    Anatolij Guest

    Hello people.Sorry for stupid question.But who can exlplain to me difference
    between IUSR_COMPUTERNAME and ASPNET account.
    Anatolij, May 21, 2004

  2. The first one is an IIS account used for the anonymous authentication, the
    second one is an ASP.NET account used for the asp.net worker process.

    HtH,
    Andrea

    Andrea D'Onofrio [MSFT], May 21, 2004

  3. ASP.NET takes advantage of two layers of security: 1) IIS Security, 2)
    ASP.NET Security

    You may read about the security model here:

    What happens is that first, IIS has to authenticate the user. IIS may be set
    to one of several different authentication modes, of which one is
    "Anonymous". In old ASP, if you selected this option only, the user would
    not be authenticated. All the actions of the user would be done using the
    "IUSR_MACHINENAME" account.

    In ASP.NET you may still be using the same account if you 1) set
    authentication in IIS to use Anonymous, and 2) set the
    <impersonation="true"> in web.config.

    The default, however is <impersonation="false"> which means the "ASPNET"
    user account will be used.

    If you want to use integrated windows authentication (acces to the website
    is done under the users domain or local windows account), then you should
    select "Windows Authentication" in IIS and <authentication mode="windows">
    (default setting) in web.config. And you should set <impersonation="true">.

    Sincerely
    Svein Terje Gaup
    Svein Terje Gaup, May 22, 2004