    document by over 9 times?

    best regards,
    Alok
    Alok, Nov 10, 2006

  2. Alok wrote:
    > I want to purchase the ISO C++ standard ISO/IEC 14882:2003
    > specification for reference. The ANSI store sells the PDF or CD-ROM of
    > the document for $30
    > http://webstore.ansi.org/ansidocstore/product.asp?sku=INCITS/ISO/IEC 14882-2003,
    > but the ISO store sells the seemingly same document for CHF 352 ( or
    > over $281.82 http://www.google.com/search?q=352 chf in usd )
    > http://www.iso.org/iso/en/CatalogueDetailPage.CatalogueDetail?CSNUMBER=38110&ICS1=35&ICS2=60&ICS3=
    > ???
    >
    > Does anyone know if there are differences in the content for the
    > document from the two places? Why is the ISO store overpricing the
    > same document by over 9 times?

    You need to ask ISO. Nobody in their right mind would buy the $281 PDF
    from ISO just to compare it to the $30 from ANSI to find out that they
    are exactly the same. Perhaps ANSI gets funded from the US government
    better, while ISO has to exist on donations and standard sales, who knows?

    Victor Bazarov, Nov 10, 2006

  3. Alok

    Alok Guest

    Victor Bazarov wrote:
    > You need to ask ISO.

    Would they even bother answering me? I think not.

    > Nobody in their right mind would buy the $281 PDF
    > from ISO just to compare it to the $30 from ANSI to find out that they
    > are exactly the same. Perhaps ANSI gets funded from the US government
    > better, while ISO has to exist on donations and standard sales, who knows?

    I agree, but they could have already bought the $281 PDF from ISO, and
    then buy the $30 (and it was only $20 a few months ago) to compare ? Or
    maybe bought one for personal use and got the other one at work?

    Alok
    Alok, Nov 10, 2006
  4. Alok wrote:
    > Victor Bazarov wrote:
    >> You need to ask ISO.

    > Would they even bother answering me? I think not.

    But they are the only ones that know for sure.

    >> Nobody in their right mind would buy the $281 PDF
    >> from ISO just to compare it to the $30 from ANSI to find out that
    >> they are exactly the same. Perhaps ANSI gets funded from the US
    >> government better, while ISO has to exist on donations and standard
    >> sales, who knows?

    > I agree, but they could have already bought the $281 PDF from ISO, and
    > then buy the $30 (and it was only $20 a few months ago) to compare ?

    Why? If you already set yourself back $281, why spend extra $30? Not
    wise, if you ask me.

    > Or maybe bought one for personal use and got the other one at work?

    I bought one for personal use and use it personally at work. I see no
    need to buy another copy at work.

    Victor Bazarov, Nov 10, 2006
  5. Alok

    Greg Guest

    Alok wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I want to purchase the ISO C++ standard ISO/IEC 14882:2003
    > specification for reference. The ANSI store sells the PDF or CD-ROM of
    > the document for $30
    > http://webstore.ansi.org/ansidocstore/product.asp?sku=INCITS/ISO/IEC 14882-2003,
    > but the ISO store sells the seemingly same document for CHF 352 ( or
    > over $281.82 http://www.google.com/search?q=352 chf in usd )
    > http://www.iso.org/iso/en/CatalogueDetailPage.CatalogueDetail?CSNUMBER=38110&ICS1=35&ICS2=60&ICS3=
    > ???
    >
    > Does anyone know if there are differences in the content for the
    > document from the two places? Why is the ISO store overpricing the same
    > document by over 9 times?

    Because the ISO version is an actual book (and at that price I would
    expect it to have gilt-edged pages and to be beautifully hand-written
    and illuminated by an order of medieval monks who spent decades slaving
    away on the work ...) Whereas with ANSI you get an electronic document
    which won't look as good on your bookshelf as the pre-Gutenberg volume,
    of that I am certain.

