Davmagic com

From: (e-mail address removed) (mark | r)
http://www.brook.neue.co.uk/xhtmldefault
asp
ive re-coded the site to use tableless
layout, i know it looks BAD in nn4 but is
perfect in ie6 / moz
i just wondered if anyone will give me
feedback on the page's accessibility as
this site really needs to conform.

Not compatable on MSNTV Browser.....>

Web Design-Magic-Painting-Junking-Games
INFO 2000 For You
http://www.davmagic.com
See how your webpages look on a MSN-TV Browser:
Download it here: http://developer.msntv.com/Tools/msntvvwr.asp

mark said:
http://www.brook.neue.co.uk/xhtmldefault.asp

ive re-coded the site to use tableless layout, i know it looks BAD in nn4
but is perfect in ie6 / moz

i just wondered if anyone will give me feedback on the page's accessibility
as this site really needs to conform.

i am aiming the site at browser and text based browsers and am trying to get
the perfect form...

i know there will be issues with the menu but hopefully this has been
combated by the use of .js files to load this in separately.

i would appreciate constructive suggestions and solutions, not nitpicking :)

mark
http://bobby.watchfire.com/bobby/bo...t&line=line&an_errs=an_errs&stealth=Bobby/3.3
....is a link to have Bobby check your page. It's finding a few errors, and will
give suggestions for things you should look at.

Isofarro

mark said:
http://www.brook.neue.co.uk/xhtmldefault.asp

ive re-coded the site to use tableless layout, i know it looks BAD in nn4
but is perfect in ie6 / moz

i just wondered if anyone will give me feedback on the page's
accessibility as this site really needs to conform.

With Javascript, plugins and images disabled in Konqueror 3.0.0 its almost a
blank screen. No navigation (other than a home link). There's no obvious
content available, just a few links to news.asp and products.asp in various
guises.

The W3C WAI guidelines specify that your pages must work without scripting,
yet there's no <noscript> elements to provide navigation.

Looking at your source there's a list of links with a class of hidden - that
should be visible when javascript is not available.

Your Fahrner image replacement is inaccessible. See Tom Gilder's accessible
alternative instead.

Have a look at http://www.accessifyforum.com/ Theres a lot of discussion
going on there about site repairs.

mark | r

The W3C WAI guidelines specify that your pages must work without scripting,
yet there's no <noscript> elements to provide navigation.

Looking at your source there's a list of links with a class of hidden - that
should be visible when javascript is not available.

Your Fahrner image replacement is inaccessible. See Tom Gilder's accessible
alternative instead.

Have a look at http://www.accessifyforum.com/ Theres a lot of discussion
going on there about site repairs.

so you suggest using noscript over hidden classes ?

mark

mark | r

Isofarro said:
With Javascript, plugins and images disabled in Konqueror 3.0.0 its almost a
blank screen. No navigation (other than a home link). There's no obvious
content available, just a few links to news.asp and products.asp in various
guises.

The W3C WAI guidelines specify that your pages must work without scripting,
yet there's no <noscript> elements to provide navigation.

Looking at your source there's a list of links with a class of hidden - that
should be visible when javascript is not available.

Your Fahrner image replacement is inaccessible. See Tom Gilder's accessible
alternative instead.

Have a look at http://www.accessifyforum.com/ Theres a lot of discussion
going on there about site repairs.

ive seen toms script and it only works with background images to text
links - which is great in theory, but not when you have a long horizontal
nav

mark

mark

Isofarro

mark said:
The W3C WAI guidelines specify that your pages must work without
scripting,

so you suggest using noscript over hidden classes ?

Isn't the link list supposed to be the fallback when javascript is not
available? If not, then you need something to provide what you've entrusted
to javascript too.

nice.guy.nige

The W3C WAI guidelines specify that your pages must work without
scripting, yet there's no <noscript> elements to provide navigation.

IMHO, you should never need to use <noscript> to provide navigation. IMHO,
you should never need to use <noscript> at all! :)

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss.

Email address is not valid. (e-mail address removed). Take the dog out!
"How strange the change from major to minor..."

mark | r

The W3C WAI guidelines specify that your pages must work without
Isn't the link list supposed to be the fallback when javascript is not
available? If not, then you need something to provide what you've entrusted
to javascript too.

yes the list is the alternative option

mark

mark | r

The W3C WAI guidelines specify that your pages must work without
IMHO, you should never need to use <noscript> to provide navigation. IMHO,
you should never need to use <noscript> at all! :)

Cheers,
Nige

Nigel Moss.

so whats the alternative display:none or noscript?

mark

Steve Pugh

mark | r said:
so whats the alternative display:none or noscript?

