It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication'

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by jc, Oct 28, 2008.

  1. jc

    jc Guest

    RE: It is an error to use a section registered as
    allowDefinition='MachineToApplication'

    There's an asp.net 1.1 vb.net vs 2003 solution under a virtual
    directory on one of our sites. I can see the solution and project
    files in under the folder where the IIS virtual directory is
    pointing.

    The solution is working fine.

    On the server, If I manually create a new virtual directory, create a
    new application name for it under the same application pool and copy
    the the full directory into the new virtual I can browse the solution.

    However if I attempt to browse the logon.aspx page I get this error:

    Configuration Error
    configuration file required to service this request. Please review the
    specific error details below and modify your configuration file
    appropriately.

    allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This
    error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an
    application in IIS.

    Source Error:

    Line 37: by Microsoft that offers a single logon and core
    profile services for member sites.
    Line 38: -->
    Line 39: <authentication mode="Forms" >
    Line 40: <!-- <forms loginUrl="Logon.aspx" name="AuthCookie"
    timeout="60" path="/auth" ></forms>-->
    Line 41: </authentication>

    I've checked IIS settings on the two virtuals and security on both
    directories and they are identical. I've confirmed the new virtual in
    IIS is an application. I've checked IIS security. the new directory is
    parallel with the old directory.. not underneith it. I've done an IIS
    reset.

    I've seen many posts on this topic.. none has helped.

    Will I need to recompile and redeploy the solution to the new
    Virtual?.. I'd like to avoid this.

    Looking at the original working solution, it has an AssemblyInfo.vb
    file a specific GUID.. should this matter?

    I see the issue as purely an IIS issue.. but can't figure out why.

    Moving past this (at some point soon I hope). If this web server only
    has extensions for ASP.NET 1.1, any reason a site cannot run both 1.1
    and 2.0? Any way to compile this code using VS.NET 2005 and deploy
    into this server if 2.0 is not available?

    Thanks.
    jc, Oct 28, 2008

  2. Hello JC,

    Could you post a screenshot of your IIS mmc console with sites opened there
    :)
    It still seems to be IIS issue, that your have web.config somewhere above
    your folders

    ---
    WBR,
    Michael Nemtsev [Microsoft MVP] :: blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour