Is this a joke?

Gerry for email use my name at dergal dt com

saz said:
My 73 year-old father-in-law fell for the Citibank phishing scam because
he has one of their credit cards. He gave them the credit card number,
his name, address, soc sec number, birthdate, everything.

We are fortunate that one of his sons is in the FBI computer fraud unit,
so we were able to fix things with the credit agencies within 24 hours,
but many are not so lucky.

Isn't it about time that the FBI / who ever setup a sting type operation
- give them a cc card number that will lead to them being prosecuted
..... ? ? ? ?

I get two or three of them a day (to almost redundant email addresses)
the best one is a PayPal one I saw, telling me of a dispute on the
account, I looked twice at that one ...

saz

Isn't it about time that the FBI / who ever setup a sting type operation
- give them a cc card number that will lead to them being prosecuted
.... ? ? ? ?

I get two or three of them a day (to almost redundant email addresses)
the best one is a PayPal one I saw, telling me of a dispute on the
account, I looked twice at that one ...

I already asked him that. He said that first you have to get them to
use that particular card, then trace it through the internet to that
specific machine, and half the time they used a public computer, not
their own. Unless it's a massive amount, they don't have the time or
the manpower to go after them. These crooks are smart - they keep the
purchases under $1000, because they know the authorities won't pursue
them for that small an amount.

Toby Inkster

saz said:
I already asked him that. He said that first you have to get them to
use that particular card, then trace it through the internet to that
specific machine, and half the time they used a public computer, not
their own.

So? Unless they're paying for online services, they'll probably have to
include a delivery address, right?