Is this An Error

Ricky_newbie

Hello,
I don't know any thing about perl and i don't even under stan
the script. I am SQL Server DBA. One of my Developer(Not working an
more) wrote the perl script and i created a SQL job. My sql job return
success, but when i see the log this is what it displays. Just wonderin
If this is an error message? If yes, what could be the cause and how t
resolve it. Now that the developer is not working, i have to fix it.

Name "Win32::IPC::pack" used only once: possible typo at C:\Progra
Files\perl\lib/Win32/IPC.pm line 51. Name "Win32::process::pack" use
only once: possible typo at C:\Program Files\perl\lib/Win32/Process.p
line 120. Name "main::msgpath" used only once: possible typo at

Thanks,
Ric

-
Ricky_newbi

Jim Gibson

Ricky_newbie said:
Hello,
I don't know any thing about perl and i don't even under stand
the script. I am SQL Server DBA. One of my Developer(Not working any
more) wrote the perl script and i created a SQL job. My sql job returns
success, but when i see the log this is what it displays. Just wondering
If this is an error message? If yes, what could be the cause and how to
resolve it. Now that the developer is not working, i have to fix it.

Name "Win32::IPC::pack" used only once: possible typo at C:\Program
Files\perl\lib/Win32/IPC.pm line 51. Name "Win32::process::pack" used
only once: possible typo at C:\Program Files\perl\lib/Win32/Process.pm
line 120. Name "main::msgpath" used only once: possible typo at

These are warning messages that a variable (e.g. $pack in package
Win32::IPC) appears only once. This may happen if a programmer has
mis-spelled a variable name or, as it appears in this case, the
programmer is really using a variable on one line, perhaps as a
placeholder. Looking at the code for Win32::IPC on CPAN (www.cpan.org),
we see this:

sub AUTOLOAD {
# This AUTOLOAD is used to 'autoload' constants from the constant()
# XS function.
my($constname);
($constname = $AUTOLOAD) =~ s/.*:://;
local $! = 0;
my $val = constant($constname);
if ($! != 0) {
my ($pack,$file,$line) = caller;
die "Your vendor has not defined Win32::IPC macro $constname,
used at $file line $line.";
}
eval "sub $AUTOLOAD { $val }";
goto &$AUTOLOAD;
} # end AUTOLOAD

The caller function returns an array (package, file, line). Thus, the
$pack variable receives the package name of the caller and is otherwise
ignored. The author of this package probably should have used the line

my( undef, $file, $line ) = caller;

instead to avoid the warning message.

You can safely ignore the first two error messages, because the
Win32::process package has the same defect.

The other warings should be investigated in the same way, but may prove
to be as benign as the first two.

FYI: this newsgroup is defunct; try comp.lang.perl.misc in the future
for general Perl questions, or comp.lang.perl.modules for questions
about specific modules.