Is Visual C++ totally free?

Discussion in 'C++' started by Sanny, Nov 21, 2008.

  1. Sanny

    Sanny Guest

    I am newbie in VC++

    I visited http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/

    Here it says I can download VC++. Is it completely free to download?

    There are two downloads One in green other in yellow which one should
    I download.

    Will I be able to create Applications with the free version?

    Will the program made with free version run on all Computers?

    Windows 98/ XP/ Vista/ Mac OS Will all of them be able to run the
    Program?

    What is the size of download. Is the free version Stable and error
    free?

    How many days will it take for me to leanrn VC++? Is it a simple
    language?

    What is the Cost of Buying Visual C++. Is it totally free?

    There is one Offline download. How much time it will take to download
    Complete VC++?

    Bye
    Sanny

    Sanny, Nov 21, 2008

  2. Sanny

    Rolf Magnus Guest

    Sanny wrote:

    > I am newbie in VC++
    >
    > I visited http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/
    >
    > Here it says I can download VC++. Is it completely free to download?

    There is a free version that is limited. But AFAIK, the compiler is the same
    as in the commercial version.

    > There are two downloads One in green other in yellow which one should
    > I download.
    >
    > Will I be able to create Applications with the free version?

    Yes.

    > Will the program made with free version run on all Computers?

    By far not.

    > Windows 98/ XP/ Vista/ Mac OS Will all of them be able to run the
    > Program?

    No.

    > What is the size of download. Is the free version Stable and error
    > free?

    I'd expect it to be about as stable and error free as the commercial one.
    Or do you think that someone deliberately added bugs to the free version?

    > How many days will it take for me to leanrn VC++?

    Depends on your previous knowledge and how fast a learner you are.

    > Is it a simple language?

    No.

    > What is the Cost of Buying Visual C++. Is it totally free?

    This is not a shop. Ask someone who sells software.

    > There is one Offline download.

    How's an "offline download" supposed to work?

    > How much time it will take to download Complete VC++?

    That depends on your intenet connection, I guess.

    Rolf Magnus, Nov 21, 2008

  3. Sanny

    osmium Guest

    "Sanny" wrote:

    > How many days will it take for me to leanrn VC++? Is it a simple
    > language?

    Think in terms of hundreds of days, not tens of days. Note that VC++ is a
    _product_, not a language. The C++ language is hugely complex and is the
    result of many minds, resulting in a lot of inconsistency. Think of welding
    English onto Esperanto. You can also use baling wire, rope, bolts, brazing,
    soldering or vines you find laying around to attach the two languages.

    osmium, Nov 21, 2008
  4. Sanny

    PvdG42 Guest

    "Sanny" <> wrote in message
    >I am newbie in VC++
    >
    > I visited http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/
    >
    > Here it says I can download VC++. Is it completely free to download?
    >
    > There are two downloads One in green other in yellow which one should
    > I download.
    >
    > Will I be able to create Applications with the free version?
    >
    > Will the program made with free version run on all Computers?
    >
    > Windows 98/ XP/ Vista/ Mac OS Will all of them be able to run the
    > Program?
    >
    > What is the size of download. Is the free version Stable and error
    > free?
    >
    > How many days will it take for me to leanrn VC++? Is it a simple
    > language?
    >
    > What is the Cost of Buying Visual C++. Is it totally free?
    >
    > There is one Offline download. How much time it will take to download
    > Complete VC++?
    >
    > Bye
    > Sanny

    The Express edition is totally free. How long it will take you to download
    depends on factors not in evidence, like the speed of your internet
    connection.
    If the express edition will allow you to create an empty C++ console
    project, *and* you write only ISO standard C++ code, then that code should
    be capable of being recompiled (possibly as is, possibly with minor
    modification) on any platform where there is a C++ compiler available. I
    don't use the Express edition, so I cannot be sure that project type will be
    there.
    As you've been told, C++ is very complex and feature-rich. The learning
    curve is steep, but worth the effort, IMHO.

    PvdG42, Nov 21, 2008
  5. "osmium" wrote:
    >> How many days will it take for me to leanrn VC++? Is it a
    >> simple language?

    > Think in terms of hundreds of days, not tens of days.

    http://norvig.com/21-days.html

    :)

    Alex

    Alex Blekhman, Nov 21, 2008
  6. Sanny

    Tommy Guest

    Sanny wrote:

    > How many days will it take for me to leanrn VC++? Is it a simple
    > language?

