Is this An Error

Discussion in 'Perl' started by Ricky_newbie, Dec 3, 2004.

  1. Ricky_newbie

    Ricky_newbie Guest

    Hello,
    I don't know any thing about perl and i don't even under stan
    the script. I am SQL Server DBA. One of my Developer(Not working an
    more) wrote the perl script and i created a SQL job. My sql job return
    success, but when i see the log this is what it displays. Just wonderin
    If this is an error message? If yes, what could be the cause and how t
    resolve it. Now that the developer is not working, i have to fix it.

    Name "Win32::IPC::pack" used only once: possible typo at C:\Progra
    Files\perl\lib/Win32/IPC.pm line 51. Name "Win32::process::pack" use
    only once: possible typo at C:\Program Files\perl\lib/Win32/Process.p
    line 120. Name "main::msgpath" used only once: possible typo at

    Thanks,
    Ric

    -
    Ricky_newbi
    Ricky_newbie, Dec 3, 2004

  2. Ricky_newbie

    Jim Gibson Guest

    In article <1102102593.YUYDyY5Y87Wus0oq+zI9wg@tng>, Ricky_newbie
    <> wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I don't know any thing about perl and i don't even under stand
    > the script. I am SQL Server DBA. One of my Developer(Not working any
    > more) wrote the perl script and i created a SQL job. My sql job returns
    > success, but when i see the log this is what it displays. Just wondering
    > If this is an error message? If yes, what could be the cause and how to
    > resolve it. Now that the developer is not working, i have to fix it.
    >

    > Name "Win32::IPC::pack" used only once: possible typo at C:\Program
    > Files\perl\lib/Win32/IPC.pm line 51. Name "Win32::process::pack" used
    > only once: possible typo at C:\Program Files\perl\lib/Win32/Process.pm
    > line 120. Name "main::msgpath" used only once: possible typo at

    These are warning messages that a variable (e.g. $pack in package
    Win32::IPC) appears only once. This may happen if a programmer has
    mis-spelled a variable name or, as it appears in this case, the
    programmer is really using a variable on one line, perhaps as a
    placeholder. Looking at the code for Win32::IPC on CPAN (www.cpan.org),
    we see this:

    sub AUTOLOAD {
    # This AUTOLOAD is used to 'autoload' constants from the constant()
    # XS function.
    my($constname);
    ($constname = $AUTOLOAD) =~ s/.*:://;
    local $! = 0;
    my $val = constant($constname);
    if ($! != 0) {
    my ($pack,$file,$line) = caller;
    die "Your vendor has not defined Win32::IPC macro $constname,
    used at $file line $line.";
    }
    eval "sub $AUTOLOAD { $val }";
    goto &$AUTOLOAD;
    } # end AUTOLOAD

    The caller function returns an array (package, file, line). Thus, the
    $pack variable receives the package name of the caller and is otherwise
    ignored. The author of this package probably should have used the line

    my( undef, $file, $line ) = caller;

    instead to avoid the warning message.

    You can safely ignore the first two error messages, because the
    Win32::process package has the same defect.

    The other warings should be investigated in the same way, but may prove
    to be as benign as the first two.

    FYI: this newsgroup is defunct; try comp.lang.perl.misc in the future
    for general Perl questions, or comp.lang.perl.modules for questions
    about specific modules.
    Jim Gibson, Dec 3, 2004