Is XSD (XML Schema Definition) supported by Netscape/Firefox, IE?

Discussion in 'XML' started by RC, Sep 27, 2005.

  1. RC

    RC Guest

    RC, Sep 27, 2005

  2. Re: Is XSD (XML Schema Definition) supported by Netscape/Firefox,IE?

    RC wrote:

    > I know DTD (Document Type Definition) is supported by
    > Netscape/Firefox and IE.

    What exactly do you think Netscape/Firefox support about DTDs? They use
    the expat parser and that is not a validating parser so unless you have
    an internal subset of a DTD the parser in Netscape/Firefox does not see
    the DTD at all.
    IE uses MSXML which can validate against a DTD but I think when IE loads
    an XML document directly into a browser window then it does not validate.

    > But I typed some examples from
    >
    > http://www.w3schools.com/schema/default.asp
    >
    > Seems no effect on those browsers.

    The XML parser in Netscape/Firefox is not a validating parser at all so
    I am not sure what effect you are looking for.
    MSXML 3 which comes with IE 6 is a validating parser that can validate
    against DTDs but to do that you need to apply script.
    MSXML 4 can do schema validation but it is not installed by IE so you
    need to download that separately and then you can use script inside of
    IE to do schema validation if needed.

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/