It seems the spammers have found us

Karl Uppiano

Isn't there a way to block postings from anyone who posts to more than just
a few related groups? This is ridiculous and offensive.

a24900

Isn't there a way to block postings from anyone who posts to more than just
a few related groups? This is ridiculous and offensive.

With a real newsreader (e.g. 40tude, XNews, strn, Pan, Forte Agent,
Sylpheed, Gravity, gnus, PC Pine, ...) this is usually a piece of
cake.

Google Groups and Outlook Express don't qualify as real newsreaders.
Thunderbird also doesn't qualify in the filtering department. There is
nothing you can do with Google Groups. But OE, Thunderbird and the
like can be extended with nfilter. But nfilter hasn't been updated for
some time now.

Greg R. Broderick

Isn't there a way to block postings from anyone who posts to more than
just a few related groups?

Yes, there is. It is called a killfile. Most news readers support this
functionality. If yours doesn't, then I'd suggest a visit to
news.software.readers to look for a new newsreader.

I use XNews, which, despite being pretty much at the end of its life (very
rare maintenance releases), still has the necessary functionality to filter
out postings that I don't want to see (such as those that you mention).

Cheers!

Greg R. Broderick (e-mail address removed)

A. Top posters.

Tris Orendorff

"Greg R. Broderick" <[email protected]> burped up warm
pablum in
Yes, there is. It is called a killfile. Most news readers support this
functionality. If yours doesn't, then I'd suggest a visit to
news.software.readers to look for a new newsreader.

I use XNews, which, despite being pretty much at the end of its life (very
rare maintenance releases), still has the necessary functionality to filter
out postings that I don't want to see (such as those that you mention).

Nonsense! Xnews is still going strong and coasting into its middle age.
It even runs under Wine and Linux.