Isn't C Programming In DOS, A Part Of This Newsgroup?

~neil~

Hello

I was asked to try another group in an earlier post, I was writing the
program in C inside a DOS window. Software of choice -> (Borland Turbo
C++ 1.0).

Nobody uses DOS anymore?...I'm I the only one?

Dos is not the issue! It's weather or not C programming is still
excepted by users writing programs for the DOS operating
system...........some people don't agree.

This is lang.C ........right? Where does it say you have to program in
Windows or DOS for that matter?

People seem to forget where it evolved from, even though I had a
couple issues with a enviroment variable in the autoexec.bat file, I
tried keep the subtance of my post within the bounds of this group.

I picked up a book called "Microsoft C" by Kris Jamesea it was
published in 1988, got it from library that I used to write a program
earlier.....
with a little help from others here in this group.

There you have it.............it's old, so what!!

It's far from dead I would think!!:).......haha

Neil

Arthur J. O'Dwyer

I was asked to try another group in an earlier post, I was writing the
program in C inside a DOS window. Software of choice -> (Borland Turbo
C++ 1.0).

Nobody uses DOS anymore?...I'm I the only one?

Pretty much. Even I use the WinXP console these days. :) But that's
not the point. The point is that this newsgroup doesn't discuss DOS.
We discuss the C programming language. If you want to discuss DOS, then
you should go to a group such as comp.os.msdos.programmer (I think that's
right) that does discuss DOS.
The C programming language is much wider than DOS --- wider even than
Microsoft! So it doesn't make any sense to ask us about DOS specifics,
since most of us don't use that system. (Notice that questions about
Unix, Linux, VMS, OS/X and all the rest get the same treatment.) At
the same time, standard C is "narrower," too, than the stuff you're
asking. 'execvle' (or whatever) simply doesn't exist in standard C,
so even if I /did/ know how to use it on my own system, that knowledge
might not translate to /your/ system at all.
[...] People seem to forget where it evolved from [...]

"It"? C is most closely tied to Unix by lineage. DOS is not Unix.
And Unix is off-topic here too. Here, we talk about C.
I picked up a book called "Microsoft C" by Kris Jamesea it was
published in 1988 [...]

Throw it away; it's no good for learning anything resembling modern
C programming. In 1988, ISO standard C didn't even exist! If you want to
learn standard C (C you can get help on in this newsgroup), you should
definitely get a copy of Kernighan and Ritchie's book. But first you
should read the FAQ for this newsgroup, so you know what you're getting
into.

HTH,
-Arthur

E. Robert Tisdale

~neil~ said:
[...]

The comp.lang.c newsgroup is a good place to get bad advice
about programming in Windows or DOS.
Lots of subscribers to this newsgroup
would be happy to answer your implementation specific questions
if you would just post them to an appropriate forum
such as comp.os.msdos.programmer or one of the windows newsgroups.
We are *not* omnipotent. We're just know-it-alls.
If you want reliable, expert advice about DOS or Windows programming
go someplace where there are real experts.

Kenneth Brody

~neil~ said:
Hello

I was asked to try another group in an earlier post, I was writing the
program in C inside a DOS window. Software of choice -> (Borland Turbo
C++ 1.0). [...]
This is lang.C ........right? Where does it say you have to program in
Windows or DOS for that matter?
[...]

You seem to be confusing "writing a program in C which will happen to be
run under DOS" (which is fine here) and "writing a DOS-specific program
using non-standard extensions to the C language" (which is not fine here).

You are correct that Windows/DOS/Unix/VMS/whatever is irrelevent to the
discussions here, _unless_ you are asking something specific about using
Windows/DOS/Unix/VMS/whatever.

In other words, "how do I use gotoxy() under DOS" is just as off-topic as
"how do I use sys$getdviw()" under VMS.

J. J. Farrell

I was asked to try another group in an earlier post, I was writing the
program in C inside a DOS window. Software of choice -> (Borland Turbo
C++ 1.0).

Nobody uses DOS anymore?...I'm I the only one?

Dos is not the issue! It's weather or not C programming is still
excepted by users writing programs for the DOS operating
system...........some people don't agree.

This is lang.C ........right? Where does it say you have to program in
Windows or DOS for that matter?

What are you going on about? The purpose of comp.lang.c is to
discuss programming in the C language, independent of any operating
system or environment. Needing to mention the environment you are
using is usually a good indication that your posting doesn't belong
in comp.lang.c.
People seem to forget where it evolved from,

Where what evolved from?
even though I had a
couple issues with a enviroment variable in the autoexec.bat file, I
tried keep the subtance of my post within the bounds of this group.

I picked up a book called "Microsoft C" by Kris Jamesea it was
published in 1988, got it from library that I used to write a program
earlier.....
with a little help from others here in this group.

There you have it.............it's old, so what!!

Yes, so what? What is your point?

Mark McIntyre

Where what evolved from?

I think he means C. And he's definitely right, people do forget where it
evolved from - B on a PDP-7, over a decade before MS-DOS evolved from CPM,
and probably before 8-bit microprocessors were even a twinkle in anyone's
eye.

*sigh*

Even wikipedia gets this more or less right....

Tatu Portin

Hello
I was asked to try another group in an earlier post, I was writing the
program in C inside a DOS window. Software of choice -> (Borland Turbo
C++ 1.0).

Nobody uses DOS anymore?...I'm I the only one?

Use it under win98 and tools are djgpp of course. Very happy, because gnu tools
can also be found from linux, so I'm not learning something I cannot use in
future. (supposedly)
Dos is not the issue! It's weather or not C programming is still
excepted by users writing programs for the DOS operating
system...........some people don't agree.

I use dos, because I like it more under win98. I feel others (have tried MVC++
6.0) rather heavy to run. Also, portable solutions (Allegro for me at the
moment) can help you to leave the ship when it will sink (or I'm not lazy
anymore to switch gnu/linux).
This is lang.C ........right? Where does it say you have to program in
Windows or DOS for that matter?

You can program under any platform for that sake, c is portable (for some
extent). Because this group focuses on C programming, the platform is not
issue. This group doesn't focus (comp.lang.c) on things like your compiler
(which is platform dependent), so it can't say that you have to program in some
specific platform.
People seem to forget where it evolved from, even though I had a
couple issues with a enviroment variable in the autoexec.bat file, I
tried keep the subtance of my post within the bounds of this group.

Here is a link that could help:

http://home7.inet.tele.dk/batfiles/msdos7/

Maybe it would give a change for others to help you, if you stated the problem
here? Also respecting others who expect the problem to be posted to a correct
group.