It seems the spammers have won the war...

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Travis Newbury, Aug 23, 2009.

  1. Looks like the spammers are now out numbering the real alt.html
    posters. Too bad. A few rotten eggs spoil it for the rest of us.

    Travis Newbury, Aug 23, 2009

  2. Travis Newbury

    Doug Miller Guest

    In article <>, Travis Newbury <> wrote:
    >Looks like the spammers are now out numbering the real alt.html
    >posters. Too bad. A few rotten eggs spoil it for the rest of us.

    Doesn't look that way to me: five posts this morning, and only one of them
    spam -- and I'm not even using any spam filters.

    BTW, nearly all Usenet spam comes through the same portal you're using: Google
    Groups. For that reason, many people filter out all traffic that originated
    there. To maximize the audience for your own posts, you should consider
    switching to a real newsreader, instead of using Google's broken interface.

    Doug Miller, Aug 23, 2009

  3. Travis Newbury wrote:

    > Looks like the spammers are now out numbering the real alt.html
    > posters. Too bad. A few rotten eggs spoil it for the rest of us.

    What spammers? It is a simple matter to filter out Google Group posts,
    and once done, this group is quite pleasant.

    !markread Message-ID googlegroups.com

    Oh wait, you use Google Groups! I don't know what ta tell ya then. I
    only saw your post because you are on my list of non-spamming GG users,
    with a !markunread ...

    You remember the late Blinky The Shark, right, and his site, now copied
    at: http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 23, 2009
  4. On 2009-08-23 15:38:31 +0200, (Doug Miller) said:

    > In article
    > <>,
    > Travis Newbury <> wrote:
    >> Looks like the spammers are now out numbering the real alt.html
    >> posters. Too bad. A few rotten eggs spoil it for the rest of us.

    > Doesn't look that way to me: five posts this morning, and only one of them
    > spam -- and I'm not even using any spam filters.

    No spam at all for me.

    > BTW, nearly all Usenet spam comes through the same portal you're using: Google
    > Groups. For that reason, many people filter out all traffic that originated
    > there.

    That's probably why I didn't see any spam today: I don't see postings
    from gmail addresses except from posters that I've specifically
    identified.

    > To maximize the audience for your own posts, you should consider
    > switching to a real newsreader, instead of using Google's broken interface.

    It took me a long time to do this (about two years ago) but once I did
    the improvement in the surfing experience was huge. I don't remember
    how much I paid for the program I use (not huge, anyway), and I pay 10
    euros a year for access to the server. I imagine most people can afford
    that, and anyway free servers exist.

    --
    athel

    Athel Cornish-Bowden, Aug 23, 2009
  5. Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:

    > That's probably why I didn't see any spam today: I don't see postings
    > from gmail addresses except from posters that I've specifically
    > identified.

    Since there are Google Groupers who don't use gmail addresses, and since
    there are real people using gmail but _not_ the GG web interface ... is
    your newsreader (Unison for Mac) capable of filtering on the Message-ID?

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 23, 2009
  6. On 2009-08-23 16:10:02 +0200, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> said:

    > Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
    >
    >> That's probably why I didn't see any spam today: I don't see postings
    >> from gmail addresses except from posters that I've specifically
    >> identified.

    > Since there are Google Groupers who don't use gmail addresses, and since
    > there are real people using gmail but _not_ the GG web interface ... is
    > your newsreader (Unison for Mac) capable of filtering on the Message-ID?

    Apparently not (I just tried it), but the options that they do have
    work pretty well. Whenever I come across a serious person who uses a
    gmail address I add a new rule to admit them. (I can usually tell if
    they're serious from the replies people send them.) Although I'm sure
    that Google Groupers who don't use gmail exist they don't cause any
    problems in the groups that I frequent. (This may be because the news
    server (News.individual.net) does some filtering of its own, so a lot
    of the garbage I wouldn't be able to read even if I wanted to).
    --
    athel

    Athel Cornish-Bowden, Aug 23, 2009
  7. Travis Newbury wrote:
    > Looks like the spammers are now out numbering the real alt.html
    > posters. Too bad. A few rotten eggs spoil it for the rest of us.

    Eh? In a month's worth of alt.html postings, I see only one ad, one
    piece of vandalism, and one message whose contents Thunderbird doesn't
    seem to want to display. That's all. I use individual.net for Usenet, FWIW.

    Harlan Messinger, Aug 23, 2009
  8. Travis Newbury

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Harlan Messinger <> wrote:

    > Travis Newbury wrote:
    > > Looks like the spammers are now out numbering the real alt.html
    > > posters. Too bad. A few rotten eggs spoil it for the rest of us.

