    Non Stop Loop
    www.nonstoploop.net
    ------------------------------------
    news.skynet.be, Mar 21, 2005

  2. news.skynet.be

    Adam Maass Guest

    "news.skynet.be" <> wrote:
    >I am relatively new to Java, been working with it for about 6 months.
    >
    > I have one question, looking to the future, what are the main differences
    > between J2EE and the J2SE.
    >
    > I have read the introductions at sun but in the scenario of applying for a
    > job if you had worked with J2SE could you say that your knowledge would
    > cover the most of J2EE or are they so different that it requires further
    > study?

    J2EE is a set of specifications for working with enterprise-class
    applications. It includes JDBC, EJB, and the Servlet specification among
    others.

    The main differences between J2SE and J2EE invovle knowing your way around
    the specifications, as well as a working knowledge of the kinds of problems
    that J2EE solves particularly well.

    As a potential employer, I'd be wary of a candidate who knew J2SE but hadn't
    a clue about J2EE. That said, I'm more interested in bright people who can
    pick stuff up quickly than in the particulars of a candidate's job history.

    -- Adam Maass
    Adam Maass, Mar 21, 2005

  3. news.skynet.be

    Hikikomori Guest

    Actually they are rather different. J2EE covers a whole lot more stuff
    that you probably won't touch upon when you are doing J2SE
    applications. You won't know what a servlet or JSP is if you have been
    writing standalone programs for the desktop.

    It is one thing to use Java to write desktop programs but it is another
    when you use it for enterprise solutions. Your Java programming skills
    from J2SE won't go wasted, you just have to build on it. Probably a
    month or so for a crash course to understand J2EE techology.

    Hikikomori, Mar 21, 2005
  4. news.skynet.be

    Bjorn Abelli Guest

    "news.skynet.be" wrote...

    >I am relatively new to Java, been working with it for about 6 months.

    So a better group to ask this type of questions would be
    comp.lang.java.help...

    > I have one question, looking to the future, what are the main differences
    > between J2EE and the J2SE.

    This has been covered several times in these groups...

    http://groups.google.se/groups?as_q=j2ee j2se difference&as_ugroup=comp.lang.java.*&lr=&hl=sv

    ....or if that link is broken...

    http://tinyurl.com/4cxda

    > I have read the introductions at sun but in the scenario
    > of applying for a job if you had worked with J2SE could
    > you say that your knowledge would cover the most of J2EE
    > or are they so different that it requires further study?

    Short answer: Yes, it would require further study.

    J2SE stands for the "Standard Edition", while J2EE stands for the
    "Enterprise Edition".

    J2EE is an "addition" to J2SE, with some additional technologies, such as
    Servlets, JSP, Enterprise Javabeans, etc...

    // Bjorn A
    Bjorn Abelli, Mar 21, 2005
  5. news.skynet.be

    Tim Slattery Guest

    "news.skynet.be" <> wrote:

    >I am relatively new to Java, been working with it for about 6 months.
    >
    >I have one question, looking to the future, what are the main differences
    >between J2EE and the J2SE.

    J2EE contains classes that facilitate writing web applications:
    HttpServletRequest, HttpServletResponse, the rest of the
    javax.servlet.* package.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    Tim Slattery, Mar 21, 2005