    [1] This is something I'm completely ignorant about.

    --
    |||||||||||||||| Nehmo Sergheyev ||||||||||||||||
    Nehmo Sergheyev, Jul 2, 2005

  2. Nehmo Sergheyev

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Nehmo Sergheyev quothed

    > Some username-password request pages, upon submitting the password, a
    > JavaScript (I think[1]) box comes up asking for the "master password".
    > This has happened a few times to me on sites I have already
    > registered-to and used. I put in the same password that I used in the
    > form password field, and the authentication works.
    >
    > So why did they add the JavaScript to redundantly asking for the
    > password? What purpose does it serve?
    >
    > One example is http://isohunt.com/
    >
    > [1] This is something I'm completely ignorant about.

    Maybe they used to watch the TV show too much.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Jul 3, 2005

  3. Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:

    > Some username-password request pages, upon submitting the password, a
    > JavaScript (I think[1]) box comes up asking for the "master password".
    > This has happened a few times to me on sites I have already
    > registered-to and used.

    That sounds more like you have some password management software installed
    that remembers passwords for websites and (if you give it ITS password)
    will fill them in for you - so you only have to remember one password.

    If you don't know about it, then there is a reasonably chance it was
    installed as part of a spyware bundle, so grab yourself a copy of AdAware
    and get your machine scanned ASAP.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Jul 3, 2005
  4. On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 20:59:24 GMT, "Nehmo Sergheyev" <>
    announced to an awaiting world :

    >Some username-password request pages, upon submitting the password, a
    >JavaScript (I think[1]) box comes up asking for the "master password".
    >This has happened a few times to me on sites I have already
    >registered-to and used. I put in the same password that I used in the
    >form password field, and the authentication works.
    >
    >So why did they add the JavaScript to redundantly asking for the
    >password? What purpose does it serve?
    >
    >One example is http://isohunt.com/
    >
    >[1] This is something I'm completely ignorant about.

    Are you talking about "User Authentication" perhaps ? I had this problem with a
    password directory on a website I'm the webmaster for where the password was
    asked for twice before being accepted. The problem turned out to be that there
    wasn't a final "/" after the directory name being specified - without it the
    system was initially trying to identify a FILE with the directory name in the
    parent directory.....added the "/" on the advice of the website host and it
    worked.

    Hope this helps,
    DS
    David Springthorpe, Jul 3, 2005
  5. Re: Re: It Asks for the Password Twice

    On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 19:04:48 +1000, David Springthorpe
    <> announced to an awaiting world :

    >password directory.....

    Should have read "password protected directory".....

    DS
    David Springthorpe, Jul 3, 2005
  6. Nehmo Sergheyev

    Nehmo Guest

    You're right. I'm using Firefox, and I installed an extension called
    AutoForm http://autoform.mozdev.org/ . When I installed it, I thought
    it was similar to Google's Auto Fill in the G toolbar for IE. It
    doesn't act like that, and at this point I'm not exactly sure what it
    does. But now I believe it is what's responsible for producing the
    password box I described earlier.
    --

    Nehmo, Jul 3, 2005