    I am ashamed to be offering £30 to whoever can finish my program.

    contact me off list
    MM
    Minor Method, Jan 24, 2006

  2. Minor Method

    zero Guest

    Re: £30 to whoever can finish my program.

    "Minor Method" <> wrote in

    > Hi, I have to write a program for school and I'm stuck. Given that the
    > deadline is fast approaching
    > I am ashamed to be offering £30 to whoever can finish my program.
    >
    > contact me off list
    > MM

    Post your problem here, along with the code you have and why it's giving
    you problems. You're likely to get a solution, plus you'll get to keep
    your money as well as actually learn something, since people here will
    point you in the right direction but not do your work for you.
    zero, Jan 24, 2006

  3. Minor Method

    Oliver Wong Guest

    "zero" <> wrote in message
    > "Minor Method" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Hi, I have to write a program for school and I'm stuck. Given that the
    >> deadline is fast approaching
    >> I am ashamed to be offering £30 to whoever can finish my program.
    >>
    >> contact me off list
    >> MM

    > Post your problem here, along with the code you have and why it's giving
    > you problems. You're likely to get a solution, plus you'll get to keep
    > your money as well as actually learn something, since people here will
    > point you in the right direction but not do your work for you.

    That is, of course, assuming that the program is to be written in the
    Java programming language, (as opposed to, say, JavaScript, or C, or
    something else).

    Ignoring for now the ethics behind asking people to do your homework for
    you, this message is not very effective for a couple of reasons. It doesn't
    say anything about the scope of the program or the deadline. Is it printing
    out the Nth Fibonacci number? Is it implementing a neural network to place
    chess? Is the deadline one month? Tonight? Does it involve Swing?
    Client-Server architecture? Distributed agents?

    Programming, and computer science, is a huge domain, and people may be
    very knowlegeable in one area, but not in the others. Without knowing more
    about the scope of the problem, it's difficult to know if one has sufficient
    background to help you. Also, depending on how big the project is, 30 pounds
    may not even be worth the effort it takes to finish it.

    - Oliver
    Oliver Wong, Jan 24, 2006
  4. =?iso-8859-1?q?Re:_=A330_to_whoever_can_finish_my_program.?=

    Minor Method wrote:
    > Hi, I have to write a program for school and I'm stuck. Given that the
    > deadline is fast approaching
    > I am ashamed to be offering £30 to whoever can finish my program.
    >
    > contact me off list
    > MM

    Minor:

    You have got to be kidding me! Can't you work together with other
    students in your class? To me, brainstorming with your peers can be
    very productive. It worked for me.

    I finished my B.S. in Computer Science at night while working
    full-time, and I always managed to complete my projects. It took quite
    a few very late nights, but I did it nonetheless.

    We are here to help you, not make money. But we're also not here to do
    your assignment for you. We will be more-than-happy to provide
    guidance if we see an effort on your part. Otherwise, how will you
    learn?

    So, why don't you provide us with the details of your project, and what
    you have done so far. Also, when is this due??

    Sincerely,

    Mike.

    --- ACGNJ Java Users Group (http://www.javasig.org/)
    Michael Redlich, Jan 24, 2006
  5. Minor Method

    Roedy Green Guest

    Re: £30 to whoever can finish my program.

    On 24 Jan 2006 09:03:58 -0800, "Minor Method"
    who said :

    >Hi, I have to write a program for school and I'm stuck. Given that the
    >deadline is fast approaching
    >I am ashamed to be offering =A330 to whoever can finish my program.

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/homework.html
    You have no idea how foolish what you are doing is.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Jan 24, 2006
  6. Re: £30 to whoever can finish my program.

    > Hi, I have to write a program for school and I'm stuck. Given that the
    > deadline is fast approaching
    > I am ashamed to be offering £30 to whoever can finish my program.
    >
    > contact me off list
    > MM

    1. "I'm stuck" - which part is giving you troubles? What have you done
    already? What have you done to resolve those problems?
    2. "the deadline is fast approaching" - when I went to school, this was
    usually the same as "I've started my assignment too late". Think about that.
    3. "whoever can finish my program" - what program? What are you supposed to
    do? What should the program do? "Hello world" can be a program, so is Adobe
    Photoshop...
    4. "30 pounds" - will someone be willing to write Adobe Photoshop for 30
    pounds? Hardly. Hello world? Maybe - but if you put your mind to it, you can
    save those 30 pounds and do it yourself.

    Please think of it this way: you can either spend the 30 pounds, earn your
    grades through cheating (30 pounds or more each time) and end up with a
    degree you didn't earn, which will give you a job you cannot hold on to.

