ISS icon missing from taskbar?

Dave

Hi

I am trying to set my windows xp pro system up so that i can write and test
..asp pages.I have followed the instructions given by www.w3schools.com to
install the internet information services components. however, it says that
I should then get an icon for ISS on the taskbar that will allow me to press
'start' so that my asp pages will work, but I have no such icon. I have
tried reinstalling several times but with no change.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Dave

Jon

Have now got 'c:\inetpub\wwwroot' ?
If yes put a 'default.asp' in there. (there may be one there, but it's an MS
one)
Open your bowser and goto 'http://localhost'

If that fails come back with at what stage this failed..

Jon

Hi

I am trying to set my windows xp pro system up so that i can write and test
..asp pages.I have followed the instructions given by www.w3schools.com to
install the internet information services components. however, it says that
I should then get an icon for ISS on the taskbar that will allow me to press
'start' so that my asp pages will work, but I have no such icon. I have
tried reinstalling several times but with no change.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Dave

Dave

Hiya

I do have the '\inetpub\wwwroot' directory although I specified during the
installation that it should be on d drive. I created a simple asp file:

<%
response.write("Hello World!")
%>

and saved this as default.asp in the wwwroot folder, however when I typed
in http://localhost into IE I got the standard 'the page cannot be
displayed' page.

Under 'adminastrative tools' I have got icons for iss, bit nothing on the
toolbar.

Thanks
Dave

Bob Barrows

Dave said:
Hiya

I do have the '\inetpub\wwwroot' directory although I specified
during the installation that it should be on d drive. I created a
simple asp file:

<%
response.write("Hello World!")
%>

and saved this as default.asp in the wwwroot folder, however when I
typed in http://localhost into IE I got the standard 'the page cannot
be displayed' page.

Under 'adminastrative tools' I have got icons for iss, bit nothing on
the toolbar.

Thanks
Dave

I've got no such icon on my taskbar (which taskbar? the system tray? the
quick launch bar?). I have to start the Internet Information Services applet
from the Administative Tools folder in my control panel. Sure, I've created
a shortcut to it in my Quick Launch bar, but I had to do it manually: it was
not created automatically during installation.

HTH,
Bob Barrows

Jon

The wissing 'inetpub' to me indeicates that IIS is not installed, I'm not
sure how else to check, I'm sure someone does.

On XP Pro I installed it by "Add or Remove Programs" ... "Add or Remove
Windows Components" .... then choose "Internet Information Services (IIS)
...15.9Mb"

Jon

Hiya

I do have the '\inetpub\wwwroot' directory although I specified during the
installation that it should be on d drive. I created a simple asp file:

<%
response.write("Hello World!")
%>

and saved this as default.asp in the wwwroot folder, however when I typed
in http://localhost into IE I got the standard 'the page cannot be
displayed' page.

Under 'adminastrative tools' I have got icons for iss, bit nothing on the
toolbar.

Thanks
Dave

Ray at

I'm jumping in mid-thread here, but are you sure you aren't thinking of PWS
from Windows 98? That put something in the task bar, afaIk, but IIS
doesn't.

Ray at work