IsMobileDevice returns false when connecting with WM 2003

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Mobile' started by Sacha Korell, Dec 21, 2004.

  1. Sacha Korell

    Sacha Korell Guest

    Request.Browser("IsMobileDevice") returns false when connecting with my iPAQ
    2215 (and other Windows Mobile 2003 devices), although
    HTTPBrowserCapabilities "Platform" returns "WinCE".

    What's going on? I'm using VS.NET2003 for development with DeviceUpdate4
    installed.

    I had a code snippet like:

    If Not (Page.IsPostBack) Then
    If (Device.IsMobileDevice) Then
    RedirectToMobilePage("mobile/m_default.aspx")
    Else
    Response.Redirect("default.aspx")
    End If
    End If

    It used to work just fine, but now "Device.IsMobileDevice" also returns
    false.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,

    Sacha
    Sacha Korell, Dec 21, 2004

  2. Sacha Korell

    Sean Feldman Guest

    Hi,
    why won't you assign some special value to TYPE field in web.config
    specification of your iPAQ and trest it this way:

    if (Device.Type == "the value you have assigned")
    RedirectToMobilePage("mobile.aspx");
    else
    Response.Redirect:)web.aspx");

    --
    With the best wishes,
    Sean Feldman

    Sean Feldman, Jan 6, 2005

  3. Sacha Korell

    Sacha Korell Guest

    Thanks for your reply, Sean

    Well, the problem is really that I want any mobile device to be redirected
    whether it's an iPAQ or a Smartphone device, but apparently devices running
    Windows Mobile 2003 do not get recognized by Device.IsMobileDevice. I was
    very enthusiastic when Microsoft started the whole "DeviceUpdate" thing, but
    they must have quit that over a year ago. Now they refer to a vendor
    (cyScape) in the machine.config that charges over $300 for new device
    updates.

    Here's how I have solved the problem (for now):

    If (Request.Browser("IsMobileDevice") = "true") Then
    RedirectToMobilePage("mobile/m_default.aspx")
    Else
    Dim bc As HttpBrowserCapabilities = Request.Browser

    '* Will be changed to 'Select Case' later
    If bc.Platform = "WinCE" Then

    Sacha Korell, Jan 6, 2005
  4. Sacha Korell

    Sean Feldman Guest

    Hi,
    well, frankly speaking, I can't figure out what's going on with Mobile
    ASP.Net. On one hand it's a great piece of work, on other hand it's kind of
    stacked. For instance, the Xhtml adapters source I've being chasing after
    aren't on the MSDN or any other place. Aslo the mobile part of asp.net site
    is quiet as dead place. Have a clue what are Microsoft's plans?

    Sean Feldman, Jan 7, 2005