    OR (the preferred way): you can work HARD, do your own work, and ask
    questions here (which we will gladly answer) which will land you a good job,
    which in turn will earn you several times 30 pounds to spend on other stuff.

    Make your choice - let it be the correct one.

    JC
    --
    http://jcsnippets.atspace.com
    a collection of source code, tips and tricks
    jcsnippets.atspace.com, Jan 24, 2006
  7. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Re:_=A330_to_whoever_can_finish_my_program.?=

    zero wrote:
    > "Minor Method" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Hi, I have to write a program for school and I'm stuck. Given that
    >> the deadline is fast approaching
    >> I am ashamed to be offering £30 to whoever can finish my program.
    >>
    >> contact me off list
    >> MM
    >>

    > Post your problem here, along with the code you have and why it's
    > giving you problems. You're likely to get a solution, plus you'll
    > get to keep your money as well as actually learn something, since
    > people here will point you in the right direction but not do your
    > work for you.

    I don't subscribe to this. I'll definitely refuse to do someone else's
    work - especially if the intention is to help him learn something.

    robert
    Robert Klemme, Jan 25, 2006
  8. Minor Method

    Larry Coon Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:

    > see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/homework.html
    > You have no idea how foolish what you are doing is.

    But what an opportunity! I'd like to be the first to offer
    Minor Method a job as soon as he graduates. Since he will
    not have developed the skillset needed to solve problems,
    he will have no choice but to continue paying others to do
    his work. I'll hire him, then assign him the tasks I was
    going to do anyway. He'll have to pay me to do them for him,
    and I'll make double my salary for doing my own job.

    (Insert maniacal laugh....)

    Larry Coon
    University of California
    Larry Coon, Jan 25, 2006
  9. Re: £30 to whoever can finish my program.

    "Larry Coon" <> wrote in message
    > Roedy Green wrote:
    >
    >> see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/homework.html
    >> You have no idea how foolish what you are doing is.

    > But what an opportunity! I'd like to be the first to offer
    > Minor Method a job as soon as he graduates. Since he will
    > not have developed the skillset needed to solve problems,
    > he will have no choice but to continue paying others to do
    > his work. I'll hire him, then assign him the tasks I was
    > going to do anyway. He'll have to pay me to do them for him,
    > and I'll make double my salary for doing my own job.
    >
    > (Insert maniacal laugh....)

    Has it occurred to anyone that he might be getting a degree in business and
    not have use for skill, problem solving, ability to think or mental clarity?

    --
    LTP

    :)
    Luc The Perverse, Jan 25, 2006
  10. Minor Method

    Eric Sosman Guest

    Re: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=A330_to_whoever_can_finish_my_pr?==?ISO-8859-1?Q?ogram=2E?=

    Robert Klemme wrote On 01/25/06 03:29,:
    > zero wrote:
    >
    >>"Minor Method" <> wrote in
    >>

    >>>Hi, I have to write a program for school and I'm stuck. Given that
    >>>the deadline is fast approaching
    >>>I am ashamed to be offering £30 to whoever can finish my program.
    >>>
    >>>contact me off list
    >>>MM
    >>>

    >>Post your problem here, along with the code you have and why it's
    >>giving you problems. You're likely to get a solution, plus you'll
    >>get to keep your money as well as actually learn something, since
    >>people here will point you in the right direction but not do your
    >>work for you.

    > I don't subscribe to this. I'll definitely refuse to do someone else's
    > work - especially if the intention is to help him learn something.

    Well, you could take his £30 in exchange for a
    buggy program (after all, that's what most software
    vendors do). That'd help him learn something ...

    Eric Sosman, Jan 27, 2006
  11. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Re:_=A330_to_whoever_can_finish_my_program.?=

    Eric Sosman wrote:
    > Robert Klemme wrote On 01/25/06 03:29,:
    >> zero wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Minor Method" <> wrote in

    >>> Post your problem here, along with the code you have and why it's
    >>> giving you problems. You're likely to get a solution, plus you'll
    >>> get to keep your money as well as actually learn something, since
    >>> people here will point you in the right direction but not do your
    >>> work for you.

    >> I don't subscribe to this. I'll definitely refuse to do someone
    >> else's work - especially if the intention is to help him learn
    >> something.

    > Well, you could take his £30 in exchange for a
    > buggy program (after all, that's what most software
    > vendors do). That'd help him learn something ...

    *g* Go ahead, the money is yours - at least it was your idea. :)

    robert
    Robert Klemme, Jan 30, 2006