is this whiff/wsgi claim true?

Aaron Watters

Hi folks. I just modified the WHIFF concepts index page

http://aaron.oirt.rutgers.edu/myapp/docs/W1000.concepts

To include the following paragraph with a startling and arrogant
claim in the final sentence :)

"""
Developers build WHIFF applications much like they build
static web content, PHP applications, JSP pages, or ASP
pages among others -- the developer "drops" files into a
directory, and the files are automatically used to respond
to URLs related to the filename.
**This intuitive and ubiquitous approach to organizing
web components is not automatically supported by other
WSGI infrastructures.**
"""

[I go on to illustrate the concept with examples...]

Is the final sentence true? Are there other WSGI approach
which make deploying a dynamic page as easy as putting
an HTML file in a static directory? If I'm lying I'd like to
correct the statement and my knowledge of what else is out
there is faulty and incomplete, so please correct me.

Thanks, -- Aaron Watters

===

less is more

Michele Simionato

[...]

To me, it looks like the approach Quixote used long before the coming
of WSGI
(see http://www.quixote.ca/learn/1 "How Quixote Works").

M.S.

Aaron Watters

regarding http://aaron.oirt.rutgers.edu/myapp/docs/W1000.concepts

Michele said:
To me, it looks like the approach Quixote used long before the coming
of WSGI
(see http://www.quixote.ca/learn/1 "How Quixote Works").

This a fair comparison and you could
also note similarities with
to modpy/publisher and even CGI but
none of these are WSGI components
or infrastructures whereas WHIFF is both a WSGI
component and an infrastructure. So this is
not the counterexample I was looking for.
-- Aaron Watters

===
- She turned me into a newt!
- A newt?
- ...I got better.

exarkun

Hi folks. I just modified the WHIFF concepts index page

http://aaron.oirt.rutgers.edu/myapp/docs/W1000.concepts

To include the following paragraph with a startling and arrogant
claim in the final sentence :)

"""
Developers build WHIFF applications much like they build
static web content, PHP applications, JSP pages, or ASP
pages among others -- the developer "drops" files into a
directory, and the files are automatically used to respond
to URLs related to the filename.
**This intuitive and ubiquitous approach to organizing
web components is not automatically supported by other
WSGI infrastructures.**
"""

This sounds like Twisted Web's RPY files:

http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/web/documentation/howto/using-
twistedweb.html#auto5

Although you may be talking about something that is more closely tied to
WSGI than this feature is in Twisted Web.

Jean-Paul

Дамјан ГеоргиевÑки

Aaron Watters

regarding
http://aaron.oirt.rutgers.edu/myapp/docs/W1000.concepts

mod_wsgi (the apache module) can be configured to automatically run any
.wsgi file dropped in a folder just like CGI ... see here
http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/ConfigurationDirectives#WSGIScr...

Thanks. I think this observation makes a liar of me :(.
I'll have to reword the claim. I could split hairs to
assert that this is "not the same" thing, but it's close
enough....

-- Aaron Watters

===
Speak roughly to your little boy