is this whiff/wsgi claim true?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Aaron Watters, Sep 25, 2009.

  1. Hi folks. I just modified the WHIFF concepts index page

    http://aaron.oirt.rutgers.edu/myapp/docs/W1000.concepts

    To include the following paragraph with a startling and arrogant
    claim in the final sentence :)

    """
    Developers build WHIFF applications much like they build
    static web content, PHP applications, JSP pages, or ASP
    pages among others -- the developer "drops" files into a
    directory, and the files are automatically used to respond
    to URLs related to the filename.
    **This intuitive and ubiquitous approach to organizing
    web components is not automatically supported by other
    WSGI infrastructures.**
    """

    [I go on to illustrate the concept with examples...]

    Is the final sentence true? Are there other WSGI approach
    which make deploying a dynamic page as easy as putting
    an HTML file in a static directory? If I'm lying I'd like to
    correct the statement and my knowledge of what else is out
    there is faulty and incomplete, so please correct me.

    Thanks, -- Aaron Watters

    ===

    less is more
    Aaron Watters, Sep 25, 2009

  2. On Sep 25, 4:26 pm, Aaron Watters <> wrote:
    > Hi folks.  I just modified the WHIFF concepts index page
    >
    >    http://aaron.oirt.rutgers.edu/myapp/docs/W1000.concepts
    >
    > To include the following paragraph with a startling and arrogant
    > claim in the final sentence :)
    >
    > """
    > Developers build WHIFF applications much like they build
    > static web content, PHP applications, JSP pages, or ASP
    > pages among others -- the developer "drops" files into a
    > directory, and the files are automatically used to respond
    > to URLs related to the filename.
    > **This intuitive and ubiquitous approach to organizing
    > web components is not automatically supported by other
    > WSGI infrastructures.**
    > """
    >
    > [I go on to illustrate the concept with examples...]
    >
    > Is the final sentence true?  Are there other WSGI approach
    > which make deploying a dynamic page as easy as putting
    > an HTML file in a static directory?  If I'm lying I'd like to
    > correct the statement and my knowledge of what else is out
    > there is faulty and incomplete, so please correct me.
    >
    > Thanks,  -- Aaron Watters

    To me, it looks like the approach Quixote used long before the coming
    of WSGI
    (see http://www.quixote.ca/learn/1 "How Quixote Works").

    M.S.
    Michele Simionato, Sep 25, 2009

  3. regarding http://aaron.oirt.rutgers.edu/myapp/docs/W1000.concepts

    Michele Simionato writes:
    > To me, it looks like the approach Quixote used long before the coming
    > of WSGI
    > (see http://www.quixote.ca/learn/1 "How Quixote Works").

    This a fair comparison and you could
    also note similarities with
    to modpy/publisher and even CGI but
    none of these are WSGI components
    or infrastructures whereas WHIFF is both a WSGI
    component and an infrastructure. So this is
    not the counterexample I was looking for.
    -- Aaron Watters

    ===
    - She turned me into a newt!
    - A newt?
    - ...I got better.
    Aaron Watters, Sep 25, 2009
  4. Aaron Watters

    Guest

    On 25 Sep, 02:26 pm, wrote:
    >Hi folks. I just modified the WHIFF concepts index page
    >
    > http://aaron.oirt.rutgers.edu/myapp/docs/W1000.concepts
    >
    >To include the following paragraph with a startling and arrogant
    >claim in the final sentence :)
    >
    >"""
    >Developers build WHIFF applications much like they build
    >static web content, PHP applications, JSP pages, or ASP
    >pages among others -- the developer "drops" files into a
    >directory, and the files are automatically used to respond
    >to URLs related to the filename.
    >**This intuitive and ubiquitous approach to organizing
    >web components is not automatically supported by other
    >WSGI infrastructures.**
    >"""

    This sounds like Twisted Web's RPY files:

    http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/web/documentation/howto/using-
    twistedweb.html#auto5

    Although you may be talking about something that is more closely tied to
    WSGI than this feature is in Twisted Web.

    Jean-Paul
    , Sep 26, 2009

  5. > Hi folks. I just modified the WHIFF concepts index page

    > http://aaron.oirt.rutgers.edu/myapp/docs/W1000.concepts
    >
    > To include the following paragraph with a startling and arrogant
    > claim in the final sentence :)

    mod_wsgi (the apache module) can be configured to automatically run any
    ..wsgi file dropped in a folder just like CGI ... see here
    http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/ConfigurationDirectives#WSGIScriptAlias

    --
    дамјан ( http://softver.org.mk/damjan/ )

    Today we create the legacy of tomorrow.
    Дамјан ГеоргиевÑки, Sep 28, 2009
  6. regarding

    On Sep 27, 11:12 pm, Дамјан ГеоргиевÑки <> wrote:
    > mod_wsgi (the apache module) can be configured to automatically run any
    > .wsgi file dropped in a folder just like CGI ... see here
    > http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/ConfigurationDirectives#WSGIScr...

    Thanks. I think this observation makes a liar of me :(.
    I'll have to reword the claim. I could split hairs to
    assert that this is "not the same" thing, but it's close
    enough....

    -- Aaron Watters

    ===
    Speak roughly to your little boy