ISO the "Harbison and Steele" of C++

kj

My favorite book on C, by far, is Harbison and Steele's "C: A
Reference Manual." (In fact, it is my all-time favorite computer
language reference book, irrespective of language.) Even though
it is an authoritative reference manual, I found it more than
readable enough to use it as the book to learn C from.

This question is aimed at those who appreciate Harbison and Steele's
book: among C++ books out there, which one of them deserves most
to be regarded as "The Harbison and Steele of C++"?

Thanks!

kj

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=

My favorite book on C, by far, is Harbison and Steele's "C: A
Reference Manual." (In fact, it is my all-time favorite computer
language reference book, irrespective of language.) Even though
it is an authoritative reference manual, I found it more than
readable enough to use it as the book to learn C from.

This question is aimed at those who appreciate Harbison and Steele's
book: among C++ books out there, which one of them deserves most
to be regarded as "The Harbison and Steele of C++"?

I have not read C: A Reference Manual, merely used is as a reference so
I can't say anything about style but The C++ Programming language by
Bjarne Strousrup is very complete and about as authoritative you can get
without looking at the standard, and it can be used as a textbook to
learn from (and as a reference).

Roland Pibinger

My favorite book on C, by far, is Harbison and Steele's "C: A
Reference Manual." (In fact, it is my all-time favorite computer
language reference book, irrespective of language.) Even though
it is an authoritative reference manual, I found it more than
readable enough to use it as the book to learn C from.
This question is aimed at those who appreciate Harbison and Steele's
book: among C++ books out there, which one of them deserves most
to be regarded as "The Harbison and Steele of C++"?

Ray Lischner: "C++ In a Nutshell"
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/cplsian/index.html