    > Eh? In a month's worth of alt.html postings, I see only one ad, one
    > piece of vandalism, and one message whose contents Thunderbird doesn't
    > seem to want to display. That's all. I use individual.net for Usenet, FWIW.

    I get almost no spam either. Today, for example, there is just this
    thread. I do nothing special except have a few filters for any posts
    that kept annoying me. The news server must be doing it. I know this is
    is not spam, but when I filtered out The Mad Hatter years ago, I noticed
    a dramatic drop in posts for alt.html because along with him came a
    complete army of wild things...

    But there are usenet groups where one needs to filter for GG (letting in
    a few selected individuals in), not so much for the spam but for other
    "blinkey" type reasons.

    GG vary in how they filter themselves, look at alt.html on web and
    compare with alt.php on web. The former is impossible (as Travis is
    saying), the latter looks clean.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 23, 2009
  9. On Aug 23, 9:48 am, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:
    > > Looks like the spammers are now out numbering the real alt.html
    > > posters.  Too bad.  A few rotten eggs spoil it for the rest of us.

    > What spammers?  It is a simple matter to filter out Google Group posts,
    > and once done, this group is quite pleasant.
    >    !markread Message-ID googlegroups.com
    > Oh wait, you use Google Groups!  I don't know what ta tell ya then.

    Uh, you can filter the spam from google groups. I was just commenting
    on the ratio between spam and good posts and spam outnumbers good
    posts by a factor of about 10 to 1

    Travis Newbury, Aug 24, 2009
  10. Travis Newbury

    William Gill Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Harlan Messinger <> wrote:
    >
    >> Travis Newbury wrote:
    >>> Looks like the spammers are now out numbering the real alt.html
    >>> posters. Too bad. A few rotten eggs spoil it for the rest of us.

    >> Eh? In a month's worth of alt.html postings, I see only one ad, one
    >> piece of vandalism, and one message whose contents Thunderbird doesn't
    >> seem to want to display. That's all. I use individual.net for Usenet, FWIW.

    > I get almost no spam either. Today, for example, there is just this
    > thread. I do nothing special except have a few filters for any posts
    > that kept annoying me. The news server must be doing it. I know this is
    > is not spam, but when I filtered out The Mad Hatter years ago, I noticed
    > a dramatic drop in posts for alt.html because along with him came a
    > complete army of wild things...
    >
    > But there are usenet groups where one needs to filter for GG (letting in
    > a few selected individuals in), not so much for the spam but for other
    > "blinkey" type reasons.
    >
    > GG vary in how they filter themselves, look at alt.html on web and
    > compare with alt.php on web. The former is impossible (as Travis is
    > saying), the latter looks clean.

    I'm seeing the same thing as Travis, the spam has increased
    exponentially lately. You must be right, it must be the news server
    falling down on the job. I'm not surprised, the news server my ISP uses
    is a disaster. It took me several hours, and many new attempts to reply
    to a message because of server timeouts.

    --
    Bill

    William Gill, Aug 24, 2009
  11. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed William Gill
    <> writing in

    >> I get almost no spam either. Today, for example, there is just this
    >> thread. I do nothing special except have a few filters for any posts
    >> that kept annoying me. The news server must be doing it.
    >>

    > I'm seeing the same thing as Travis, the spam has increased
    > exponentially lately. You must be right, it must be the news server
    > falling down on the job.

    I'm using news.eternal.september.org and I'm seeing hardly any spam. Posts
    go to the groups immediately, not one or two minutes later like they used
    to when I used my ISP's news server.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Aug 24, 2009
  12. Travis Newbury

    dorayme Guest

    In article <DQokm.90429$>,
    William Gill <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > Harlan Messinger <> wrote:

    > >> Eh? In a month's worth of alt.html postings, I see only one ad, one
    > >> piece of vandalism, and one message whose contents Thunderbird doesn't
    > >> seem to want to display. That's all. I use individual.net for Usenet, FWIW.

    > > I get almost no spam either. Today, for example, there is just this
    > > thread. I do nothing special except have a few filters for any posts
    > > that kept annoying me. The news server must be doing it. I know this is
    > > is not spam, but when I filtered out The Mad Hatter years ago, I noticed
    > > a dramatic drop in posts for alt.html because along with him came a
    > > complete army of wild things...
    > >
    > > But there are usenet groups where one needs to filter for GG (letting in
    > > a few selected individuals in), not so much for the spam but for other
    > > "blinkey" type reasons.
    > >
    > > GG vary in how they filter themselves, look at alt.html on web and
    > > compare with alt.php on web. The former is impossible (as Travis is
    > > saying), the latter looks clean.
    > >

    > I'm seeing the same thing as Travis, the spam has increased
    > exponentially lately. You must be right, it must be the news server
    > falling down on the job. I'm not surprised, the news server my ISP uses
    > is a disaster. It took me several hours, and many new attempts to reply
    > to a message because of server timeouts.

