    and deloying to IIS 6.0?

    Thanks,
    Scott
    Wm. Scott Miller, Mar 17, 2006

  2. Wm. Scott Miller

    Winista Guest

    One difference you will find is that in IIS6 ASP.Net process runs under
    Network Service account and on IIS5.1 (XP) it runs under ASPNET account. So
    if you have any dependency on this account then you will have to account for
    it. But if you are using Windows authentication, then there is no
    difference. Other than this, you should be all set.

    --
    Netomatix
    http://www.netomatix.com

    Winista, Mar 17, 2006

  3. Thank you for the reply!

    So if we are using a limited domain account on IIS 6.0 for our Windows
    Authentication, do we just add the ASPNET account of the development machine
    for a trusted connection or do we configure 5.1 to use the same limited
    domain account? I seem to remember having to make sure configurations under
    the Local Machine Policy were correct to use this. Is that correct and if
    so can you point me in the right direction? Or, is there a way to add the
    IIS_WPG on a 5.1 machine to make configuration simpler?

    Scott

    Wm. Scott Miller, Mar 17, 2006
  4. On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 11:31:46 -0500, Wm. Scott Miller wrote:

    > ALSO Are there any "gotchas" when developing on IIS 5.1
    > and deloying to IIS 6.0?

    Plenty. You don't say if you're using .NET 1.1 or 2.0, i'll assume 1.1
    since 2.0 comes with the development web server that solves most of these
    issues.

    First, on XP, you can only have one web site, the default web site. If you
    need to develop multiple sites, then you have to do a lot of of swapping
    around of IIS configurations, though I suppose you could write a script to
    make this easy.

    Second, if you're doing anything that depends on domain identity, then you
    will run into certain problems. Some operations can't be done on XP, and
    require a server version of Windows. Also, the identity of the worker
    process runs as a different user by default.

    IIS6 has Application Pools, while IIS 5.x doesn't. If you configure your
    app with pools, then various conditions will be different between your
    clients and servers.

    Certain, server side services won't be available on XP, mostly involving
    MSMQ and the like. If you're not using anything that's server version
    specific, you don't have to worry about this.
    Erik Funkenbusch, Mar 18, 2006