Is this the newsgroup for CSS help? CSS Question Included

Discussion in 'HTML' started by AF, Aug 6, 2006.

  1. AF

    AF Guest

    Is this the group for CSS questions?

    If so here is one. If not where can I post this.

    I have a bunch of links through my web pages, like these:

    <a class=FootNote href="http://www.bscinc.net">annuity</a>,
    <a class=FootNote href="http://www.bscinc.net">variable annuity</a>,
    <a class=FootNote href=“http://www.bscinc.net”>tax sheltered
    annuity</a>,

    Please note that I use the "class=FootNote" to format the links. It
    works well.

    But it is a pain to keep typing.

    Is there a way to do the formatting at a higher level?

    For example, I thought I could use something like

    or

    and then show the links like this

    and get the formatting I want.

    I tried this, but I can't seem to make it work.

    Do I have a problem in my web page code or in my css file?

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks.

    Best regards,

    Al
    http://www.bscinc.net
    http://www.affordablefloridainsurance.com
    http://www.americanltci.com

    AF, Aug 6, 2006

  2. AF

    Rik Guest

    AF wrote:
    > Is this the group for CSS questions?
    >
    > If so here is one. If not where can I post this.
    >
    > I have a bunch of links through my web pages, like these:
    >
    > <a class=FootNote href="http://www.bscinc.net">annuity</a>,
    > <a class=FootNote href="http://www.bscinc.net">variable annuity</a>,
    > <a class=FootNote href="http://www.bscinc.net">tax sheltered
    > annuity</a>,
    >
    > Please note that I use the "class=FootNote" to format the links. It
    > works well.
    >
    > But it is a pain to keep typing.
    >
    > Is there a way to do the formatting at a higher level?
    >
    > For example, I thought I could use something like

    It seems like an unordered list to me?
    so:
    <ul id="footnote">
    <li><a ...</a></li>
    <li><a ...</a></li>
    <li><a ...</a></li>
    </ul>

    And apply formatting in css to
    #footnote{

    }
    #footnote li{

    }
    and/or
    #footnote a{

    }

    comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets is a good CSS group BTW.

    Grtz,
    --
    Rik Wasmus

    Rik, Aug 6, 2006

  3. AF

    AF Guest

    On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 21:37:19 +0200, "Rik" <>
    wrote
    :

    >And apply formatting in css to
    >#footnote{
    >
    >}
    >#footnote li{
    >
    >}
    >and/or
    >#footnote a{

    Thanks for the post. It is not a list.

    Here is my css statements to give you an idea:

    ..FootNote {
    FONT-SIZE: 8pt;
    COLOR: #000000;
    FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif, sans-serif;
    TEXT-DECORATION: NONE;
    }

    A.FootNote:link {
    FONT-SIZE: 7pt;
    COLOR: #000000;
    FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif, sans-serif;
    TEXT-DECORATION: NONE;
    }

    A.FootNote:visited {
    FONT-SIZE: 7pt;
    COLOR: #000000;
    FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif, sans-serif;
    TEXT-DECORATION: NONE;
    }

    A.FootNote:hover {
    FONT-SIZE: 7pt;
    COLOR: #000000;
    FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif, sans-serif;
    TEXT-DECORATION: NONE;
    }

    A.FootNote:active {
    FONT-SIZE: 7pt;
    COLOR: #000000;
    FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif, sans-serif;
    TEXT-DECORATION: NONE;
    }

    It looks like my problem is in the css file.

    How show I modify the above?

    Thanks for your help
    Best regards,

    AF, Aug 6, 2006
  4. AF

    wrote:

    >And apply formatting in css to
    >#footnote{
    >
    >}
    >#footnote li{
    >
    >}
    >and/or
    >#footnote a{
    >
    >}

    Nevermind my preceding post.

    Based on your remail, I changed my css to read

    #FootNote {
    FONT-SIZE: 8pt;
    COLOR: #000000;
    FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif, sans-serif;
    TEXT-DECORATION: NONE;
    }

    #FootNote A:link {
    FONT-SIZE: 7pt;
    COLOR: #000000;
    FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif, sans-serif;
    TEXT-DECORATION: NONE;
    }

    #FootNote A:visited {
    FONT-SIZE: 7pt;
    COLOR: #000000;
    FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif, sans-serif;
    TEXT-DECORATION: NONE;
    }

    #FootNote A:hover {
    FONT-SIZE: 7pt;
    COLOR: #000000;
    FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif, sans-serif;
    TEXT-DECORATION: NONE;
    }

    #FootNote A:active {
    FONT-SIZE: 7pt;
    COLOR: #000000;
    FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif, sans-serif;
    TEXT-DECORATION: NONE;
    }

    And it works fine now. Thanks for your email reply which lead me to
    the answer.