    I used to use the one that came with my Optus plan, but after a few
    breakdowns, some of considerable length (more than a week...), I changed
    to albasani...

    I cannot see why the Google portal has alt.html clean and alt.php (there
    are other examples) spamful? Perhaps it goes on subscriber numbers? If
    it is too large, Google give up? alt.html is described as having a high
    activity, alt.php as medium.

    On the other hand, there is another factor, alt.php has Jerry Stuckle
    and Google may be giving it a wide berth like one would with a week long
    dead unrefrigerated haddock... <g>

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 24, 2009
  13. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme
    <> writing in news:doraymeRidThis-
    :

    > On the other hand, there is another factor, alt.php has Jerry Stuckle
    > and Google may be giving it a wide berth like one would with a week long
    > dead unrefrigerated haddock... <g>

    No shit! Pity there isn't a way to filter out those silly my peepee is
    bigger than yours "discussions" he gets into.

    Adrienne Boswell, Aug 24, 2009
  14. Adrienne Boswell wrote:

    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme:
    >> On the other hand, there is another factor, alt.php has Jerry Stuckle
    >> and Google may be giving it a wide berth like one would with a week
    >> long dead unrefrigerated haddock... <g>

    > No shit! Pity there isn't a way to filter out those silly my peepee
    > is bigger than yours "discussions" he gets into.

    Press "I". Works well.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 24, 2009
  15. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Adrienne Boswell
    <> writing in

    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed William Gill
    ><> writing in
    >

    >>> I get almost no spam either. Today, for example, there is just this
    >>> thread. I do nothing special except have a few filters for any posts
    >>> that kept annoying me. The news server must be doing it.
    >>>

    >> I'm seeing the same thing as Travis, the spam has increased
    >> exponentially lately. You must be right, it must be the news server
    >> falling down on the job.

    > I'm using news.eternal.september.org and I'm seeing hardly any spam.
    > Posts go to the groups immediately, not one or two minutes later like
    > they used to when I used my ISP's news server.

    I spoke too soon, there's a bunch this morning.

    Adrienne Boswell, Aug 24, 2009
  16. Travis Newbury

    Joy Beeson Guest

    On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 16:24:51 +0000 (UTC), Adrienne Boswell
    <> wrote:

    > I spoke too soon, there's a bunch this morning.

    Eternal September had cleaned the spam out of alt.html by the time I
    logged in this evening.

    Joy Beeson
    --
    joy beeson at comcast dot net
    http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/ -- sewing

    Joy Beeson, Aug 25, 2009
  17. Travis Newbury

    Ganesh Guest

    On Aug 25, 6:12 am, Joy Beeson <> wrote:
    > Eternal September had cleaned the spam out of alt.html by the time I
    > logged in this evening.

    There are no or very less SPAM in other open groups? HOWZ that?

    Ganesh, Aug 25, 2009
  18. Ganesh wrote:
    > On Aug 25, 6:12 am, Joy Beeson <> wrote:
    >> Eternal September had cleaned the spam out of alt.html by the time I
    >> logged in this evening.

    > There are no or very less SPAM in other open groups? HOWZ that?

    They filter it at the server level, like ISP do with mail servers.
    Sometimes we see a header, but trying to open the message just give you
    a bad or expired article response.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Aug 25, 2009
  19. On 23 août, 15:27, Travis Newbury <> wrote:
    > Looks like the spammers are now out numbering the real alt.html
    > posters.  Too bad.  A few rotten eggs spoil it for the rest of us.

    Yes - for me it is also disgusting to see the change since last time
    some weeks (or months?) ago when I posted the last time on alt.html.

    I am going back now one month into the past with the google interface
    in this group
    and click "report spam" on each of those corresponding postings.
    I hope I am using my time in a good way like that.

    Jan C. Faerber, Sep 4, 2009
  20. Travis Newbury wrote:
    > Looks like the spammers are now out numbering the real alt.html
    > posters. Too bad. A few rotten eggs spoil it for the rest of us.

    Sorry, I've been away... Did I miss anything?

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss