Is this impossible via XSL?

kbozek

Given this XML segment - Note it is a representation of concept of the
data I am using.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<root>
<car>
<CarInfo vin = "4FL200212345">
<Owner>J. P. Morgan</Owner>
</CarInfo>
</car >

<car>
<CarInfo vin = "3CL200212345">
<Owner>J.P. Thompson</Owner>
</CarInfo>
</car >

<carSpecifics vin = "4FL200212345">
<CarMake xrefId = "XREF12345">
<Color>Red</Color>
<Style>Sedan</Style>
</CarMake>
</carSpecifics>

<carSpecifics vin = "3CL200212345">
<CarMake xrefId = "XREF67890">
<Color>Red</Color>
<Style>Sedan</Style>
</CarMake>
</carSpecifics>

<CarXref xrefId = "XREF12345" >
<Incident>Friday Crash</Incident>
</CarXref>

<CarXref xrefId = "XREF67890" >
<Incident>Sat Crash</Incident>
</CarXref>

</root>

I need to walk all car nodes. With the goal of outputting only the
CarXref\Incident node.
Per each attribute VIN, I need to obtain the carSpecifics
\CarMake@xrefId. From that I need to output the CarXref\Incident node
associated with a xrefId. For example. CarInfo vin = "4FL200212345
matches to carSpecifics vin = "4FL200212345" which has an CarMake
xrefId = "XREF67890" which in turn has CarXref xrefId = "XREF12345"
with contents of CarXref\Incident Friday Crash. I want to output
this.

I know this sounds insane, but the XML file I have been given is in
this structure and I have to transform only parts of its contents.
I am beginning to believe that I have to use a regular XML parser as I
cannot determine how XSL would let me do this. I can get CarMake
xrefId yet I have to output text via the xsl-value of and I cannot get
to the final node.

Joe Kesselman

No, it is not impossible. Rather standard sort of selection task,
actually...

Joe Kesselman

Not sure why the spam was posted in response to my comment, but I want
to explicitly disavow any knowledge or support therefor.