J2EE and J2SE

news.skynet.be

I am relatively new to Java, been working with it for about 6 months.

I have one question, looking to the future, what are the main differences
between J2EE and the J2SE.

I have read the introductions at sun but in the scenario of applying for a
job if you had worked with J2SE could you say that your knowledge would
cover the most of J2EE or are they so different that it requires further
study?

Thanks for taking the time to read.

cheers
Martin

--

------------------------------------
Martin Thorpe

Adam Maass

news.skynet.be said:
I am relatively new to Java, been working with it for about 6 months.

I have one question, looking to the future, what are the main differences
between J2EE and the J2SE.

I have read the introductions at sun but in the scenario of applying for a
job if you had worked with J2SE could you say that your knowledge would
cover the most of J2EE or are they so different that it requires further
study?

J2EE is a set of specifications for working with enterprise-class
applications. It includes JDBC, EJB, and the Servlet specification among
others.

The main differences between J2SE and J2EE invovle knowing your way around
the specifications, as well as a working knowledge of the kinds of problems
that J2EE solves particularly well.

As a potential employer, I'd be wary of a candidate who knew J2SE but hadn't
a clue about J2EE. That said, I'm more interested in bright people who can
pick stuff up quickly than in the particulars of a candidate's job history.

-- Adam Maass

Hikikomori

Actually they are rather different. J2EE covers a whole lot more stuff
that you probably won't touch upon when you are doing J2SE
applications. You won't know what a servlet or JSP is if you have been
writing standalone programs for the desktop.

It is one thing to use Java to write desktop programs but it is another
when you use it for enterprise solutions. Your Java programming skills
from J2SE won't go wasted, you just have to build on it. Probably a
month or so for a crash course to understand J2EE techology.

Bjorn Abelli

I am relatively new to Java, been working with it for about 6 months.

So a better group to ask this type of questions would be
comp.lang.java.help...
I have one question, looking to the future, what are the main differences
between J2EE and the J2SE.

This has been covered several times in these groups...

http://groups.google.se/groups?as_q=j2ee j2se difference&as_ugroup=comp.lang.java.*&lr=&hl=sv

....or if that link is broken...

http://tinyurl.com/4cxda
I have read the introductions at sun but in the scenario
of applying for a job if you had worked with J2SE could
you say that your knowledge would cover the most of J2EE
or are they so different that it requires further study?

Short answer: Yes, it would require further study.

J2SE stands for the "Standard Edition", while J2EE stands for the
"Enterprise Edition".

J2EE is an "addition" to J2SE, with some additional technologies, such as
Servlets, JSP, Enterprise Javabeans, etc...

// Bjorn A

Tim Slattery

news.skynet.be said:
I am relatively new to Java, been working with it for about 6 months.

I have one question, looking to the future, what are the main differences
between J2EE and the J2SE.

J2EE contains classes that facilitate writing web applications:
HttpServletRequest, HttpServletResponse, the rest of the
javax.servlet.* package.