    If you have to ask, then you will be frustrated. It will not be
    measured in days, but many months and years. Programming is a LIFE
    thing, you either like it or you don't and be ready to long nights.
    But if you enjoy programming, it should come easy to you.

    You might consider starting with C first. The two go together, then
    C++ will follow. But it all depends on your mentally.

    Tommy, Nov 21, 2008
  7. Rolf Magnus <> writes:

    > Sanny wrote:
    >
    >> There is one Offline download.

    > How's an "offline download" supposed to work?

    It's poorly named, but it's actually pretty useful. The "online"
    installer is quite small, but needs to connect to the internet and
    download the components you want. It's nice if you want to install it
    on a single PC with an always-on net connection.

    The "offline" installer is entirely self-contained. It's huge, but once
    you download it you have no further need for a net connection. It's
    useful if you want to install on a PC that's not connected, or if you
    have a bunch of PCs you can download it once and put it on a file server
    or CD.

    sherm--

    --
    My blog: http://shermspace.blogspot.com

    Sherm Pendley, Nov 21, 2008
  8. On 2008-11-21 11:53, Sanny wrote:
    > I am newbie in VC++
    >
    > I visited http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/
    >
    > Here it says I can download VC++. Is it completely free to download?

    Yes, but there might be some limitations such that you might not be
    allowed to download it if your are a terrorist.

    > There are two downloads One in green other in yellow which one should
    > I download.

    The yellow. The green is Visual C#, which is something else.

    > Will I be able to create Applications with the free version?

    Yes.

    > Will the program made with free version run on all Computers?
    >
    > Windows 98/ XP/ Vista/ Mac OS Will all of them be able to run the
    > Program?

    No, only on computers running Windows (might not work on Windows 98 or
    earlier). Of course, if you keep your code portable (by not using any
    platform specific stuff) you can always recompile your code on whatever
    other platforms you want to run it on.

    > What is the size of download. Is the free version Stable and error
    > free?

    About as stable and error free as you might expect of software of this
    size and complexity.

    > How many days will it take for me to leanrn VC++? Is it a simple
    > language?

    Very long, but with a good book your should be up and writing small
    applications in a matter of days (depending on how much time and effort
    you put into it).

    > What is the Cost of Buying Visual C++. Is it totally free?

    There are several versions of Visual C++ (or rather Visual Studio), the
    Express edition that you are looking at downloading is totally free, the
    other versions costs a lot of money and you should not consider buying
    any of them at the moment.

    --
    Erik Wikström

    Erik Wikström, Nov 21, 2008
  9. Sanny wrote:
    > I am newbie in VC++
    >
    > I visited http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/
    >
    > Here it says I can download VC++. Is it completely free to download?
    >
    > There are two downloads One in green other in yellow which one should
    > I download.
    >
    > Will I be able to create Applications with the free version?
    >
    > Will the program made with free version run on all Computers?
    >
    > Windows 98/ XP/ Vista/ Mac OS Will all of them be able to run the
    > Program?
    >
    > What is the size of download. Is the free version Stable and error
    > free?
    >
    > How many days will it take for me to leanrn VC++? Is it a simple
    > language?
    >
    > What is the Cost of Buying Visual C++. Is it totally free?
    >
    > There is one Offline download. How much time it will take to download
    > Complete VC++?

    Hy Sanny,

    This newsgroup discusses C++ as a language, not Visual C++, which
    is a product. Visual C++ is only an implementation, but there
    are many, many others. Here we are discussing about the standard
    (it is called ISO 14882). For more details about VC++ I am sure
    you can find a VC++ newsgroup provided by Microsoft.

    That said, C++ is for sure not an easy language to learn, but if
    you manage to learn it properly (I mean C++, not VC++) your
    programs should be able to compile and run on a variety of
    computers. But if fast learning is what you want, you would
    better choose another language.

    Programmes that you have compiled only run on the platform that
    they were compiled to run on. Think of a platform as a combination
    of CPU and operating system. In your case for example the platform
    would be Intel 386 on Windows or i386-win for short (even if you
    have a better processor in your computer). If you want your
    program to run on any computer you should compile it on every
    computer, or at a minimum you must compile it on every platform.
    Using the source code directly to distribute your program, instead of
    the already compiled program is the way to achieve this portability.

