    book(s).

    TIA!

    kynnjo

    kj, Jan 9, 2008

  2. kj

    Doug Morse Guest

    Several of the O'Reilly & Assoc. books -- such as Python in a Nutshell, The
    Python Standard Library, etc -- are in large part reproductions of the
    official docs and references. So, while not exactly what you asked for, the
    ORA books might be a viable alternative if what you want isn't available.

    Doug Morse, Jan 9, 2008

  3. Doug Morse wrote:

    > Several of the O'Reilly & Assoc. books -- such as Python in a Nutshell, The
    > Python Standard Library, etc -- are in large part reproductions of the
    > official docs and references.

    if you're using "reproduction" to mean "copy", I think you owe both me
    and Alex a big apology.

    </F>

    Fredrik Lundh, Jan 9, 2008
  4. kj

    Doug Morse Guest

    Hi Fredrik,

    I'm terribly confused. You want me to apologize for recommending that someone
    buy your books? To apologize for noting that they are a quality reference
    sources for Python?

    Doug

    Doug Morse, Jan 9, 2008
  5. Doug Morse wrote:

    > I'm terribly confused. You want me to apologize for recommending that someone
    > buy your books? To apologize for noting that they are a quality reference
    > sources for Python?

    for implying that the material in them is copied from the python.org
    handbooks. at least that's what "reproduce" means in my dictionary.

    </F>

    Fredrik Lundh, Jan 9, 2008
  6. kj

    Terry Reedy Guest

    "Doug Morse" <> wrote in message
    | Hi Fredrik,
    |
    | I'm terribly confused. You want me to apologize for recommending that
    someone
    | buy your books? To apologize for noting that they are a quality
    reference
    | sources for Python?

    As a past and future technical writer, I can understand Fredrik's reaction.
    Your recommendation seemed somewhat lukewarm to me ("So, while not exactly
    what you asked for, the ORA books might be a viable alternative if what you
    want isn't available" ) and looking back at the original, I do not see
    'quality' anywhere. If someone thinks of the docs as low quality, as some
    do, then labelling others' work as a reproduction would imply the same of
    the reproduction.

    There is a HUGH difference between a 'reproduction' and an intended-to-be
    more literate and readable writing that covers the same material. (I have
    not seen Fredrik's book, so I cannot comment on how well he succeeded.)

    Terry Jan Reedy

    | On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 21:59:34 +0100, Fredrik Lundh
    <>

    Terry Reedy, Jan 10, 2008
  7. kj

    Mike Guest

    On Jan 9, 2:59 pm, Fredrik Lundh <> wrote:
    > Doug Morse wrote:
    > > Several of the O'Reilly & Assoc. books -- such as Python in a Nutshell, The
    > > Python Standard Library, etc -- are in large part reproductions of the
    > > official docs and references.

    > if you're using "reproduction" to mean "copy", I think you owe both me
    > and Alex a big apology.
    >
    > </F>

    I am a fan of your effbot blog and I've thought about buying your book
    before. Can you tell me how much of it is still valid for Python 2.5
    since the book was released in 2001 and written with 2.0 in mind? Are
    you planning to update it at some point? It would be nice to have a
    complete library reference with a good index at times.

    Thank you,

    Mike

    Mike, Jan 11, 2008