JavaScript can be on or off, or on but not supporting all the
properties you need in your script.
CSS can be on or off.

Put those two together and you have six different cases.

You need somethinga that will work in all six cases.

The best solution is often to have the navigation in the plain HTML,
so when JS and CSS is off it displays and works.
Now add CSS to style it.
Now add JS, use object detection to test for all the objects and
properties that you use.
If everything is present and correct then use JS to alter the style
properties as required.

Then go and test it in a range of browsers with JS and/or CSS
disabled, making sure that you hit all six of the possible cases.
(having both a recent and an older version of Opera is useful here -
Opera makes this sort of testing easy as it allows for very quick
enabling/disabling of features and the older versions had patchy
DOM/JS support so they give you the "JS on but features not supported"
cases).

Steve

kchayka

Steve said:
The best solution is often to have the navigation in the plain HTML,
so when JS and CSS is off it displays and works.

I don't necessarily agree with this. In essence, you end up with a site
map hard-coded on every page. In cases where JS is off, long, nested
lists is little more than bloat. I side with writing the full menu
contents out using JS, so those who have it enabled get the perks of a
DHTML menu and those who don't have JS enabled don't get pages of excess
cruft as punishment. Give those users just the bare minimum via <noscript>.

A static site map should be a separate page, not incorporated on every
page. This is especially true for large menus. IMO, of course.

If this is wrong thinking, can someone explain why?

Steve Pugh

kchayka said:
I don't necessarily agree with this. In essence, you end up with a site
map hard-coded on every page. In cases where JS is off, long, nested
lists is little more than bloat.

You have to ask yourself what the purpose of the page is. If it's a
navigation page then those links need to be there for all users. It
it's a content page then the links are not needed and should not be
there for any users.

If for some reason you want lost of links on every page then you
presumably actually do want lots of links on every page.
Most users won't really care if there are lost of links stuck away
down the bottom of the page.
I side with writing the full menu contents out using JS,

via DOM manipulation or via document.write ?
so those who have it enabled get the perks of a
DHTML menu and those who don't have JS enabled don't get pages of excess
cruft as punishment. Give those users just the bare minimum via <noscript>.

Or include the top level of navigation in the HTML so it is always
present and then add the lower levels via the DOM.

Steve

kchayka

Steve said:
You have to ask yourself what the purpose of the page is. If it's a
navigation page then those links need to be there for all users.

I think one of us is confused. :) Maybe it's me, maybe I didn't quote
enough of the previous post, or maybe we have two different ideas about
what DHTML menus are.

At any rate, if it's a navigation page, like a site map or section TOC,
then we might not _need_ a DHTML menu. The page content _is_ the
navigation menu, after all.
It
it's a content page then the links are not needed and should not be
there for any users.

The usual draw of DHTML menus is to have links to pretty much everywhere
at the site available on every page, including (nested) submenu links.
If they don't belong on content pages, then they don't belong anywhere
and this discussion is pretty much moot. Or are you envisioning
something I'm not?
If for some reason you want lost of links on every page then you
presumably actually do want lots of links on every page.

But not always visible, or even always immediately accessible. Just
imagine a screen reader trying to access a (nested) submenu link,
several layers down. How many links does it have to read before it gets
to the one the user wants? How many times does that user have to go
through this long list before they are done at the site?
Most users won't really care if there are lost of links stuck away
down the bottom of the page.

You make a bold assumption on how the HTML is structured, methinks. :)
Besides, who wants to download an extra 10k on every page if they don't
have JS and won't get the kewlness of a DHTML menu? It's excess, and
something you have to hunt-and-peck your way through to use. Just give
them the links to the site map and section TOCs. That's KISS, no?

At least with JS on, the menu can be cached so it becomes a one-time
download. BTW, I picked that 10k number out of the air, but I suspect
the list markup for a large navigation menu could easily be that big,
depending on link text and such.
via DOM manipulation or via document.write ?

Does it matter? If by DOM manipulation you mean creating/adding nodes
and such, it is perhaps the more elegant method, but perhaps also less
well supported than document.write, but I'm not certain of that.
Whichever uses less code and most widely supported, thus is quicker to
download, run, and maintain, would be my preference.

Toby A Inkster

kchayka said:
But not always visible, or even always immediately accessible.

I am now of the opinion that such things are generally not a good idea to
begin with. What is needed on each page is:

- a search box or link to a search [P]
- a link to a site map [P]
- a link to the home page [P]
- a link to the 'next' page, if appropriate

and then possibly:

- a link to the page 'above' this one [S?]
- a menu of the top pages of the major subsections of the site (no more
than 6 or 7 of these)
- links to 3 or 4 related pages

Where [P] are primary navigation links -- prominent and near the top of
the page, are secondary navigation links, usually along the side of
the page and are bottom links -- preferably near the bottom of the
page.

