ISO IEC C++ standard specification 14882:2003

Alok

Hi,
I want to purchase the ISO C++ standard ISO/IEC 14882:2003
specification for reference. The ANSI store sells the PDF or CD-ROM of
the document for $30
http://webstore.ansi.org/ansidocstore/product.asp?sku=INCITS/ISO/IEC+14882-2003,
but the ISO store sells the seemingly same document for CHF 352 ( or
over $281.82 http://www.google.com/search?q=352+chf+in+usd )
http://www.iso.org/iso/en/CatalogueDetailPage.CatalogueDetail?CSNUMBER=38110&ICS1=35&ICS2=60&ICS3=
???

Does anyone know if there are differences in the content for the
document from the two places? Why is the ISO store overpricing the same
document by over 9 times?

best regards,
Alok

Victor Bazarov

Alok said:
I want to purchase the ISO C++ standard ISO/IEC 14882:2003
specification for reference. The ANSI store sells the PDF or CD-ROM of
the document for $30
http://webstore.ansi.org/ansidocstore/product.asp?sku=INCITS/ISO/IEC+14882-2003,
but the ISO store sells the seemingly same document for CHF 352 ( or
over $281.82 http://www.google.com/search?q=352+chf+in+usd )
http://www.iso.org/iso/en/CatalogueDetailPage.CatalogueDetail?CSNUMBER=38110&ICS1=35&ICS2=60&ICS3=
???

Does anyone know if there are differences in the content for the
document from the two places? Why is the ISO store overpricing the
same document by over 9 times?

You need to ask ISO. Nobody in their right mind would buy the $281 PDF
from ISO just to compare it to the $30 from ANSI to find out that they
are exactly the same. Perhaps ANSI gets funded from the US government
better, while ISO has to exist on donations and standard sales, who knows?

Alok

Victor said:
You need to ask ISO.

Would they even bother answering me? I think not.
Nobody in their right mind would buy the $281 PDF
from ISO just to compare it to the $30 from ANSI to find out that they
are exactly the same. Perhaps ANSI gets funded from the US government
better, while ISO has to exist on donations and standard sales, who knows?

I agree, but they could have already bought the $281 PDF from ISO, and
then buy the $30 (and it was only $20 a few months ago) to compare ? Or
maybe bought one for personal use and got the other one at work?

Alok

Victor Bazarov

Alok said:
Would they even bother answering me? I think not.

But they are the only ones that know for sure.
I agree, but they could have already bought the $281 PDF from ISO, and
then buy the $30 (and it was only $20 a few months ago) to compare ?

Why? If you already set yourself back $281, why spend extra $30? Not
wise, if you ask me.
Or maybe bought one for personal use and got the other one at work?

I bought one for personal use and use it personally at work. I see no
need to buy another copy at work.

Greg

Alok said:
Hi,
I want to purchase the ISO C++ standard ISO/IEC 14882:2003
specification for reference. The ANSI store sells the PDF or CD-ROM of
the document for $30
http://webstore.ansi.org/ansidocstore/product.asp?sku=INCITS/ISO/IEC+14882-2003,
but the ISO store sells the seemingly same document for CHF 352 ( or
over $281.82 http://www.google.com/search?q=352+chf+in+usd )
http://www.iso.org/iso/en/CatalogueDetailPage.CatalogueDetail?CSNUMBER=38110&ICS1=35&ICS2=60&ICS3=
???

Does anyone know if there are differences in the content for the
document from the two places? Why is the ISO store overpricing the same
document by over 9 times?

Because the ISO version is an actual book (and at that price I would
expect it to have gilt-edged pages and to be beautifully hand-written
and illuminated by an order of medieval monks who spent decades slaving
away on the work ...) Whereas with ANSI you get an electronic document
which won't look as good on your bookshelf as the pre-Gutenberg volume,
of that I am certain.

Greg

Greg

Victor said:
No, it isn't. Visit the link. It's a PDF download or a cd-rom.

....or you can request in the shipping instructions to have the ISO
store send you a hardcopy of the Standard. Note also that the PDF
version allows only one copy of the document to be printed.

Greg

Alok

Greg said:
...or you can request in the shipping instructions to have the ISO
store send you a hardcopy of the Standard. Note also that the PDF
version allows only one copy of the document to be printed.

A searchable PDF copy is much more valuable than a big fat book, for me
as a programmer. So the ISO store does not give me an option to avail a
PDF for lesser price. Also the ANSI Store also provides a book for just
$60.
Alok

Alok

Victor said:
But they are the only ones that know for sure.
About the price yes. About the value for the price, any one who has a
copy of both would know about it.
Why? If you already set yourself back $281, why spend extra $30? Not
wise, if you ask me.

I agree, but what if someone had not searched for other options to buy
the standard and hastily purchased it from the ISO website store.
I bought one for personal use and use it personally at work. I see no
need to buy another copy at work.

But the work place could have already had a copy before. (Maybe not in
your case, but for others)

Alok

Alok

Greg said:
...or you can request in the shipping instructions to have the ISO
store send you a hardcopy of the Standard. Note also that the PDF
version allows only one copy of the document to be printed.

Clicked through all but the payment page. No shipping options to send a
printed copy so far.
Alok.