Is WebParts soon to be replaced?

jm

Hi, before I build something in it, I wanted to know if it's about to
be replaced or if I should use something else. Also, does anyone know
the bad points or things to avoid when using webparts? Thank you for
any help.

bruce barker

webparts is a key technology for sharepoint. as such you should see
better support for building them in the future.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Fernando Gómez

bruce said:
webparts is a key technology for sharepoint. as such you should see
better support for building them in the future.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Furthermore (AFAIK) WebParts are key components for ASP.NET.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

While web parts have not taken off in the manner MS may have wanted, I doubt
they are going away any time soon. First, they are used rather heavily in
SharePoint, which is gaining steam in the corporate world. Second, they
comprise a key part of the developer "selling" tours Microsoft has been
offering. Finally, they are an easy way to allow a user to pick and choose
his functionality.

If Silverlight takes over the web completely (doubtful any time soon, if
ever), web parts may be a thing of the past. But, you have plenty of time
before that happens.

There is currently no plans for any new technology to replace web parts.

gerry

"better support ... in the future" - we have been hearing that line since
the day they were introduced , this is the future - what happened ?
web parts have not improved one bit from the 1st release despite all
promises of things 'in the works'
limited functionality , ie only support ( drag&drop / menus ) , old style -
menus instead of window-type icons. 100% postback design with zero ajax
integration.
too bad too - webparts ( asp.net - no idea about sp ) had much potential
but imo development ground to a halt after the proof of concept phase and
here these years & versions later, they remain unchanged since day one.

jm

I was able to get Firefox 3 to use webparts with the futures
download. It wasn't exactly the same as ie (the menu wasn't the
same), but you could drag and drop just like ie.