ITUGLIB update

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Joachim Schmitz, Dec 13, 2011.

  1. Hi folks

    With quite some embarassment I have to admit to a rather bad and stupid bug
    in floss-1.1. It has been brought to my attention last Sunday and is fixed
    now, in floss-1.3, but quite a few packages on ITUGLIB had been build using
    that broken libfloss.a.

    Background: the floss_read() and floss_write() funktions that are there to
    split read()/write() into chunks of at most SSIZE_MAX (53248) bytes reported
    a wrong byte count (the last byte count rather the grand total).
    So every program using these calls that reads/writes files larger than 53248
    bytes and checks the return values of the read/write is doomed to fail.
    As bad as that sounds, I've been using bash and vim on a more or less daily
    basis and not noticed any problem with them so far, yet they are potentially
    affected (see below), so maybe I was only lucky to not have been biten by
    the bug.

    I've rebuilt all the potentially affected packages (list follows), so if you
    downloaded any of them since about 14Feb2011, please load them again now
    (some packages I have just rebuild and replaced on ITUGLIB, some others I
    updated to the latest version)

    The list:
    floss-1.1-src.tar.gz (left on ITUGLIB for historical reasons) updated to
    floss-1.3!
    bash-4.1.11-nse.tar.gz (nsr version to follow)
    bash-4.2.20-nse.tar.gz (nsr version to follow)
    ncurses-5.7-nse.tar.gz updated to ncurses-5.9
    php-5.3.8-nse.tar.gz
    readline-6.2-nse.tar.gz updated to readline-6.2.002
    samba-3.5.*-nse.tar.gz updated to samba-3.5.12
    samba-3.6.*-nse.tar.gz updated to samba-3.6.1
    tack-1.07-nse.tar.gz
    unzip-6.0-nse.tar.gz
    vim-7.2-nse.tar.gz
    vim-7.3-nse.tar.gz patchlevel 359 updated to patchlevel 372
    wget-1.13.1-nse.tar.gz updated to wget-1.13.4!
    zip-3.0-nse.tar.gz
    zlib-1.2.5-nse.tar.gz

    I'm terribly sorry for the inconvenience caused!

    Oh and for those who need the URL to ITUGLIB:
    http://ituglib.connect-community.org

    --
    Bye, Jojo
    Joachim Schmitz, Dec 13, 2011

  2. Joachim Schmitz wrote:
    > Hi folks
    >
    > With quite some embarassment I have to admit to a rather bad and
    > stupid bug in floss-1.1. It has been brought to my attention last
    > Sunday and is fixed now, in floss-1.3, but quite a few packages on
    > ITUGLIB had been build using that broken libfloss.a.
    >
    > Background: the floss_read() and floss_write() funktions that are
    > there to split read()/write() into chunks of at most SSIZE_MAX
    > (53248) bytes reported a wrong byte count (the last byte count rather
    > the grand total).
    > So every program using these calls that reads/writes files larger
    > than 53248 bytes and checks the return values of the read/write is
    > doomed to fail.
    > As bad as that sounds, I've been using bash and vim on a more or less
    > daily basis and not noticed any problem with them so far, yet they
    > are potentially affected (see below), so maybe I was only lucky to
    > not have been biten by the bug.
    >
    > I've rebuilt all the potentially affected packages (list follows), so
    > if you downloaded any of them since about 14Feb2011, please load them
    > again now (some packages I have just rebuild and replaced on ITUGLIB,
    > some others I updated to the latest version)
    >
    > The list:
    > floss-1.1-src.tar.gz (left on ITUGLIB for historical reasons) updated
    > to floss-1.3!
    > bash-4.1.11-nse.tar.gz (nsr version to follow)
    > bash-4.2.20-nse.tar.gz (nsr version to follow)
    > ncurses-5.7-nse.tar.gz updated to ncurses-5.9
    > php-5.3.8-nse.tar.gz
    > readline-6.2-nse.tar.gz updated to readline-6.2.002
    > samba-3.5.*-nse.tar.gz updated to samba-3.5.12
    > samba-3.6.*-nse.tar.gz updated to samba-3.6.1
    > tack-1.07-nse.tar.gz
    > unzip-6.0-nse.tar.gz
    > vim-7.2-nse.tar.gz
    > vim-7.3-nse.tar.gz patchlevel 359 updated to patchlevel 372
    > wget-1.13.1-nse.tar.gz updated to wget-1.13.4!
    > zip-3.0-nse.tar.gz
    > zlib-1.2.5-nse.tar.gz
    >
    > I'm terribly sorry for the inconvenience caused!
    >
    > Oh and for those who need the URL to ITUGLIB:
    > http://ituglib.connect-community.org