    Greg
    Greg, Nov 10, 2006
  6. Greg wrote:
    > Alok wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> I want to purchase the ISO C++ standard ISO/IEC 14882:2003
    >> specification for reference. The ANSI store sells the PDF or CD-ROM
    >> of the document for $30
    >> http://webstore.ansi.org/ansidocstore/product.asp?sku=INCITS/ISO/IEC 14882-2003,
    >> but the ISO store sells the seemingly same document for CHF 352 ( or
    >> over $281.82 http://www.google.com/search?q=352 chf in usd )
    >> http://www.iso.org/iso/en/CatalogueDetailPage.CatalogueDetail?CSNUMBER=38110&ICS1=35&ICS2=60&ICS3=
    >> ???
    >>
    >> Does anyone know if there are differences in the content for the
    >> document from the two places? Why is the ISO store overpricing the
    >> same document by over 9 times?

    > Because the ISO version is an actual book

    No, it isn't. Visit the link. It's a PDF download or a cd-rom.

    Victor Bazarov, Nov 10, 2006
  7. Alok

    Greg Guest

    Victor Bazarov wrote:
    > Greg wrote:
    > > Alok wrote:
    > >> Hi,
    > >> I want to purchase the ISO C++ standard ISO/IEC 14882:2003
    > >> specification for reference. The ANSI store sells the PDF or CD-ROM
    > >> of the document for $30
    > >> http://webstore.ansi.org/ansidocstore/product.asp?sku=INCITS/ISO/IEC 14882-2003,
    > >> but the ISO store sells the seemingly same document for CHF 352 ( or
    > >> over $281.82 http://www.google.com/search?q=352 chf in usd )
    > >> http://www.iso.org/iso/en/CatalogueDetailPage.CatalogueDetail?CSNUMBER=38110&ICS1=35&ICS2=60&ICS3=
    > >> ???
    > >>
    > >> Does anyone know if there are differences in the content for the
    > >> document from the two places? Why is the ISO store overpricing the
    > >> same document by over 9 times?

    > > Because the ISO version is an actual book

    > No, it isn't. Visit the link. It's a PDF download or a cd-rom.

    ....or you can request in the shipping instructions to have the ISO
    store send you a hardcopy of the Standard. Note also that the PDF
    version allows only one copy of the document to be printed.

    Greg
    Greg, Nov 10, 2006
  8. Alok

    Alok Guest

    Greg wrote:
    > ...or you can request in the shipping instructions to have the ISO
    > store send you a hardcopy of the Standard. Note also that the PDF
    > version allows only one copy of the document to be printed.

    A searchable PDF copy is much more valuable than a big fat book, for me
    as a programmer. So the ISO store does not give me an option to avail a
    PDF for lesser price. Also the ANSI Store also provides a book for just
    $60.
    Alok
    Alok, Nov 10, 2006
  9. Alok

    Alok Guest

    Victor Bazarov wrote:
    > Alok wrote:
    > > Victor Bazarov wrote:
    > >> You need to ask ISO.

    > > Would they even bother answering me? I think not.

    > But they are the only ones that know for sure.

    About the price yes. About the value for the price, any one who has a
    copy of both would know about it.

    > >> Nobody in their right mind would buy the $281 PDF
    > >> from ISO just to compare it to the $30 from ANSI to find out that
    > >> they are exactly the same. Perhaps ANSI gets funded from the US
    > >> government better, while ISO has to exist on donations and standard
    > >> sales, who knows?

    > > I agree, but they could have already bought the $281 PDF from ISO, and
    > > then buy the $30 (and it was only $20 a few months ago) to compare ?

    > Why? If you already set yourself back $281, why spend extra $30? Not
    > wise, if you ask me.

    I agree, but what if someone had not searched for other options to buy
    the standard and hastily purchased it from the ISO website store.

    > > Or maybe bought one for personal use and got the other one at work?

    > I bought one for personal use and use it personally at work. I see no
    > need to buy another copy at work.

    But the work place could have already had a copy before. (Maybe not in
    your case, but for others)

    Alok
    Alok, Nov 10, 2006
  10. Alok

    Alok Guest

    Greg wrote:
    > ...or you can request in the shipping instructions to have the ISO
    > store send you a hardcopy of the Standard. Note also that the PDF
    > version allows only one copy of the document to be printed.

    Clicked through all but the payment page. No shipping options to send a
    printed copy so far.
    Alok.
    Alok, Nov 10, 2006