It Asks for the Password Twice

Nehmo Sergheyev

Some username-password request pages, upon submitting the password, a
JavaScript (I think[1]) box comes up asking for the "master password".
This has happened a few times to me on sites I have already
registered-to and used. I put in the same password that I used in the
form password field, and the authentication works.

So why did they add the JavaScript to redundantly asking for the
password? What purpose does it serve?

One example is http://isohunt.com/

[1] This is something I'm completely ignorant about.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Nehmo Sergheyev quothed
Some username-password request pages, upon submitting the password, a
JavaScript (I think[1]) box comes up asking for the "master password".
This has happened a few times to me on sites I have already
registered-to and used. I put in the same password that I used in the
form password field, and the authentication works.

So why did they add the JavaScript to redundantly asking for the
password? What purpose does it serve?

One example is http://isohunt.com/

[1] This is something I'm completely ignorant about.

Maybe they used to watch the TV show too much.

David Dorward

Nehmo said:
Some username-password request pages, upon submitting the password, a
JavaScript (I think[1]) box comes up asking for the "master password".
This has happened a few times to me on sites I have already
registered-to and used.

That sounds more like you have some password management software installed
that remembers passwords for websites and (if you give it ITS password)
will fill them in for you - so you only have to remember one password.

If you don't know about it, then there is a reasonably chance it was
installed as part of a spyware bundle, so grab yourself a copy of AdAware
and get your machine scanned ASAP.

David Springthorpe

Some username-password request pages, upon submitting the password, a
JavaScript (I think[1]) box comes up asking for the "master password".
This has happened a few times to me on sites I have already
registered-to and used. I put in the same password that I used in the
form password field, and the authentication works.

So why did they add the JavaScript to redundantly asking for the
password? What purpose does it serve?

One example is http://isohunt.com/

[1] This is something I'm completely ignorant about.

Are you talking about "User Authentication" perhaps ? I had this problem with a
password directory on a website I'm the webmaster for where the password was
asked for twice before being accepted. The problem turned out to be that there
wasn't a final "/" after the directory name being specified - without it the
system was initially trying to identify a FILE with the directory name in the
parent directory.....added the "/" on the advice of the website host and it
worked.

Hope this helps,
DS

Nehmo

You're right. I'm using Firefox, and I installed an extension called
AutoForm http://autoform.mozdev.org/ . When I installed it, I thought
it was similar to Google's Auto Fill in the G toolbar for IE. It
doesn't act like that, and at this point I'm not exactly sure what it
does. But now I believe it is what's responsible for producing the
password box I described earlier.