Is Your Web Site Accessible?

andy johnson

Reminds me of some wheel chair bound people in California who looked
for inaccessible public buildings for their lawyer benefactors to sue.
Mentioning you could be sued and register for free in the same breath
sounds fishy to me, regardless of the overall intent.

-
Andy

"There would be a lot more civility in this world if people
didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you"
- (Calvin and Hobbes) (this email addy is never checked...)

brucie

the tables are unneeded and add confusion. do you go down a cell to
read the next part or across? should you change your browser to one
that doesn't support tables or one that will linearize the tables?
will linearizing the tables make sense? are there tables that actually
have tabular data on the page and linearizing will screw them up. will
you have to change browsers again to read the tabular data?

maybe its just easier to hit the back button.

also fonts in very small pt, fixed size layout and invalid html/css.
Makes me wonder if the above site sets is a good example.

NO!

also the markup and especially the css shows IMO the author has some
minimal beginner knowledge but no where near the knowledge to offer
advice of any kind to others.

DU

Samuël van Laere said:
What do you people think of this website:
http://askalice.ssbtechnologies.com:8080/askalice/index.html

Makes me wonder if the above site sets is a good example.

--
With regards,
Samuël van Laere

One required field (in fact they are all) in the registration form asks:
"Do you have a budget for accessibility?: "
http://askalice.ssbtechnologies.com:8080/askalice/registration

Now, what's the point for such question if "AskAlice is a free web
service provided by SSB Technologies that allows people to evaluate the
accessibility of their web site." to begin with?

In what way such question has anything to do with the given goal of the
form:
"fill out the form below, as it will help me provide you with the most
useful assessment of your Web site possible"

If AskAlice is about "Following these standards enables a web site to be
accessed by people using assistive technology to access web sites,
including text-to-speech readers used by persons who are blind.", then
AskAlice has failed in every page I examined:
nested tables
tables for non-tabular data
no doctype declaration
no charset provided
target="_blank" not even identified for links
bad use of <abbr> and absence of usage of <abbr> when needed
invalid markup code
invalid CSS code

DU
--
Javascript and Browser bugs:

Toby A Inkster

Samuël van Laere said:
What do you people think of this website:
http://askalice.ssbtechnologies.com:8080/askalice/index.html
Makes me wonder if the above site sets is a good example.

It's mainly OK, but there are areas for improvement:

I would probably set the alt text for the logo to "" as there is a text
link below it.

The font size is fixed.

On the FAQs page, the structure is:
<h4>Free Accessibility Assessment of Your Web Site</h4>
<h1>Frequently Asked Questions About AskAliceâ„¢</h1>

and the questions aren't marked up as headings too.

The tables have no summary attribute.

Amongst other presentational markup, <b> is used.

EightNineThree

Toby A Inkster said:
It's mainly OK, but there are areas for improvement:

I would probably set the alt text for the logo to "" as there is a text
link below it.

The font size is fixed.

On the FAQs page, the structure is:
<h4>Free Accessibility Assessment of Your Web Site</h4>
<h1>Frequently Asked Questions About AskAliceT</h1>

and the questions aren't marked up as headings too.

The tables have no summary attribute.

Amongst other presentational markup, <b> is used.

<AOLer> I Agree! </AOLer>

I think the site makes the mistake that so many others make when discussing
accessibility: They assume that accessibility is about making sites useful
for the blind.
Blind persons are only a very small percentage of people who may encounter
problems with unaccessible sites.

--
Karl Core

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
cease to be insipid.
Friedrich Nietzsche

eightninethree AT eightninethree.com

Kris

EightNineThree said:
Blind persons are only a very small percentage of people who may encounter
problems with unaccessible sites.

<Safari-/Camino-user>Amen</Safari-/Camino-user>

May the holy light of webstandards engulf our all.