Is Visual C++ totally free?

Sanny

I am newbie in VC++

I visited http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/

Here it says I can download VC++. Is it completely free to download?

There are two downloads One in green other in yellow which one should
I download.

Will I be able to create Applications with the free version?

Will the program made with free version run on all Computers?

Windows 98/ XP/ Vista/ Mac OS Will all of them be able to run the
Program?

What is the size of download. Is the free version Stable and error
free?

How many days will it take for me to leanrn VC++? Is it a simple
language?

What is the Cost of Buying Visual C++. Is it totally free?

There is one Offline download. How much time it will take to download
Complete VC++?

Bye
Sanny

Rolf Magnus

Sanny said:
I am newbie in VC++

I visited http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/

Here it says I can download VC++. Is it completely free to download?

There is a free version that is limited. But AFAIK, the compiler is the same
as in the commercial version.
There are two downloads One in green other in yellow which one should
I download.

Will I be able to create Applications with the free version?
Yes.

Will the program made with free version run on all Computers?

By far not.
Windows 98/ XP/ Vista/ Mac OS Will all of them be able to run the
Program?
No.

What is the size of download. Is the free version Stable and error
free?

I'd expect it to be about as stable and error free as the commercial one.
Or do you think that someone deliberately added bugs to the free version?
How many days will it take for me to leanrn VC++?

Depends on your previous knowledge and how fast a learner you are.
Is it a simple language?
No.

What is the Cost of Buying Visual C++. Is it totally free?

This is not a shop. Ask someone who sells software.
There is one Offline download.

How's an "offline download" supposed to work?
How much time it will take to download Complete VC++?

That depends on your intenet connection, I guess.

osmium

Sanny said:
How many days will it take for me to leanrn VC++? Is it a simple
language?

Think in terms of hundreds of days, not tens of days. Note that VC++ is a
_product_, not a language. The C++ language is hugely complex and is the
result of many minds, resulting in a lot of inconsistency. Think of welding
English onto Esperanto. You can also use baling wire, rope, bolts, brazing,
soldering or vines you find laying around to attach the two languages.

PvdG42

Sanny said:
[...]

The Express edition is totally free. How long it will take you to download
depends on factors not in evidence, like the speed of your internet
connection.
If the express edition will allow you to create an empty C++ console
project, *and* you write only ISO standard C++ code, then that code should
be capable of being recompiled (possibly as is, possibly with minor
modification) on any platform where there is a C++ compiler available. I
don't use the Express edition, so I cannot be sure that project type will be
there.
As you've been told, C++ is very complex and feature-rich. The learning
curve is steep, but worth the effort, IMHO.

Tommy

Sanny said:
How many days will it take for me to leanrn VC++? Is it a simple
language?

If you have to ask, then you will be frustrated. It will not be
measured in days, but many months and years. Programming is a LIFE
thing, you either like it or you don't and be ready to long nights.
But if you enjoy programming, it should come easy to you.

You might consider starting with C first. The two go together, then
C++ will follow. But it all depends on your mentally.

Sherm Pendley

Rolf Magnus said:
How's an "offline download" supposed to work?

It's poorly named, but it's actually pretty useful. The "online"
installer is quite small, but needs to connect to the internet and
download the components you want. It's nice if you want to install it
on a single PC with an always-on net connection.

The "offline" installer is entirely self-contained. It's huge, but once
you download it you have no further need for a net connection. It's
useful if you want to install on a PC that's not connected, or if you
have a bunch of PCs you can download it once and put it on a file server
or CD.

sherm--

Erik Wikström

I am newbie in VC++

I visited http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/

Here it says I can download VC++. Is it completely free to download?

Yes, but there might be some limitations such that you might not be
allowed to download it if your are a terrorist.
There are two downloads One in green other in yellow which one should
I download.

The yellow. The green is Visual C#, which is something else.
Will I be able to create Applications with the free version?
Yes.

Will the program made with free version run on all Computers?

Windows 98/ XP/ Vista/ Mac OS Will all of them be able to run the
Program?

No, only on computers running Windows (might not work on Windows 98 or
earlier). Of course, if you keep your code portable (by not using any
platform specific stuff) you can always recompile your code on whatever
other platforms you want to run it on.
What is the size of download. Is the free version Stable and error
free?

About as stable and error free as you might expect of software of this
size and complexity.
How many days will it take for me to leanrn VC++? Is it a simple
language?

Very long, but with a good book your should be up and writing small
applications in a matter of days (depending on how much time and effort
you put into it).
What is the Cost of Buying Visual C++. Is it totally free?

There are several versions of Visual C++ (or rather Visual Studio), the
Express edition that you are looking at downloading is totally free, the
other versions costs a lot of money and you should not consider buying
any of them at the moment.

Timothy Madden

Sanny said:
I am newbie in VC++

I visited http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/

Here it says I can download VC++. Is it completely free to download?

There are two downloads One in green other in yellow which one should
I download.

Will I be able to create Applications with the free version?

Will the program made with free version run on all Computers?

Windows 98/ XP/ Vista/ Mac OS Will all of them be able to run the
Program?

What is the size of download. Is the free version Stable and error
free?

How many days will it take for me to leanrn VC++? Is it a simple
language?

What is the Cost of Buying Visual C++. Is it totally free?

There is one Offline download. How much time it will take to download
Complete VC++?

Hy Sanny,

This newsgroup discusses C++ as a language, not Visual C++, which
is a product. Visual C++ is only an implementation, but there
are many, many others. Here we are discussing about the standard
(it is called ISO 14882). For more details about VC++ I am sure
you can find a VC++ newsgroup provided by Microsoft.

