    be replaced or if I should use something else. Also, does anyone know
    the bad points or things to avoid when using webparts? Thank you for
    any help.

    jm, Jun 28, 2008

  2. jm

    bruce barker Guest

    webparts is a key technology for sharepoint. as such you should see
    better support for building them in the future.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Jun 28, 2008

  3. bruce barker wrote:
    > webparts is a key technology for sharepoint. as such you should see
    > better support for building them in the future.
    >
    > -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Furthermore (AFAIK) WebParts are key components for ASP.NET.

    Fernando Gómez, Jun 28, 2008
  4. While web parts have not taken off in the manner MS may have wanted, I doubt
    they are going away any time soon. First, they are used rather heavily in
    SharePoint, which is gaining steam in the corporate world. Second, they
    comprise a key part of the developer "selling" tours Microsoft has been
    offering. Finally, they are an easy way to allow a user to pick and choose
    his functionality.

    If Silverlight takes over the web completely (doubtful any time soon, if
    ever), web parts may be a thing of the past. But, you have plenty of time
    before that happens.

    There is currently no plans for any new technology to replace web parts.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Subscribe to my blog

    or just read it:
    http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com/

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Jun 28, 2008
  5. jm

    gerry Guest

    "better support ... in the future" - we have been hearing that line since
    the day they were introduced , this is the future - what happened ?
    web parts have not improved one bit from the 1st release despite all
    promises of things 'in the works'
    limited functionality , ie only support ( drag&drop / menus ) , old style -
    menus instead of window-type icons. 100% postback design with zero ajax
    integration.
    too bad too - webparts ( asp.net - no idea about sp ) had much potential
    but imo development ground to a halt after the proof of concept phase and
    here these years & versions later, they remain unchanged since day one.

    gerry, Jul 2, 2008
  6. jm

    jm Guest

    I was able to get Firefox 3 to use webparts with the futures
    download. It wasn't exactly the same as ie (the menu wasn't the
    same), but you could drag and drop just like ie.

    jm, Jul 2, 2008