    If you want a totally free compiler, I am sure you can find a good
    quality one if you search the internet careful enough.

    Hope that helps,
    Timothy Madden

    Timothy Madden, Nov 21, 2008
  10. Timothy Madden <> writes:

    > This newsgroup discusses C++ as a language, not Visual C++, which
    > is a product.

    True enough about comp.lang.c++, but his message was also cross-posted
    to the microsoft.public.vc.language group.

    > For more details about VC++ I am sure
    > you can find a VC++ newsgroup provided by Microsoft.

    He did. :)

    sherm--

    --
    My blog: http://shermspace.blogspot.com

    Sherm Pendley, Nov 21, 2008
  11. Sanny

    Sanny Guest

    > > What is the Cost of Buying Visual C++. Is it totally free?
    >
    > There are several versions of Visual C++ (or rather Visual Studio), the
    > Express edition that you are looking at downloading is totally free, the
    > other versions costs a lot of money and you should not consider buying
    > any of them at the moment.

    Is this free version limited or a 30 days Trial Version?

    Bye
    Sanny

    Sanny, Nov 22, 2008
  12. Sanny

    Sanny Guest

    > If you have to ask, then you will be frustrated.  It will not be
    > measured in days, but many months and years. Programming is a LIFE
    > thing, you either like it or you don't and be ready to long nights.
    > But if you enjoy programming, it should come easy to you.
    >
    > You might consider starting with C first. The two go together, then
    > C++ will follow.  But it all depends on your mentally.

    Where can I find a good C++ Compiler. Is there any C++ developing
    Environment where I can create Applications with Forms & Dialog Boxes?

    Bye
    Sanny

    Sanny, Nov 22, 2008
  13. On 2008-11-22 06:53, Sanny wrote:
    >> If you have to ask, then you will be frustrated. It will not be
    >> measured in days, but many months and years. Programming is a LIFE
    >> thing, you either like it or you don't and be ready to long nights.
    >> But if you enjoy programming, it should come easy to you.
    >>
    >> You might consider starting with C first. The two go together, then
    >> C++ will follow. But it all depends on your mentally.

    > Where can I find a good C++ Compiler. Is there any C++ developing
    > Environment where I can create Applications with Forms & Dialog Boxes?

    Visual C++ Express 2008 is a good C++ compiler, and with it you can
    create GUI applications if you like. Either by using the Windows API or
    by using some third part GUI framework like Qt, wxWidgets, Gtkmm, etc.
    Or you could use Visual C++ Express 2008 to write C++/CLI applications
    and use Windows Forms or WPF, but if that's your goal I would recommend
    that you learn C# instead.

    --
    Erik Wikström

    Erik Wikström, Nov 22, 2008
  14. Sanny

    James Kanze Guest

    On Nov 22, 9:52 am, Erik Wikström <> wrote:

    > Visual C++ Express 2008 is a good C++ compiler, and with it
    > you can create GUI applications if you like. Either by using
    > the Windows API or by using some third part GUI framework like
    > Qt, wxWidgets, Gtkmm, etc. Or you could use Visual C++
    > Express 2008 to write C++/CLI applications and use Windows
    > Forms or WPF, but if that's your goal I would recommend that
    > you learn C# instead.

    Since you're the second one who's said it: why C# and not Java?
    Java is certainly more portable, Swing isn't bad as GUI
    libraries go, and Sun has a lot of good tutorials. (The quality
    and the availability of on-line tutorials is one area where Java
    has C++ beat.)

    --
    James Kanze (GABI Software) email:

    James Kanze, Nov 22, 2008
  15. On 2008-11-22 12:05, James Kanze wrote:
    > On Nov 22, 9:52 am, Erik Wikström <> wrote:
    >

    >> Visual C++ Express 2008 is a good C++ compiler, and with it
    >> you can create GUI applications if you like. Either by using
    >> the Windows API or by using some third part GUI framework like
    >> Qt, wxWidgets, Gtkmm, etc. Or you could use Visual C++
    >> Express 2008 to write C++/CLI applications and use Windows
    >> Forms or WPF, but if that's your goal I would recommend that
    >> you learn C# instead.

    > Since you're the second one who's said it: why C# and not Java?
    > Java is certainly more portable, Swing isn't bad as GUI
    > libraries go, and Sun has a lot of good tutorials. (The quality
    > and the availability of on-line tutorials is one area where Java
    > has C++ beat.)