For example, say you sell widgets and whatsits. You have three varieties
of widget (A, B and C) and three varieties of whatsits (X, Y and Z), there
is no point in having links between /widgets/a.html and /whatsits/x.html.
But it may be sane to link from /widgets/a.html to /whatsits/index.html
and from /whatsits/x.html to /widgets/index.html.

Stop confusing your users. Reduce your number of links.

Simplification of navigation is on my own TODO list. :)

Steve Pugh

kchayka said:
I think one of us is confused. :) Maybe it's me, maybe I didn't quote
enough of the previous post, or maybe we have two different ideas about
what DHTML menus are.

No confusion. I'm talking in general terms not about a specific site.
At any rate, if it's a navigation page, like a site map or section TOC,
then we might not _need_ a DHTML menu. The page content _is_ the
navigation menu, after all.

How about a home page? Definitely a navigation page, but not good to
overwhelm the user with many, many links. That's the sort of page I'd
use a dynamic menu on.
The usual draw of DHTML menus is to have links to pretty much everywhere
at the site available on every page, including (nested) submenu links.

But does it offer any real benefits for real users?

The usability problems of drop down menus are well documented. To name
just two - the (sighted) user can't see all the links initially and
has to hunt around through the menus to see if what they want is
there; and as these menus are all custom creations thay all act in
slightly different ways (different time delays; some popup on
mouseover, others on clicking; etc.).

Would the time and effort be better spent on information architecture
so that the site is better structured with appropriate links tied into
the content?

Simple example - an an e-commerce site instead having a DHTML menu
with links from every product to every other product put the effort
into well thought out cross-selling.
But not always visible, or even always immediately accessible. Just
imagine a screen reader trying to access a (nested) submenu link,
several layers down. How many links does it have to read before it gets
to the one the user wants? How many times does that user have to go
through this long list before they are done at the site?

Put the links list at the end of the page.
Use headings to break up and structure the list.

Or are you saying that users of screen readers shouldn't have access
to the same range if navigation options that users of visual browsers
do? I don't think you are.
You make a bold assumption on how the HTML is structured, methinks. :)

You're making the links appear and disappear with JS.
Why not reposition them with JS as well?
Besides, who wants to download an extra 10k on every page if they don't
have JS and won't get the kewlness of a DHTML menu?

The users who want to have a link to every page from every page. Those
are presumably the people this is all done in aid of. Whether they get
those links presented in a kewl (but really, DHTML menus are so year
before last) fashion or not is secondary to the fact that presumably
the users want the links to be there.
It's excess, and
something you have to hunt-and-peck your way through to use. Just give
them the links to the site map and section TOCs. That's KISS, no?

Yes. Bingo. That's why it's a bad idea to have lots of navigation
links on content pages. Regardless of how they are presented.
At least with JS on, the menu can be cached so it becomes a one-time
download. BTW, I picked that 10k number out of the air, but I suspect
the list markup for a large navigation menu could easily be that big,
depending on link text and such.

The cost of the JS code can be much more than the cost of the actual
links. And the download time for the first page a visitor comes to is
the most important one .
Does it matter? If by DOM manipulation you mean creating/adding nodes
and such, it is perhaps the more elegant method, but perhaps also less
well supported than document.write, but I'm not certain of that.
Whichever uses less code and most widely supported, thus is quicker to
download, run, and maintain, would be my preference.

The advantage of creating DOM nodes over document.write is that you
don't need any <script> elements in the body of the page. Which I will
admit largely appeals on grounds of elegance but which can have
maintenance and flexibility advantages as well.

As for support, we're talking IE5+ and NN6+ (and others). If you want
to support NN4 and IE4 as well you have to go ye olde route but you
also have to write branched code anyway to cover the custom
document.all and document.layers models that they use, which just adds
to the file size. Having three versions of the code for what is only
an enhancement is overkill.

Steve

kchayka

Toby said:
Stop confusing your users. Reduce your number of links.

Simplification of navigation is on my own TODO list. :)

Groovy :)

Sometimes, less is indeed more.

Headless

Steve said:
Or are you saying that users of screen readers shouldn't have access
to the same range if navigation options that users of visual browsers
do?

For a site with a 7 link navbar I've recently concluded that there are 2
contradicting requirements.

For linear/1 dimensional access (screen readers/speaking browsers) of
the sub pages a single link back to the index page would be ideal,
thereby preventing the imo pointless reading out of the navbar links on
every sub page.

This doesn't apply to 2 dimensional (visual) access of the same
documents imo, users can effortlessly skip over the navbar, and it
facilitates quick "zapping" of a site's content.

Headless