It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond applicat

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor], Jul 5, 2006.

  1. which element are you trying to add to the sub folder - <authorization> ??
    that works

    Is your base folder configured as an application??

    ---------------------------------------
    Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
    http://www.leastprivilege.com

    > I have an application with some subfolders that i am trying to
    > protect. When i configure the web.config to secure that folder, i get
    > the dreaded, "It is an error to use a section registered as
    > allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This
    > error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an
    > application in IIS."
    >
    > On my testing server it works fine, on the live server it doesnt. I
    > cannot make the subdirectory an application. On the live server i dont
    > have acess to iis. And besides not having acess making the folder an
    > application kinda defeats the purpose of having forms authentication
    > in the first place. What's the point of having forms authentication
    > when you cannot secure sub folders.
    >
    > Any help?

  3. That looks correct.

    Is you application root folder configured as an application in IIS?

    whats the complete errror message?

    ---------------------------------------

    Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor], Jul 5, 2006
  4. Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

    Guest

    Dominick wrote:
    > which element are you trying to add to the sub folder - <authorization> ??
    > that works
    >
    > Is your base folder configured as an application??
    >
    > ---------------------------------------
    > Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
    > http://www.leastprivilege.com
    >
    > > I have an application with some subfolders that i am trying to
    > > protect. When i configure the web.config to secure that folder, i get
    > > the dreaded, "It is an error to use a section registered as
    > > allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This
    > > error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an
    > > application in IIS."
    > >
    > > On my testing server it works fine, on the live server it doesnt. I
    > > cannot make the subdirectory an application. On the live server i dont
    > > have acess to iis. And besides not having acess making the folder an
    > > application kinda defeats the purpose of having forms authentication
    > > in the first place. What's the point of having forms authentication
    > > when you cannot secure sub folders.
    > >
    > > Any help?

    , Jul 5, 2006
  5. Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

    Guest

    Yes it is, error is as follow:

    Server Error in '/' Application.

    Configuration Error
    file required to service this request. Please review the specific error
    details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

    allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This
    error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an
    application in IIS.

    Source Error:

    Line 34: <location path="crm">
    Line 35: <system.web>
    Line 36: <authorization>
    Line 37: <deny users="?"/>
    Line 38: </authorization>

    Dominick wrote:
    > That looks correct.
    >
    > Is you application root folder configured as an application in IIS?
    >
    > whats the complete errror message?
    >
    > ---------------------------------------
    > Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
    > http://www.leastprivilege.com
    >
    > > Yes, i am trying to get a subfolder rpotected by adding:
    > > <location path="crm">
    > > <system.web>
    > > <authorization>
    > > <deny users="?"/>
    > > </authorization>
    > > </system.web>
    > > </location>
    > > The actual folder crm is not configured as an application. If i
    > > configure it as an application visual studio throughs it out. What is
    > > the correct procedure to do so? And if i configure it as an applicatio
    > > how would i include it in the project?
    > >
    > > Dominick wrote:
    > >
    > >> which element are you trying to add to the sub folder -
    > >> <authorization> ?? that works
    > >>
    > >> Is your base folder configured as an application??
    > >>
    > >> ---------------------------------------
    > >> Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
    > >> http://www.leastprivilege.com

    , Jul 5, 2006
  6. This all looks correct to me. I assume you are not nesting the location element
    inside system.web?!
    It is NOT required to make the sub dir an IIS application.

    If you say it is working on one server and not on another - there seems to
    be a different problem.

    Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor], Jul 5, 2006