    this is mostly a very complex UI.
    From what ive read about the J2EE architecture ,the presentation layer
    has always been servlets or jsp.

    Is it a posibility / option to build a J2EE application without the
    web based presentation layer?
    , Jul 8, 2003

  2. Rien Nentjes Guest

    This is not a probem, a client (gui) program could communicate with the
    application server in the same way as the servlets and jsp's would.

    Rien

    Rien Nentjes, Jul 8, 2003

  3. Steve Guest

    Just about every example of J2EE I've ever seen does indeed use web as
    the presentation layer. There is no reason not to use Java objects or
    even applets running in a browser.

    If you design the application to keep the presentation layer purely
    presentational you could change from gui to web to whatever you like
    quite easily. At least that's the theory. The catch with doing "rich"
    GUIs is that logic almost always ends up in the presentation layer. It
    starts with a bit of input validation, then a bit of "pre-processing"
    and before you know it your presentation layer is doing business
    work...

    On 8 Jul 2003 02:27:17 -0700, wrote:

    >Hello.
    >Iv read a spec from a firm which wants to build a J2EE application,
    >but the application is not supposed to be web based. The reason for
    >this is mostly a very complex UI.
    >From what ive read about the J2EE architecture ,the presentation layer
    >has always been servlets or jsp.
    >
    >Is it a posibility / option to build a J2EE application without the
    >web based presentation layer?

    ~ If emailing, please use: Steve_A_Haigh
    ~ @
    ~ hotmail.com
    ~
    Steve, Jul 8, 2003
  4. Jacob Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello.
    > Iv read a spec from a firm which wants to build a J2EE application,
    > but the application is not supposed to be web based. The reason for
    > this is mostly a very complex UI.
    > From what ive read about the J2EE architecture ,the presentation layer
    > has always been servlets or jsp.
    >
    > Is it a posibility / option to build a J2EE application without the
    > web based presentation layer?

    Sure. We do this; Huge J2EE app with thousands of users.
    Front-end is a combination of VisualBasic and Swing.
    Jacob, Jul 8, 2003

    Steve <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Just about every example of J2EE I've ever seen does indeed use web as
    > the presentation layer. There is no reason not to use Java objects or
    > even applets running in a browser.
    >
    > If you design the application to keep the presentation layer purely
    > presentational you could change from gui to web to whatever you like
    > quite easily. At least that's the theory. The catch with doing "rich"
    > GUIs is that logic almost always ends up in the presentation layer. It
    > starts with a bit of input validation, then a bit of "pre-processing"
    > and before you know it your presentation layer is doing business
    > work...

    Well the way i see it there really is no alternative. If the customer
    wants a
    complex GUI there is no way to solve this in html format. Of course
    you could mix in javascript , but that would be a hell of a mess.
    , Jul 9, 2003
  6. Jacob Guest

    wrote:
    > Jacob <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >

    >>Sure. We do this; Huge J2EE app with thousands of users.
    >>Front-end is a combination of VisualBasic and Swing.

    > How do you accomplish this , by using RMI/CORBA?

    The application server (WebLogic in our case) handle
    this (using RMI I guess). On the semantic level we
    use XML/SOAP, and Jakarta/Castor to convert Java
    objects into XML.
    Jacob, Jul 9, 2003