J2EE and various databases, including SQL Server

Ken Larson

I've done a fair amount of Java, but I am just starting to learn J2EE.
I'm dealing right now with a requirement for a project that the database
selected integrate well with J2EE. Specifically, I will most likely be
using SQL Server (spare me any MS gripes, this isn't my decision), but I
need to be aware of the consequences of using SQL Server in a J2EE
environment.

Is the only thing important for J2EE having a good JDBC driver? Or are
there other things that various databases offer that make them play
better with J2EE?

I am aware that Oracle offers some additional Java features like storing
Java objects in the databases, and writing stored procedure in Java. I
am also aware that high quality JDBC drivers are generally available for
most databases for free. However, with SQL Server, there is a driver
available from microsoft, an open source JTDS one (pretty young), a
weblogic one... I would also appreciate any advice people have on
selecting a JDBC driver for SQL Server. Ideally I wouldn't have to
require my customer to fork out a bunch of money just for an acceptable
JDBC driver.

I also have seen some things about JTA and XA, for transaction
processing (although I don't know much about it at this point); what
level of support is there for this for SQL Server as opposed to
alternatives?

Thanks,

Ken

Ryan Stewart

Ken Larson said:
I am aware that Oracle offers some additional Java features like storing
Java objects in the databases, and writing stored procedure in Java.

If you're talking about Oracle TopLink, it currently supports more than just
Oracle databases. That's because it was developed by someone else and bought
by Oracle recently. It has its ups and downs. For simple (relatively) object
models, it's good. For complex ones, it can get a bit sticky. The
documentation doesn't seem all that great, either. It probably has a
moderate learning curve. (I learned by watching people who already knew it,
and they were there to answer questions when I had them.)

Sudsy

Ken said:
I've done a fair amount of Java, but I am just starting to learn J2EE.
I'm dealing right now with a requirement for a project that the database
selected integrate well with J2EE. Specifically, I will most likely be
using SQL Server (spare me any MS gripes, this isn't my decision), but I
need to be aware of the consequences of using SQL Server in a J2EE
environment.

RDBMS limitations will hit you whether you're using a command-line
tool like sqlplus (Oracle) or db2sql92 (DB/2) just as readily as
when you're using JDBC or entity EJBs. Look at the capabilities
first.
Is the only thing important for J2EE having a good JDBC driver? Or are
there other things that various databases offer that make them play
better with J2EE?

It's a very important point. Have a peek here:
I am aware that Oracle offers some additional Java features like storing
Java objects in the databases, and writing stored procedure in Java.

Required or just "nice"? I can store objects in any RDBMS which
supports BLOBs, albeit with a tad more programming effort. The
idea of using Java stored procedures is a transparent (to me)
attempt to keep the "business logic" in the database instead of
where it belongs: in session EJBs.
The whole idea was to divorce the business logic from the data
store. Stored procedures and triggers tie you to a single vendor.
Think about it! Do you want proprietary or portable?
I also have seen some things about JTA and XA, for transaction
processing (although I don't know much about it at this point); what
level of support is there for this for SQL Server as opposed to
alternatives?

Again, best to refer to "the horse's mouth":
Thanks,
Ken

Here's my very personal take on the situation: I would not be
willing to "bet the company" on SQLServer. If you want a truly
"bullet-proof" solution then look for something more mature,
something proven in a variety of situations.

Check this out:
<http://www-306.ibm.com/software/suc...ViewFM?ReadForm&Site=db2software_industryL1VW>
Click on an industry to read success stories.

Or this:
<http://www.oracle.com/solutions/>
Click on one of the "Industry Solutions" and then the "Customer
Successes" link.

If I had to choose only one for a 24x7x365 operation then it
would have to be DB/2. Spare me the flames; it's just a personal
opinion.
Finally, you might want to have a look at this:
<http://www.gartner.com/DisplayDocument?doc_cd=115036>
Take from it what you will.