    Can anyone help?

    Thanks
    Dave
    Dave, Dec 12, 2003

  2. Dave

    Jon Guest

    Have now got 'c:\inetpub\wwwroot' ?
    If yes put a 'default.asp' in there. (there may be one there, but it's an MS
    one)
    Open your bowser and goto 'http://localhost'

    If that fails come back with at what stage this failed..

    Jon

    "Dave" <> wrote in message
    Hi

    I am trying to set my windows xp pro system up so that i can write and test
    ..asp pages.I have followed the instructions given by www.w3schools.com to
    install the internet information services components. however, it says that
    I should then get an icon for ISS on the taskbar that will allow me to press
    'start' so that my asp pages will work, but I have no such icon. I have
    tried reinstalling several times but with no change.

    Can anyone help?

    Thanks
    Dave
    Jon, Dec 12, 2003

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Hiya

    I do have the '\inetpub\wwwroot' directory although I specified during the
    installation that it should be on d drive. I created a simple asp file:

    <%
    response.write("Hello World!")
    %>

    and saved this as default.asp in the wwwroot folder, however when I typed
    in http://localhost into IE I got the standard 'the page cannot be
    displayed' page.

    Under 'adminastrative tools' I have got icons for iss, bit nothing on the
    toolbar.

    Thanks
    Dave

    Dave, Dec 13, 2003
  4. Dave

    Bob Barrows Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > Hiya
    >
    > I do have the '\inetpub\wwwroot' directory although I specified
    > during the installation that it should be on d drive. I created a
    > simple asp file:

    > <%
    > response.write("Hello World!")
    > %>

    > and saved this as default.asp in the wwwroot folder, however when I
    > typed in http://localhost into IE I got the standard 'the page cannot
    > be displayed' page.
    >
    > Under 'adminastrative tools' I have got icons for iss, bit nothing on
    > the toolbar.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Dave
    >
    > "Jon" <jon@SPAM_OFFtheexperts.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Have now got 'c:\inetpub\wwwroot' ?
    >> If yes put a 'default.asp' in there. (there may be one there, but
    >> it's an MS one)
    >> Open your bowser and goto 'http://localhost'
    >>
    >> If that fails come back with at what stage this failed..
    >>
    >> Jon
    >>
    >> "Dave" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I am trying to set my windows xp pro system up so that i can write
    >> and test .asp pages.I have followed the instructions given by
    >> www.w3schools.com to install the internet information services
    >> components. however, it says that I should then get an icon for ISS
    >> on the taskbar that will allow me to press 'start' so that my asp
    >> pages will work, but I have no such icon. I have tried reinstalling
    >> several times but with no change.
    >>
    >> Can anyone help?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Dave

    I've got no such icon on my taskbar (which taskbar? the system tray? the
    quick launch bar?). I have to start the Internet Information Services applet
    from the Administative Tools folder in my control panel. Sure, I've created
    a shortcut to it in my Quick Launch bar, but I had to do it manually: it was
    not created automatically during installation.

    HTH,
    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows, Dec 13, 2003
  5. Dave

    Jon Guest

    The wissing 'inetpub' to me indeicates that IIS is not installed, I'm not
    sure how else to check, I'm sure someone does.

    On XP Pro I installed it by "Add or Remove Programs" ... "Add or Remove
    Windows Components" .... then choose "Internet Information Services (IIS)
    ...15.9Mb"

    Jon

    Jon, Dec 15, 2003
  6. Dave

    Ray at Guest

    I'm jumping in mid-thread here, but are you sure you aren't thinking of PWS
    from Windows 98? That put something in the task bar, afaIk, but IIS
    doesn't.

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Dec 15, 2003