    Sorry, wrong newsgroup... should have gone to comp.sys.tandem

    Bye, Jojo
    Joachim Schmitz, Dec 13, 2011

  3. Joachim Schmitz

    Kleuske Guest

    On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 15:22:24 +0100, Joachim Schmitz saw fit to publish the
    following:

    > Joachim Schmitz wrote:
    >> Hi folks
    >>
    >> With quite some embarassment I have to admit to a rather bad and stupid
    >> bug in floss-1.1. It has been brought to my attention last Sunday and
    >> is fixed now, in floss-1.3, but quite a few packages on ITUGLIB had
    >> been build using that broken libfloss.a.
    >>
    >> Background: the floss_read() and floss_write() funktions that are there
    >> to split read()/write() into chunks of at most SSIZE_MAX (53248) bytes
    >> reported a wrong byte count (the last byte count rather the grand
    >> total).
    >> So every program using these calls that reads/writes files larger than
    >> 53248 bytes and checks the return values of the read/write is doomed to
    >> fail.
    >> As bad as that sounds, I've been using bash and vim on a more or less
    >> daily basis and not noticed any problem with them so far, yet they are
    >> potentially affected (see below), so maybe I was only lucky to not have
    >> been biten by the bug.
    >>
    >> I've rebuilt all the potentially affected packages (list follows), so
    >> if you downloaded any of them since about 14Feb2011, please load them
    >> again now (some packages I have just rebuild and replaced on ITUGLIB,
    >> some others I updated to the latest version)
    >>
    >> The list:
    >> floss-1.1-src.tar.gz (left on ITUGLIB for historical reasons) updated
    >> to floss-1.3!
    >> bash-4.1.11-nse.tar.gz (nsr version to follow) bash-4.2.20-nse.tar.gz
    >> (nsr version to follow) ncurses-5.7-nse.tar.gz updated to ncurses-5.9
    >> php-5.3.8-nse.tar.gz
    >> readline-6.2-nse.tar.gz updated to readline-6.2.002
    >> samba-3.5.*-nse.tar.gz updated to samba-3.5.12 samba-3.6.*-nse.tar.gz
    >> updated to samba-3.6.1 tack-1.07-nse.tar.gz
    >> unzip-6.0-nse.tar.gz
    >> vim-7.2-nse.tar.gz
    >> vim-7.3-nse.tar.gz patchlevel 359 updated to patchlevel 372
    >> wget-1.13.1-nse.tar.gz updated to wget-1.13.4! zip-3.0-nse.tar.gz
    >> zlib-1.2.5-nse.tar.gz
    >>
    >> I'm terribly sorry for the inconvenience caused!
    >>
    >> Oh and for those who need the URL to ITUGLIB:
    >> http://ituglib.connect-community.org

    > Sorry, wrong newsgroup... should have gone to comp.sys.tandem
    >
    > Bye, Jojo

    Errare humanum est. Good luck!

    --
    One does not thank logic.
    -- Sarek, "Journey to Babel", stardate 3842.4
    Kleuske, Dec 14, 2011
  4. Kleuske <> writes:
    > On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 15:22:24 +0100, Joachim Schmitz saw fit to publish the
    > following:
    >
    >> Joachim Schmitz wrote:

    [43 lines deleted]

    >> Sorry, wrong newsgroup... should have gone to comp.sys.tandem
    >>
    >> Bye, Jojo

    > Errare humanum est. Good luck!

    Did you really need to quote the entire article? (Did you need to
    respond at all?)

    Will write code for food.
    Keith Thompson, Dec 14, 2011
  5. Joachim Schmitz

    Kleuske Guest

    On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 13:04:28 -0800, Keith Thompson saw fit to publish the
    following:

    > Kleuske <> writes:
    >> On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 15:22:24 +0100, Joachim Schmitz saw fit to publish
    >> the following:
    >>
    >>> Joachim Schmitz wrote:

    > [43 lines deleted]
    >>>
    >>> Sorry, wrong newsgroup... should have gone to comp.sys.tandem
    >>>
    >>> Bye, Jojo

    >> Errare humanum est. Good luck!

    > Did you really need to quote the entire article?

    It wasn't overly long.

    > (Did you need to respond at all?)

    Nope. Did you?

    --