Is this really impossible??

Discussion in 'Java' started by oldschool, Mar 4, 2005.

  1. oldschool

    oldschool Guest

    Hi folks,

    I am trying to design a new feature for a java-based product and I
    have been told by our engineering team that what I want to do is
    impossible. Now I'm not new to programming but almost all of it (~20
    years worth) is in C, so I know things like this can be done but I'm
    not is a position to make a statement w.r.t. java. Can anyone please
    help and say at least if there is a solution??

    The problem:
    I am trying to design an overview window (called a dashboard) which is
    basically just a container for simple graphics (line graphs, pies,
    etc.)
    It has 4 quadrands divided by framesets (moveable), and is initially
    empty.
    This dashboard is spawned off by a master application. Now what I'd
    like to be able to do is simply right-click on a graph displayed in
    the master application where I then get the option to send the graph
    to one of the quadrants within the dashboard.

    In this way, I can keep an overview of the graphs I really need to see
    in the dashboard while still being able to leave that graph and
    traverse through various menus and other parts of the master
    application.

    This essentially involves knowing the details of what needs to be
    graphed or displayed, but, instead of simply displaying them in the
    master window, they should be able to be displayed in a separate child
    window (dashboard) and kept running in that window even when the
    master process moves on to other things.

    I'm assuming that each quadrant within the dashboard will have it's
    own thread to manage it's own graph. Or maybe these threads can be
    part of the master and only redirect. Either way, surely it's possible
    in java for one process to redirect graphics to the window context of
    one of it's own child processes?

    I hope I explained everything enough to give a general feel for what I
    need.
    Is this asking for too much technically (i.e. impossible in java) or
    am I being fed a load.

    Any feedback very much welcome.
     
    oldschool, Mar 4, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. oldschool

    shakah Guest

    Sounds like a basic model/view/controller design, and of course it can
    be done in Java.

    Almost everything is possible in software -- I've found that when a
    software person says something can't be done it either means "it's too
    hard to do", "I don't want to do it", "I don't know how to do it", or
    even worse "I think I know everything, so if I don't know how to do it
    it must be impossible" (the last one is frightening to deal with).
     
    shakah, Mar 4, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. oldschool wrote:

    > I am trying to design a new feature for a java-based product and I
    > have been told by our engineering team that what I want to do is
    > impossible. Now I'm not new to programming but almost all of it (~20
    > years worth) is in C, so I know things like this can be done but I'm
    > not is a position to make a statement w.r.t. java. Can anyone please
    > help and say at least if there is a solution??


    At the level of your description (omitted), I don't see any particular
    reason to think it wouldn't be possible. Perhaps your engineering
    personnel are hung up on some of the details? As a last resort,
    anything that can be done in C can be interfaced to Java via JNI, but
    nothing you described made me think even that would be necessary.

    --
    John Bollinger
     
    John C. Bollinger, Mar 4, 2005
    #3
  4. oldschool

    Malte Guest

    oldschool wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I am trying to design a new feature for a java-based product and I
    > have been told by our engineering team that what I want to do is
    > impossible. Now I'm not new to programming but almost all of it (~20
    > years worth) is in C, so I know things like this can be done but I'm
    > not is a position to make a statement w.r.t. java. Can anyone please
    > help and say at least if there is a solution??


    Can't see why this should be impossible. Obviously, one would need to be
    very familiar with drawing 2D and have an intimate knowledge of Swing,
    but other than than...
     
    Malte, Mar 4, 2005
    #4
  5. oldschool

    oldschool Guest

    Malte <forgetme@spam_here.nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<d0ap2o$2894$>...
    > oldschool wrote:
    > > Hi folks,
    > >
    > > I am trying to design a new feature for a java-based product and I
    > > have been told by our engineering team that what I want to do is
    > > impossible. Now I'm not new to programming but almost all of it (~20
    > > years worth) is in C, so I know things like this can be done but I'm
    > > not is a position to make a statement w.r.t. java. Can anyone please
    > > help and say at least if there is a solution??

    >
    > Can't see why this should be impossible. Obviously, one would need to be
    > very familiar with drawing 2D and have an intimate knowledge of Swing,
    > but other than than...


    Thanks very much to everyone to responded to my post. It reinforces my
    suspicions all along. I couldn't obviously write in every detail of
    the requirement because that would have been an entire document, but
    the underlying complexity is no more than as described.

    This seems to be a case for 'gentle persuasion' and diplomacy as
    opposed to any technical hurdle, which in a lot of cases is nearly
    worse. At any rate, it certainly motivates me to learn java. Who says
    you can't teach an old dog new tricks..

    Thanks again,
    Joe
     
    oldschool, Mar 5, 2005
    #5
  6. oldschool

    Chris Uppal Guest

    oldschool wrote:

    > Either way, surely it's possible
    > in java for one process to redirect graphics to the window context of
    > one of it's own child processes?


    It may be this expression that is confusing the people you are talking to. I
    doubt if you really mean that you want to have separate OS processes in this
    architecture, but if that /is/ what you really mean then it is indeed
    impossible.

    (Meaning "as impossible as it ever gets in software" -- more effort than its
    likely to be worth.)

    -- chris
     
    Chris Uppal, Mar 5, 2005
    #6
  7. On 05-03-2005 12:50, Chris Uppal wrote:
    > oldschool wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Either way, surely it's possible
    >>in java for one process to redirect graphics to the window context of
    >>one of it's own child processes?

    >
    >
    > It may be this expression that is confusing the people you are talking to. I
    > doubt if you really mean that you want to have separate OS processes in this
    > architecture, but if that /is/ what you really mean then it is indeed
    > impossible.
    >
    > (Meaning "as impossible as it ever gets in software" -- more effort than its
    > likely to be worth.)
    >
    > -- chris
    >
    >

    Agreed, I think a problem with these requirements (as stated here) is
    that it contains a mix of real user requirements and implementation
    details. These implementation choices might not be the best solution to
    your problem, and therefore pose undesirable limitations. I can
    understand that some engineers might have a problem with that.

    But I understand this is only a small excerpt of your real requirements
    document (which should only describe the problem from the user domain
    and not contain terms like "frameset", "thread", "process")...

    Hope this helps,
    -- paul
     
    Paul van Rossem, Mar 5, 2005
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Amir
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    601
  2. nc
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    504
    nice.guy.nige
    Feb 3, 2005
  3. Soren Kuula

    Really impossible in XPath 1.0?

    Soren Kuula, Mar 17, 2005, in forum: XML
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    355
    Soren Kuula
    Mar 17, 2005
  4. Juha Nieminen
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,157
    Juha Nieminen
    Feb 22, 2008
  5. Replies:
    5
    Views:
    264
    Michele Dondi
    Jun 30, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page