    And thanks to everyone who posts here.

    AF, Aug 6, 2006
  5. AF wrote:

    > Based on your remail, I changed my css to read
    >
    > #FootNote {
    > FONT-SIZE: 8pt;

    Points are for printing. 8 of them is waaay too small to read. Use
    percentages. 100 of them.
    http://k75s.home.att.net/fontsize.html

    > COLOR: #000000;
    > FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif, sans-serif;

    You do not need to specify family for every class. Specify it once for
    the body { } element. Drop the Sans-serif and just use sans-serif.

    > TEXT-DECORATION: NONE;

    How will anyone know it is a link if you remove the underlines?

    > And it works fine now. Thanks for your email reply which lead me to
    > the answer.

    Fine? For some value of "fine" perhaps. How about you post the URL
    where this code is used?

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 6, 2006
  6. AF wrote:
    > Is this the group for CSS questions?
    >
    > If so here is one. If not where can I post this.
    >
    > I have a bunch of links through my web pages, like these:
    >
    > <a class=FootNote href="http://www.bscinc.net">annuity</a>,
    > <a class=FootNote href="http://www.bscinc.net">variable annuity</a>,
    > <a class=FootNote href=“http://www.bscinc.net”>tax sheltered
    > annuity</a>,
    >
    > Please note that I use the "class=FootNote" to format the links. It
    > works well.
    >
    > But it is a pain to keep typing.
    >
    > Is there a way to do the formatting at a higher level?
    >
    > For example, I thought I could use something like

    > or

    ..FootNote A { whatever your want to style your links }

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Aug 6, 2006
  7. AF

    AF Guest

    On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 20:20:55 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >Points are for printing. 8 of them is waaay too small to read. Use
    >percentages. 100 of them.
    >http://k75s.home.att.net/fontsize.html

    I see your point, no bun intended.

    Where can I go, ie what are the urls, to find out more about the
    "correct" methods of specifying font size for the Web?

    By the way, I have tried several mthods but always had problems when
    viewing pages in MS IE or in FireFox. I never could get the size I
    wanted using smlaa, medium, large type specifications. That is why I
    started using 10pt, 12pt, etc.

    Thanks for your post.

    Best regards,

    AF

    AF, Aug 7, 2006
  8. AF

    AF Guest

    AF, Aug 7, 2006
  9. AF wrote:

    > On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 20:20:55 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    > <> wrote:
    >> Points are for printing. 8 of them is waaay too small to read. Use
    >> percentages. 100 of them. http://k75s.home.att.net/fontsize.html

    > I see your point, no bun intended.

    Do you have a bun in the oven? <g>

    > Where can I go, ie what are the urls, to find out more about the
    > "correct" methods of specifying font size for the Web?

    Any of thousands of posts in these newsgroups that discuss the matter
    several times per week?

    > By the way, I have tried several mthods but always had problems when
    > viewing pages in MS IE or in FireFox. I never could get the size I
    > wanted using smlaa, medium, large type specifications. That is why I
    > started using 10pt, 12pt, etc.

    It was right there on my page:

    "This column has the text size set at 100% and you will be able to
    adjust it to a suitable size. 100% is your default size. CSS: body {
    font-size: 100%; }"

    If you're not sure what that means, please ask.

    Don't use px either...

    > Thanks for your post.

    You're welcome.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 7, 2006
  10. AF

    Andy Mabbett Guest

    In message <>, AF
    <bscinc@Yahoo_NoSpam.com> writes

    [of a series of links]

    >It is not a list.

    Yes it is.

    Compact Oxford English Dictionary:

    list noun - a number of connected items or names written
    consecutively

    --
    Andy Mabbett
    Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards: <http://www.no2id.net/>

    Free Our Data: <http://www.freeourdata.org.uk>

    Andy Mabbett, Aug 7, 2006
  11. AF

    Rik Guest

    Andy Mabbett wrote:
    > In message <>, AF
    > <bscinc@Yahoo_NoSpam.com> writes
    >
    > [of a series of links]
    >
    >> It is not a list.

    > Yes it is.
    >
    > Compact Oxford English Dictionary:
    >
    > list noun - a number of connected items or names written
    > consecutively

    Yup. But as a lot of people seemingly have some unfounded bizar hatred for
    lists, I tend not to push the subject :).

    Grtz,
    --
    Rik Wasmus

    Rik, Aug 7, 2006
  12. AF

    AF Guest

    On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 21:57:50 +0100, Andy Mabbett
    <> wrote:

    >In message <>, AF
    ><bscinc@Yahoo_NoSpam.com> writes
    >
    >[of a series of links]
    >
    >>It is not a list.

    Excuse me for not being more precise.

