Isn't Anyone Migrating from JAX-RPC to JAX-WS?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Karl Uppiano, Dec 17, 2006.

  1. Karl Uppiano

    Karl Uppiano Guest

    Sun is recommending that web services that are based on JAX-RPC in the Java
    Web Services Development Pack (JWSDP) be migrated to the new JAX-WS web
    services API currently under development in the GlassFish project. JAX-RPC
    will be deprecated. I posted the following query on this group and received
    zero responses:
    I am having difficulty migrating a JAX-RPC application to JAX-WS.

    The JAX-RPC web service uses custom parameters and return data carrier
    classes. The data carrier classes look something like this:

    public class WsProperty {
    public String key;
    public String value;
    }

    The JAX-RPC web methods look something like this:

    public WsProperty[] getProperties() throws RemoteException;

    public void setProperties(WsProperty[] properties) throws
    RemoteException;

    The resulting WSDL contains descriptors for the params and return types
    along with the method itself.

    My JAX-WS web methods look something like this:

    @WebMethod()
    @WebResult(name = "WsPropertyArray")
    public WsProperty[] getProperties() throws RemoteException {

    @WebMethod()
    public void setProperties(@WebParam(name = "WsPropertyArray")
    WsProperty[] properties) throws RemoteException {

    The problem is, I do not see any description of the custom data type in the
    WSDL. Although the NetBeans tools seem to generate generic objects with
    similar names, they do not implement anything beyond the base Object
    methods. I could use reflection to get the data, but that seems wrong. Any
    suggestions?
    I am probably missing something obvious.
    Karl Uppiano, Dec 17, 2006

  2. Karl Uppiano

    Karl Uppiano Guest

    Okay... evidently... not...

    That, in itself, is... interesting... I guess...
    Karl Uppiano, Dec 18, 2006

  3. In article <t2qhh.9101$cx4.3049@trndny09>,
    "Karl Uppiano" <> wrote:

    > Okay... evidently... not...
    >
    > That, in itself, is... interesting... I guess...

    Well, in fairness, you posted the previous message on a Sunday when most
    US folks aren't working, then waited fewer than 12 hours before
    concluding that nobody is doing this....

    You would be better off if you looked in on the JAX-WS project page at
    <http://java-ws-xml.dev.java.net/>. Or look for other projects at
    <http://www.dev.java.net> (which redirects). JAX-WS, JAX-RPC and others
    there have mailing lists that are not too high-volume and include
    participation by Sun staff involved in the development.
    --
    Steve W. Jackson
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Steve W. Jackson, Dec 18, 2006
  4. Karl Uppiano

    Karl Uppiano Guest

    "Steve W. Jackson" <> wrote in message
    > In article <t2qhh.9101$cx4.3049@trndny09>,
    > "Karl Uppiano" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Okay... evidently... not...
    >>
    >> That, in itself, is... interesting... I guess...

    > Well, in fairness, you posted the previous message on a Sunday when most
    > US folks aren't working, then waited fewer than 12 hours before
    > concluding that nobody is doing this....

    I agree, I did not leave a long time to germinate, however, this is a busy
    group, and even on a slow day, many posts see responses within a couple of
    hours.

    > You would be better off if you looked in on the JAX-WS project page at
    > <http://java-ws-xml.dev.java.net/>. Or look for other projects at
    > <http://www.dev.java.net> (which redirects). JAX-WS, JAX-RPC and others
    > there have mailing lists that are not too high-volume and include
    > participation by Sun staff involved in the development.

    Those are good suggestions -- which I will follow up, but I would still be
    interested in hearing from anyone in this group having experience in this
    area.
    Karl Uppiano, Dec 19, 2006