IXmlSerializable.GetSchema creates mutiple schema elements in my wsdl

Jeremy

I've built a class that uses the IXmlSerializable interface to do custom
serialization. I"ve then used the IXmlSerializable.GetSchema() method to
output the schema of my class to the wsdl in my web service. The problem is
that the schema of my class appears in a seperate schema element in the
wsdl. It needs to be in the main schema element so that an application can
consume the web service properly, because I've found that at least with .net
apps, they only consume the first schema element. How can I get only one
schema element in the wsdl?

I've included my class and the wsdl snippets below:

My Class:
public class AnyTextData2 : AnyTextData,
System.Xml.Serialization.IXmlSerializable
{
public AnyTextData2()

System.Xml.Schema.XmlSchema
System.Xml.Serialization.IXmlSerializable.GetSchema()
{
/*
<s:complexType name="AnyTextData2">
<s:simpleContent>
<s:extension base="s:string">
<s:attribute name="Attribute" type="s:string" />
</s:extension>
</s:simpleContent>
</s:complexType>
*/

System.Xml.Schema.XmlSchema pSchema = new
System.Xml.Schema.XmlSchema();
pSchema.ElementFormDefault =
System.Xml.Schema.XmlSchemaForm.Qualified;
pSchema.Id = "0"; //Seems an id is mandatory

//<s:complexType name="CData">
System.Xml.Schema.XmlSchemaComplexType pComplexType = new
System.Xml.Schema.XmlSchemaComplexType();
pComplexType.Name = "AnyTextData2";

//<xs:simpleContent>
System.Xml.Schema.XmlSchemaSimpleContent pSimpleContent = new
System.Xml.Schema.XmlSchemaSimpleContent();

//<s:extension base="s:string">
System.Xml.Schema.XmlSchemaSimpleContentExtension pExtension = new
System.Xml.Schema.XmlSchemaSimpleContentExtension();
pExtension.BaseTypeName = new
System.Xml.XmlQualifiedName("string");//"s:string"

//<s:attribute name="Attribute" type="s:string" />
System.Xml.Schema.XmlSchemaAttribute pAttribute = new
System.Xml.Schema.XmlSchemaAttribute();
pAttribute.Name = "Attribute";
pAttribute.SchemaTypeName = new
System.Xml.XmlQualifiedName("string");//"s:string"
pExtension.Attributes.Add(pAttribute);

pSimpleContent.Content = pExtension;
pComplexType.ContentModel = pSimpleContent;

pSchema.Items.Add(pComplexType);

return pSchema;

}

void
System.Xml.Serialization.IXmlSerializable.ReadXml(System.Xml.XmlReader
reader)

void
System.Xml.Serialization.IXmlSerializable.WriteXml(System.Xml.XmlWriter
writer)
{
writer.WriteAttributeString("Attribute", this.Attribute);
writer.WriteCData(this.Text.Data);

WSDL snippets:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<wsdl:definitions xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/soap/"
xmlns:tm="http://microsoft.com/wsdl/mime/textMatching/"
xmlns:tns="http://tempuri.org/" xmlns:s1="http://tempuri2.org/"
xmlns:s="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
xmlns:soap12="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/soap12/"
xmlns:http="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/http/"
targetNamespace="http://tempuri.org/"
xmlns:wsdl="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/">
<wsdl:types>
<s:schema elementFormDefault="qualified"
targetNamespace="http://tempuri.org/">
</s:schema>
<s:schema elementFormDefault="qualified"
targetNamespace="http://tempuri2.org/" id="0">
<s:complexType name="AnyTextData2">
<s:simpleContent>
<s:extension base="string">
<s:attribute name="Attribute" type="string" />
</s:extension>
</s:simpleContent>
</s:complexType>
</s:schema>
</wsdl:types>
</wsdl:definitions>

John Saunders [MVP]

Jeremy said:
I've built a class that uses the IXmlSerializable interface to do custom
serialization. I"ve then used the IXmlSerializable.GetSchema() method to
output the schema of my class to the wsdl in my web service. The problem
is that the schema of my class appears in a seperate schema element in the
wsdl. It needs to be in the main schema element so that an application
can consume the web service properly, because I've found that at least
with .net apps, they only consume the first schema element. How can I get
only one schema element in the wsdl?

Jeremy,

I'll try to look at this in more detail later, but for now have a comment:
you are mistaken about .NET applications only consuming the first schema
element. I have a production web service using four schemas. I did this by
using wsdl:import elements outside of the <wsdl:types> element. It's
apparently not WS-I compliant, but it works well. I intend (in my copious
spare time) to see if I can do the equivalent by adding <schema> elements in
the <wsdl:types> and using <xs:include> to load the "real" schemas.

Jeremy

The reason I thought it was ignoring the second schema element is because
when I consume the web service, the method that returns the datatype
specified in the second scheme element has a return type of XmlElement in
the proxy class, rather than the actual data type.

John Saunders [MVP]

Jeremy said:
The reason I thought it was ignoring the second schema element is because
when I consume the web service, the method that returns the datatype
specified in the second scheme element has a return type of XmlElement in
the proxy class, rather than the actual data type.

If it had been ignoring the second schema, it could not have created your
proxy class at all.

Instead, this appears to be a problem with the type being returned from that
method, or the way the type is specified. Can you post the signature of the
webmethod, complete with any attributes on it?