is this idea better suited for Javascript or Flash?

Paul

I have a product that contains several components. I want the user to come
to my site and "build a product" out of the available components.

I envision something like this:
- user sees a basic product on the page
- clicks on a component to view options for that component
- can change components, mix and match by clicking on each component and
selecting from the options available to arrive at a final product they want.
- ideally, then they would click a button to email their contact info to us
for us to build it or contact them.

Is this better built in flash or javascript?

I ask because I might be able to squeal it out in javascript but would
outsource it in flash.

Thanks for your insight and replies.

cwdjrxyz

Paul said:
I have a product that contains several components. I want the user to come
to my site and "build a product" out of the available components.

I envision something like this:
- user sees a basic product on the page
- clicks on a component to view options for that component
- can change components, mix and match by clicking on each component and
selecting from the options available to arrive at a final product they want.
- ideally, then they would click a button to email their contact info to us
for us to build it or contact them.

Is this better built in flash or javascript?

I ask because I might be able to squeal it out in javascript but would
outsource it in flash.

What you wish to do sounds much like an elaborate shopping cart. You
offer a basic product that is first selected. Then you select from a
list or lists, often dropdown, for options. In some cases you may want
to display the basic product with option after the option is selected.
This sounds much like an eCommerce type of program that often is
installed on the server. Some hosts that cater to small business have
eCommerce programs and secure pages installed on the servers on which
they rent space. Sometimes there is an extra charge for using these
features. If such a one-size-fits-all program is not right for you, you
might well need to pay someone to write you a custom program or modify
an existing one - unless you have done quite a bit with server side
code before. It is difficult to give a good answer unless minute
details are provided, since the devil is in the details for how simple
or complex such a program may be.