    1997), where in the Introduction a very similar code to mine is
    placed.

    Janek

    janek, Feb 21, 2005

  2. janek wrote:

    > So please, look into Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming Language" (AT&T
    > 1997), where in the Introduction a very similar code to mine is
    > placed.
    >
    > Janek

    What are you talking about?

    Please note: The regulars work though dozends of postings each day.
    At least I don't know every post by heart that I see each day and by
    whom it was posted. So a little bit of context of what you are talking
    about is always a good idea.

    --
    Karl Heinz Buchegger

    Karl Heinz Buchegger, Feb 21, 2005

  3. janek

    red floyd Guest

    Karl Heinz Buchegger wrote:
    > janek wrote:
    >
    >>So please, look into Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming Language" (AT&T
    >>1997), where in the Introduction a very similar code to mine is
    >>placed.
    >>
    >> Janek

    > What are you talking about?
    >
    > Please note: The regulars work though dozends of postings each day.
    > At least I don't know every post by heart that I see each day and by
    > whom it was posted. So a little bit of context of what you are talking
    > about is always a good idea.

    Karl, I did a search for "janek" in my Google Groups. The only post
    from 2005 would be the one about namespace vs. class.

    To answer Janek's (presumed) question: 1997 is pre-Standard. That
    particular edition of TCPPL didn't discuss namespaces properly.
    Pre-Standard, the only way to create global data items in their own
    namespace was to make them static members of a class.

    red floyd, Feb 21, 2005
  4. red floyd wrote:

    > Karl, I did a search for "janek" in my Google Groups. The only post
    > from 2005 would be the one about namespace vs. class.
    >
    > To answer Janek's (presumed) question: 1997 is pre-Standard. That
    > particular edition of TCPPL didn't discuss namespaces properly.
    > Pre-Standard, the only way to create global data items in their own
    > namespace was to make them static members of a class.

    Actually it is TC++PL 3. Well FDIS was in November 14, 1997 (the
    finished content) so we can say it is not pre-standard. Perhaps
    Stroustrup himself may shed some light on this (if there were
    "pre-standard/non-standard things in the first printing of the book),
    however I do not think so.

    The answer to OP is that a class is a type, while a namespace is a scope
    for grouping related facilities, including classes themselves.

    --
    Ioannis Vranos

    http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys

    Ioannis Vranos, Feb 21, 2005