Is webservice.htc obsolete?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Rob Kraft, Apr 21, 2008.

  1. Rob Kraft

    Rob Kraft Guest

    I started developing a web service following samples that made use of
    webservice.htc. I have since found a way to call a web service with
    javascript from a web page that is MUCH easier than using webservice.htc. Is
    webservice.htc obsolete? Would webservice.htc have any advantage over this
    approach?

    namespace MyCompany.Services.Control
    {
    [WebService(Namespace = "http://www.MyCompany.com/Services/Control/")]
    [WebServiceBinding(ConformsTo = WsiProfiles.BasicProfile1_1)]
    [ToolboxItem(false)]
    [ScriptService]
    public class FrameItemService : System.Web.Services.WebService
    {
    [WebMethod(EnableSession=true)]
    public string HelloWorld()

    Rob Kraft, Apr 21, 2008

  2. "Rob Kraft" <> wrote in message
    > I started developing a web service following samples that made use of
    > webservice.htc. I have since found a way to call a web service with
    > javascript from a web page that is MUCH easier than using webservice.htc.
    > Is
    > webservice.htc obsolete? Would webservice.htc have any advantage over
    > this
    > approach?

    webservice.htc is very old. It's from the days before AJAX. It is as
    obsolete as the SOAP Toolkit.

    John Saunders | MVP – Windows Server System – Connected System Developer

    John Saunders, Apr 21, 2008