Isn't Anyone Migrating from JAX-RPC to JAX-WS?

Karl Uppiano

Sun is recommending that web services that are based on JAX-RPC in the Java
Web Services Development Pack (JWSDP) be migrated to the new JAX-WS web
services API currently under development in the GlassFish project. JAX-RPC
will be deprecated. I posted the following query on this group and received
zero responses:
I am having difficulty migrating a JAX-RPC application to JAX-WS.

The JAX-RPC web service uses custom parameters and return data carrier
classes. The data carrier classes look something like this:

public class WsProperty {
public String key;
public String value;
}

The JAX-RPC web methods look something like this:

public WsProperty[] getProperties() throws RemoteException;

public void setProperties(WsProperty[] properties) throws
RemoteException;

The resulting WSDL contains descriptors for the params and return types
along with the method itself.

My JAX-WS web methods look something like this:

@WebMethod()
@WebResult(name = "WsPropertyArray")
public WsProperty[] getProperties() throws RemoteException {

@WebMethod()
public void setProperties(@WebParam(name = "WsPropertyArray")
WsProperty[] properties) throws RemoteException {

The problem is, I do not see any description of the custom data type in the
WSDL. Although the NetBeans tools seem to generate generic objects with
similar names, they do not implement anything beyond the base Object
methods. I could use reflection to get the data, but that seems wrong. Any
suggestions?

Steve W. Jackson

"Karl Uppiano said:
Okay... evidently... not...

That, in itself, is... interesting... I guess...

Well, in fairness, you posted the previous message on a Sunday when most
US folks aren't working, then waited fewer than 12 hours before
concluding that nobody is doing this....

You would be better off if you looked in on the JAX-WS project page at
<http://java-ws-xml.dev.java.net/>. Or look for other projects at
<http://www.dev.java.net> (which redirects). JAX-WS, JAX-RPC and others
there have mailing lists that are not too high-volume and include
participation by Sun staff involved in the development.

Karl Uppiano

Steve W. Jackson said:
Well, in fairness, you posted the previous message on a Sunday when most
US folks aren't working, then waited fewer than 12 hours before
concluding that nobody is doing this....

I agree, I did not leave a long time to germinate, however, this is a busy
group, and even on a slow day, many posts see responses within a couple of
hours.
You would be better off if you looked in on the JAX-WS project page at
<http://java-ws-xml.dev.java.net/>. Or look for other projects at
<http://www.dev.java.net> (which redirects). JAX-WS, JAX-RPC and others
there have mailing lists that are not too high-volume and include
participation by Sun staff involved in the development.

Those are good suggestions -- which I will follow up, but I would still be
interested in hearing from anyone in this group having experience in this
area.