    I meant to say, "I do not want to use the <li> code for this group of
    items."

    Specifically, what I want my data to look like is,

    item 1, item 2, item 3, item 4,

    Someone misread what I wrote and thought that I was looking for a
    formated list like

    item 1
    item 2
    item 3
    item 4

    Either way whether this is a English language, Oxford dictionary list,
    or an html code <list>, is not relevant to my request for an html
    editor.

    AF, Aug 7, 2006
  13. AF

    AF Guest

    On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 19:20:55 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    snip

    >"This column has the text size set at 100% and you will be able to
    >adjust it to a suitable size. 100% is your default size. CSS: body {
    >font-size: 100%; }"
    >
    >If you're not sure what that means, please ask.

    I played around with this a little and got it to work. Using the 100%
    or whatever size I want did solve a lot of my "font size" problems
    especially between MSIE and FireFox.

    Thanks to everyone on this post. I learned a lot from this.

    AF, Aug 7, 2006
  14. AF

    Rik Guest

    AF wrote:
    > On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 21:57:50 +0100, Andy Mabbett
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>, AF
    >> <bscinc@Yahoo_NoSpam.com> writes
    >>
    >> [of a series of links]
    >>
    >>> It is not a list.

    > Excuse me for not being more precise.
    >
    > I meant to say, "I do not want to use the <li> code for this group of
    > items."
    >
    > Specifically, what I want my data to look like is,
    >
    > item 1, item 2, item 3, item 4,
    >
    > Someone misread what I wrote and thought that I was looking for a
    > formated list like
    >
    > item 1
    > item 2
    > item 3
    > item 4

    Nope. I didn't say you wanted a _formatted_ list, just a list. If you're
    going to use a container you might as well use the right one. It's 'a lot of
    work' (3 minutes?) to bring the standard formatting of a list by the major
    browsers back to your desired format, but more correct then a <div> I'd
    think.

    Grtz,
    --
    Rik Wasmus

    Rik, Aug 7, 2006
  15. On 2006-08-07, AF wrote:
    > On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 21:57:50 +0100, Andy Mabbett
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>In message <>, AF
    >><bscinc@Yahoo_NoSpam.com> writes
    >>
    >>[of a series of links]
    >>
    >>>It is not a list.

    > Excuse me for not being more precise.
    >
    > I meant to say, "I do not want to use the <li> code for this group of
    > items."
    >
    > Specifically, what I want my data to look like is,
    >
    > item 1, item 2, item 3, item 4,
    >
    > Someone misread what I wrote and thought that I was looking for a
    > formated list like
    >
    > item 1
    > item 2
    > item 3
    > item 4

    CSS can present a list that way, too:

    ul {
    list-style-type: none;
    }

    li {
    display: inline;

    Author:

    Chris F.A. Johnson, Aug 7, 2006
  16. AF wrote:
    > On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 21:57:50 +0100, Andy Mabbett
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>, AF
    >> <bscinc@Yahoo_NoSpam.com> writes
    >>
    >> [of a series of links]
    >>
    >>> It is not a list.

    > Excuse me for not being more precise.
    >
    > I meant to say, "I do not want to use the <li> code for this group of
    > items."
    >
    > Specifically, what I want my data to look like is,
    >
    > item 1, item 2, item 3, item 4,
    >
    > Someone misread what I wrote and thought that I was looking for a
    > formated list like
    >
    > item 1
    > item 2
    > item 3
    > item 4
    >
    > Either way whether this is a English language, Oxford dictionary list,
    > or an html code <list>, is not relevant to my request for an html
    > editor.

    Technically is it still a list, and as Chris has posted lists to not
    have to be vertical, you can make your list horizontal. The markup, (the
    HTML part), should be a list and how it appears, (that is the
    presentation part) the CSS, is defined in your stylesheet can be anyway
    you wish.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Aug 8, 2006
  17. AF

    Nije Nego Guest

    On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 19:55:40 GMT, AF wrote:

    > FONT-SIZE: 8pt;

    > FONT-SIZE: 7pt;

    > FONT-SIZE: 7pt;

    > A.FootNote:active {
    > FONT-SIZE: 7pt;
    > COLOR: #000000;
    > FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif, sans-serif;
    > TEXT-DECORATION: NONE;
    > }
    >
    > It looks like my problem is in the css file.
    >
    > How show I modify the above?

    Start with ems or % instead pt.

    --
    buy, bought, bye

    Nije Nego, Aug 9, 2006
  18. AF

    Nije Nego Guest

    On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 21:26:05 GMT, AF wrote:

    > Specifically, what I want my data to look like is,
    >
    > item 1, item 2, item 3, item 4,

    This is an inline list.

    --
    buy, bought, bye