Is Your Web Site Accessible?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by andy johnson, Oct 1, 2003.

  1. andy johnson

    andy johnson Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 23:18:12 GMT, "Samuël van Laere"
    <> wrote:

    >What do you people think of this website:
    >http://askalice.ssbtechnologies.com:8080/askalice/index.html

    Reminds me of some wheel chair bound people in California who looked
    for inaccessible public buildings for their lawyer benefactors to sue.
    Mentioning you could be sued and register for free in the same breath
    sounds fishy to me, regardless of the overall intent.

    -
    Andy

    "There would be a lot more civility in this world if people
    didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you"
    - (Calvin and Hobbes) (this email addy is never checked...)

    andy johnson, Oct 1, 2003

  2. Samuël van Laere, Oct 1, 2003

  3. andy johnson

    brucie Guest

    In post <Uaoeb.2682$>
    Samuël van Laere said...

    > What do you people think of this website:
    > http://askalice.ssbtechnologies.com:8080/askalice/index.html

    the tables are unneeded and add confusion. do you go down a cell to
    read the next part or across? should you change your browser to one
    that doesn't support tables or one that will linearize the tables?
    will linearizing the tables make sense? are there tables that actually
    have tabular data on the page and linearizing will screw them up. will
    you have to change browsers again to read the tabular data?

    maybe its just easier to hit the back button.

    also fonts in very small pt, fixed size layout and invalid html/css.

    > Makes me wonder if the above site sets is a good example.

    NO!

    also the markup and especially the css shows IMO the author has some
    minimal beginner knowledge but no where near the knowledge to offer
    advice of any kind to others.

    --
    01/October/2003 09:24:47 am

    brucie, Oct 1, 2003
  4. andy johnson

    DU Guest

    Samuël van Laere wrote:

    > What do you people think of this website:
    > http://askalice.ssbtechnologies.com:8080/askalice/index.html
    >

    > Makes me wonder if the above site sets is a good example.
    >

    > --
    > With regards,
    > Samuël van Laere
    > the Netherlands
    > http://www.fortron.net

    One required field (in fact they are all) in the registration form asks:
    "Do you have a budget for accessibility?: "
    http://askalice.ssbtechnologies.com:8080/askalice/registration

    Now, what's the point for such question if "AskAlice is a free web
    service provided by SSB Technologies that allows people to evaluate the
    accessibility of their web site." to begin with?

    In what way such question has anything to do with the given goal of the
    form:
    "fill out the form below, as it will help me provide you with the most
    useful assessment of your Web site possible"

    If AskAlice is about "Following these standards enables a web site to be
    accessed by people using assistive technology to access web sites,
    including text-to-speech readers used by persons who are blind.", then
    AskAlice has failed in every page I examined:
    nested tables
    tables for non-tabular data
    no doctype declaration
    no charset provided
    target="_blank" not even identified for links
    bad use of <abbr> and absence of usage of <abbr> when needed
    invalid markup code
    invalid CSS code

    DU
    --
    Javascript and Browser bugs:

    DU, Oct 1, 2003
  5. Samuël van Laere wrote:

    > What do you people think of this website:
    > http://askalice.ssbtechnologies.com:8080/askalice/index.html
    > Makes me wonder if the above site sets is a good example.

    It's mainly OK, but there are areas for improvement:

    I would probably set the alt text for the logo to "" as there is a text
    link below it.

    The font size is fixed.

    On the FAQs page, the structure is:
    <h4>Free Accessibility Assessment of Your Web Site</h4>
    <h1>Frequently Asked Questions About AskAliceâ„¢</h1>

    and the questions aren't marked up as headings too.

    The tables have no summary attribute.

    Amongst other presentational markup, <b> is used.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Oct 1, 2003
  6. andy johnson

    Andy Dingley Guest

    <> wrote:

    >What do you people think of this website:

    Smells of ambulance chasing. Their own practice is far from
    impressive too.

    --
    Smert' spamionam

    Andy Dingley, Oct 1, 2003
  7. "Toby A Inkster" <> wrote in message
    > Samuël van Laere wrote:
    >
    > > What do you people think of this website:
    > > http://askalice.ssbtechnologies.com:8080/askalice/index.html
    > > Makes me wonder if the above site sets is a good example.

    > It's mainly OK, but there are areas for improvement:
    >
    > I would probably set the alt text for the logo to "" as there is a text
    > link below it.
    >
    > The font size is fixed.
    >
    > On the FAQs page, the structure is:
    > <h4>Free Accessibility Assessment of Your Web Site</h4>
    > <h1>Frequently Asked Questions About AskAliceT</h1>
    >
    > and the questions aren't marked up as headings too.
    >
    > The tables have no summary attribute.
    >
    > Amongst other presentational markup, <b> is used.

    <AOLer> I Agree! </AOLer>

    I think the site makes the mistake that so many others make when discussing
    accessibility: They assume that accessibility is about making sites useful
    for the blind.
    Blind persons are only a very small percentage of people who may encounter
    problems with unaccessible sites.

    --
    Karl Core

    At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
    cease to be insipid.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

    eightninethree AT eightninethree.com

    EightNineThree, Oct 1, 2003
  8. andy johnson

    Kris Guest

    In article <blebli$1fq$>,
    "EightNineThree" <> wrote:

    > Blind persons are only a very small percentage of people who may encounter
    > problems with unaccessible sites.

    <Safari-/Camino-user>Amen</Safari-/Camino-user>

    May the holy light of webstandards engulf our all.

    --
    Kris
    erlands (nl)

    Kris, Oct 1, 2003