    Probably because I prefer C# over Java as a language, and the fact that
    the Visual C# IDE is one of the best IDEs I've used, and I consider the
    tools for quitckly building GUI applications using Windows Forms (I have
    never tried to make WPF applications) second to none.

    Of course when choosing C# over Java you lose portability (I'm not sure
    what the status of Mono) but for people like the OP I doubt that it will
    matter much.

    --
    Erik Wikström

    Erik Wikström, Nov 22, 2008
  16. Sanny

    red floyd Guest

    Sanny wrote:
    >>> What is the Cost of Buying Visual C++. Is it totally free?

    >> There are several versions of Visual C++ (or rather Visual Studio), the
    >> Express edition that you are looking at downloading is totally free, the
    >> other versions costs a lot of money and you should not consider buying
    >> any of them at the moment.

    > Is this free version limited or a 30 days Trial Version?

    Have you even thought of going to Microsoft's website and looking for
    yourself? Why should we help you when you obviously aren't even trying
    to find this out yourself?

    Not to mention that it's totally off-topic for comp.lang.c++.

    F/U to microsoft.public.vc.language only.

    red floyd, Nov 22, 2008
  17. Sanny

    PvdG42 Guest

    "Sanny" <> wrote in message
    >> > What is the Cost of Buying Visual C++. Is it totally free?

    >> There are several versions of Visual C++ (or rather Visual Studio), the
    >> Express edition that you are looking at downloading is totally free, the
    >> other versions costs a lot of money and you should not consider buying
    >> any of them at the moment.

    > Is this free version limited or a 30 days Trial Version?
    >
    > Bye
    > Sanny

    No, Sanny, the Express Edition IS NOT time limited in any way. Why not
    simply go to the Microsoft web site and do a bit of checking?

    http://www.microsoft.com/express/vc/

    PvdG42, Nov 22, 2008
  18. Sanny

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.lang.c++.]
    On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 07:06:25 -0600, osmium <> wrote:
    > "Sanny" wrote:
    >
    >> How many days will it take for me to leanrn VC++? Is it a simple
    >> language?

    > Think in terms of hundreds of days, not tens of days.

    Yes, kind of. Bjarne says it better (for standard C++):
    http://www.research.att.com/~bs/bs_faq.html#How-long

    > Note that VC++ is a
    > _product_, not a language. The C++ language is hugely complex and is the
    > result of many minds, resulting in a lot of inconsistency. Think of welding
    > English onto Esperanto. You can also use baling wire, rope, bolts, brazing,
    > soldering or vines you find laying around to attach the two languages.

    That's one opinion, but most C++ programmers will disagree with you.

    /Jorgen

    Jorgen Grahn, Nov 22, 2008
  19. Sanny

    Rolf Magnus Guest

    Erik Wikström wrote:

    >> Since you're the second one who's said it: why C# and not Java?
    >> Java is certainly more portable, Swing isn't bad as GUI
    >> libraries go, and Sun has a lot of good tutorials. (The quality
    >> and the availability of on-line tutorials is one area where Java
    >> has C++ beat.)

    > Probably because I prefer C# over Java as a language, and the fact that
    > the Visual C# IDE is one of the best IDEs I've used, and I consider the
    > tools for quitckly building GUI applications using Windows Forms (I have
    > never tried to make WPF applications) second to none.
    >
    > Of course when choosing C# over Java you lose portability (I'm not sure
    > what the status of Mono) but for people like the OP I doubt that it will
    > matter much.

    Well, he did ask if his programs will run on a Mac.

    Rolf Magnus, Nov 22, 2008
  20. Sanny

    David Connet Guest

    =?UTF-8?B?RXJpayBXaWtzdHLDtm0=?= <> wrote in
    >> Will the program made with free version run on all Computers?
    >>
    >> Windows 98/ XP/ Vista/ Mac OS Will all of them be able to run the
    >> Program?

    > No, only on computers running Windows (might not work on Windows 98 or
    > earlier). Of course, if you keep your code portable (by not using any
    > platform specific stuff) you can always recompile your code on whatever
    > other platforms you want to run it on.

    Actually, VS2008 cannot be used to create programs for Win98/Me. The last
    compiler that can be used for w98 is VS2005.

    Dave Connet

    David Connet, Nov 23, 2008