is this newsgroup for newbies

Antoninus Twink

or advanced ?

This group enjoys posts from newbies because it can tear them to shreds
for its own amusement.

But mainly this group is for language lawyers who want to argue all day
about irrelevant details and corner cases, and have complete contempt
for anyone attempting to use C in the real world.

Julienne Walker

or advanced ?

It's for everyone, but you'll find more advanced discussions than
beginner stuff. For more basic discussions, you might try
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++.

-Jul

Flash Gordon

A2B wrote, On 06/12/07 18:31:
or advanced ?

Here we tend to expect beginners to show signs of having made a serious
attempt at solving their problem before asking for help. This should
include looking at the comp.lang.c FAQ which is at http://c-faq.com/ and
looking things up in a text book. Don't worry if you have problems
understanding some of what is in the FAQ since not all of it is beginner
material.

You should also read http://clc-wiki.net/wiki/intro_to_clc and
http://clc-wiki.net/wiki/C_community:comp.lang.c:Portability_attitude to
get a better understanding of what many of the regulars think.

Don't worry if code you post here gets "ripped to shreds". People who
have been programming in C for years still have their code ripped to
shreds here, but if you can step back from your code and accept the
criticisms as being criticisms of the code and not of you then you will
find that you can learn a *lot* from the problems people point out in
your code.

Finally, ignore A.Twink, it is one of the resident trolls.

Mark McIntyre

A2B said:
or advanced ?

Both. Though discussions often get very advanced very quickly...

But do lurk for a while first, and read the "Welcome" message and FAQ
referenced in my sig.

Richard Heathfield

A2B said:
[is this newsgroup for newbies] or advanced ?

Both. This newsgroup is for anyone who wishes to discuss the C programming
language.

As you will quickly discover, there are C experts here who are very willing
to help you to get past sticking-points in your learning.

(There are also several incompetent bozos whose objective seems to be as
unpleasant and obstructive as possible, but you'll soon identify those for
yourself, since they hardly ever discuss C, and even when they try, they
get it wrong. They can safely be ignored.)

For talking around various aspects of the C language and thus helping you
to gain familiarity with them, this group is pretty good.

What this group *won't* do is teach you, or even try to teach you, C
programming. For that, you will need a good teacher or a very good book;
you will find a list of very good C books at this URL:

<http://www.cpax.org.uk/prg/portable/c/resources.php>.

But if you get stuck, read the FAQ (the URL for which can also be found on
that page). If you can't find your question there, by all means ask it
here.

Charlton Wilbur

FG> Don't worry if code you post here gets "ripped to
FG> shreds". People who have been programming in C for years still
FG> have their code ripped to shreds here, but if you can step
FG> back from your code and accept the criticisms as being
FG> criticisms of the code and not of you then you will find that
FG> you can learn a *lot* from the problems people point out in
FG> your code.

On the other hand, few things are more happy-making than posting code
in here, seeing a few of the resident experts comment on it, and *not*
having it ripped to shreds.

Charlton

jameskuyper

A2B said:
or advanced ?

This newsgroup is, ideally, a place where newbies can go to post
questions about using the C language that people with more advanced
knowledge of C can answer. It's also a place those people can discuss
things with each other. They can also argue with each other. On
occasion, they can engage in bitter flame wars. That's life in an
unmoderated newsgroup. Personally, I prefer moderated newsgroups, but
for some reason comp.lang.c.moderated is a ghost town.

If you post a question to this newsgroup, any little detail of your
question might prompt one of the more advanced people to make a
comment that will trigger yet another flame war. Be warned.

santosh

(e-mail address removed) wrote:

[ ... ]
Personally, I prefer moderated newsgroups, but
for some reason comp.lang.c.moderated is a ghost town.

Traffic on C language is usually too high for practical moderation. As a
result posts can take days to appear on c.l.c.m after they have been
sent. That was probably the reason that no one favours it.
If you post a question to this newsgroup, any little detail of your
question might prompt one of the more advanced people to make a
comment that will trigger yet another flame war. Be warned.

The term flame war is misleading. In war you have no choice. On Usenet
you always have the choice of ignoring useless posts/threads.

vlsidesign

A2B said:
[is this newsgroup for newbies] or advanced ?

Both. This newsgroup is for anyone who wishes to discuss the C programming
language.

As you will quickly discover, there are C experts here who are very willing
to help you to get past sticking-points in your learning.

This newsgroup is awesome. Normally you would have to pay good money
to get the type of insight that is given. Thanks for the awesome
contributions from the experts.

Kenny McCormack

One of (yet another one of) RH's sock puppets said:
This newsgroup is awesome. Normally you would have to pay good money
to get the type of insight that is given. Thanks for the awesome
contributions from the experts.

Yeah. Right.

Kenneth Brody

A2B said:
or advanced ?

"What they said." :)

Also, please realize that what is discussed here is "C", as defined
by the ISO standards. It does not include extensions to the language,
such as network I/O, graphics, and so on, even if you are using a
"standard" API, as there are other places where those topics can be
discussed.

There are numerous reasons for limiting the discussion to just the
ISO C standards. Among these (in no particular order) are the fact
that allowing discussions of anything written in "C", regardless of
the extensions being used, would dilute the intent of this group,
which is to focus on standard C itself. Also, while most of the
regulars here know numerous such extensions (even "standard" ones),
no one knows all. If someone were to post an answer on one of
these topics, and that answer was wrong, or included bad advice for
that particular extension, the others here couldn't point that out.
Finally, there are usually better venus for discussing such topics,
such as the many Microsoft groups for discussing Windows programs,
or numerous Unix groups for discussing things such as TCP/IP or
POSIX functions.

Malcolm McLean

Kenny McCormack said:
Yeah. Right.
Richard Heathfield is generous with the amount of effort he devotes to
helping newbies.
You can say other things against him, but I think you've got to grant that.

Kenny McCormack

Richard Heathfield is generous with the amount of effort he devotes to
helping newbies.

Helping them to the door, you mean.

At best, the help is "go see newsgroup xyz and re-ask your question
there". Now, as an experienced Usenetter (and, presumably native
speaker of English), you may think this is just fine (and you may not
see how cruel it is), but trust me, as a newbie, you just don't want to
hear that sort of crap. Especially when you know damn well that they
could easily answer it, and that they are feigning ignorance of what
you're asking.
You can say other things against him, but I think you've got to grant that.

I don't people credit for effort. I.e., if the help is useless, then
the effort is worse than nothing.

CBFalconer

Malcolm said:
Richard Heathfield is generous with the amount of effort he
devotes to helping newbies. You can say other things against
him, but I think you've got to grant that.

Please don't amuse the McCormack troll with responses.

Kenny McCormack

Please don't amuse the McCormack troll with responses.

Um, Malcolm has a brain. He cannot be pushed around by you turkeys.

I know you and Thompson are used to being able to push the newbies
around, but it won't work here.