[iText] compression

Ingo R. Homann

Hi,

I am generating 2 documents with iText. I want to test, if the documents
are identical. (Background: I'm doing a refactoring and want to test if
the functionality remains the same.)

The documents look identical, but "diff" says that they are not.
Unfortunately, it doesn't tell me *what* differences are there, because
the files are binary.

My first idea was that there is a timestamp in the PDF that is not
displayed but of course is a difference.

I tried to filter the PDFs using "hexdump -C", but when comparing the
results with diff, it is obvious that there are *many* differences (or
perhaps it is only a small "offset-difference" that diff does not
realize correctly).

Anyhow, that kind of comparison does not work.

So, my question is: (How) can i tell iText to save a document
"uncompressed", so that the differeneces are more obvious and readable?

Or is there a completely different approch to my problem rather than
extract the ASCII out of the PDF at the end?

Ciao,
Ingo

Rhino

Ingo R. Homann said:
[...]

You might get better answers if you tried posting this question on the iText
forum (at the iText website). You may even find that this has been answered
already in the archive of that forum. The developers of iText are very
active in helping users solve problems with iText.

Here on comp.lang.java.programmer, you will find that most people have never
used iText and even some of us who have used it, have never tried to do file
comparisons between different versions of documents.