That said, C++ is for sure not an easy language to learn, but if
you manage to learn it properly (I mean C++, not VC++) your
programs should be able to compile and run on a variety of
computers. But if fast learning is what you want, you would
better choose another language.

Programmes that you have compiled only run on the platform that
they were compiled to run on. Think of a platform as a combination
of CPU and operating system. In your case for example the platform
would be Intel 386 on Windows or i386-win for short (even if you
have a better processor in your computer). If you want your
program to run on any computer you should compile it on every
computer, or at a minimum you must compile it on every platform.
Using the source code directly to distribute your program, instead of
the already compiled program is the way to achieve this portability.

If you want a totally free compiler, I am sure you can find a good
quality one if you search the internet careful enough.

Hope that helps,
Timothy Madden

Sherm Pendley

Timothy Madden said:
This newsgroup discusses C++ as a language, not Visual C++, which
is a product.

True enough about comp.lang.c++, but his message was also cross-posted
to the microsoft.public.vc.language group.
For more details about VC++ I am sure
you can find a VC++ newsgroup provided by Microsoft.

He did. :)

sherm--

Sanny

What is the Cost of Buying Visual C++. Is it totally free?
There are several versions of Visual C++ (or rather Visual Studio), the
Express edition that you are looking at downloading is totally free, the
other versions costs a lot of money and you should not consider buying
any of them at the moment.

Is this free version limited or a 30 days Trial Version?

Bye
Sanny

Sanny

If you have to ask, then you will be frustrated.  It will not be
measured in days, but many months and years. Programming is a LIFE
thing, you either like it or you don't and be ready to long nights.
But if you enjoy programming, it should come easy to you.

You might consider starting with C first. The two go together, then
C++ will follow.  But it all depends on your mentally.

Where can I find a good C++ Compiler. Is there any C++ developing
Environment where I can create Applications with Forms & Dialog Boxes?

Bye
Sanny

Erik Wikström

Where can I find a good C++ Compiler. Is there any C++ developing
Environment where I can create Applications with Forms & Dialog Boxes?

Visual C++ Express 2008 is a good C++ compiler, and with it you can
create GUI applications if you like. Either by using the Windows API or
by using some third part GUI framework like Qt, wxWidgets, Gtkmm, etc.
Or you could use Visual C++ Express 2008 to write C++/CLI applications
and use Windows Forms or WPF, but if that's your goal I would recommend
that you learn C# instead.

James Kanze

Visual C++ Express 2008 is a good C++ compiler, and with it
you can create GUI applications if you like. Either by using
the Windows API or by using some third part GUI framework like
Qt, wxWidgets, Gtkmm, etc. Or you could use Visual C++
Express 2008 to write C++/CLI applications and use Windows
Forms or WPF, but if that's your goal I would recommend that
you learn C# instead.

Since you're the second one who's said it: why C# and not Java?
Java is certainly more portable, Swing isn't bad as GUI
libraries go, and Sun has a lot of good tutorials. (The quality
and the availability of on-line tutorials is one area where Java
has C++ beat.)

Erik Wikström

Since you're the second one who's said it: why C# and not Java?
Java is certainly more portable, Swing isn't bad as GUI
libraries go, and Sun has a lot of good tutorials. (The quality
and the availability of on-line tutorials is one area where Java
has C++ beat.)

Probably because I prefer C# over Java as a language, and the fact that
the Visual C# IDE is one of the best IDEs I've used, and I consider the
tools for quitckly building GUI applications using Windows Forms (I have
never tried to make WPF applications) second to none.

Of course when choosing C# over Java you lose portability (I'm not sure
what the status of Mono) but for people like the OP I doubt that it will
matter much.

red floyd

Sanny said:
Is this free version limited or a 30 days Trial Version?

Have you even thought of going to Microsoft's website and looking for
yourself? Why should we help you when you obviously aren't even trying
to find this out yourself?

Not to mention that it's totally off-topic for comp.lang.c++.

F/U to microsoft.public.vc.language only.

Jorgen Grahn

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.lang.c++.]
Think in terms of hundreds of days, not tens of days.

Yes, kind of. Bjarne says it better (for standard C++):
http://www.research.att.com/~bs/bs_faq.html#How-long
Note that VC++ is a
_product_, not a language. The C++ language is hugely complex and is the
result of many minds, resulting in a lot of inconsistency. Think of welding
English onto Esperanto. You can also use baling wire, rope, bolts, brazing,
soldering or vines you find laying around to attach the two languages.

That's one opinion, but most C++ programmers will disagree with you.

/Jorgen

Rolf Magnus

Erik Wikström wrote:

Probably because I prefer C# over Java as a language, and the fact that
the Visual C# IDE is one of the best IDEs I've used, and I consider the
tools for quitckly building GUI applications using Windows Forms (I have
never tried to make WPF applications) second to none.

Of course when choosing C# over Java you lose portability (I'm not sure
what the status of Mono) but for people like the OP I doubt that it will
matter much.

Well, he did ask if his programs will run on a Mac.

David Connet

=?UTF-8?B?RXJpayBXaWtzdHLDtm0=?= said:
No, only on computers running Windows (might not work on Windows 98 or
earlier). Of course, if you keep your code portable (by not using any
platform specific stuff) you can always recompile your code on whatever
other platforms you want to run it on.

Actually, VS2008 cannot be used to create programs for Win98/Me. The last
compiler that can be used for w98 is VS2005.

Dave Connet