J2EE Book recommendations forlearning

rama_guptar

Looking for book recommendations to learning J2EE. I am reasonable
knowledged in regular Java, looking for something to explain the
enterprise functionalities.

I have shortlist here. I wish that the book start with simple things
and extend them like from "Hello World" to adding storage with JDBC to
security and permissions etc etc. I would prefer if it use free tools
that is running on linux.

1) J2EE opensource toolkit (by Mr Bell and others) - is this too much
about the tools and not enough of the programming itself?

2) J2EE unleashed (Ashnault)

3) J2EE develepors handbook (by Mr's Perrone, Venkata and Shwenk)

4) Building J2EE Applications with the Rational Unified Process
by Peter Eeles (Author).

5) Developing Enterprise Java Applications with J2EE and UML
by Khawar Zaman Ahmed (Author)

Ive read the reviews at amazon and these all come out well, so anyone
can tell me which they prefers and also why?

thank you in advance ladies and gentlemens.

BarryNL

Get Mastering Enterprise JavaBeans (2nd Ed.) by Ed Roman from Wiley
Computer Publishing. Can be downloaded from their website as a free PDF
as well.

TechBookReport

rama_guptar said:
[...]

There's also 'Guide to J2EE: Enterprise Java'
(http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1852337044/454/202-4488778-0691835
), by John Hunt and Chris Loftus, which covers all aspects of the J2EE
platform, including JSP, EJB, JMS and other middleware, design patterns and
so on. There are code examples in the book, and it uses open source tools
(JBoss etc). However be warned, it has a wide scope so if you want something
very specific (e.g. JSP), you might be better off looking at a specific area
rather than the whole of the J2EE universe.

HTH

Pan
TechBookReport: http://www.techbookreport.com

Tim

I picked up J2EE Unleashed for $20.00 Canadian at one of the discount
book stores. Not bad, considering the price is stated as $89.95.
So, if you are looking to save some money and have one of those stores
around, check it out.

Trevor Lango

rama_guptar said:
[...]

Bruce Eckel's "Thinking in Enterprise Java" downloadable (for free!) from
www.mindview.net

Jules

Wrox, Professional Java Server Programming J2EE. Great book, see
Amazon for good reviews. Don't be alamed by the Professional title,
it is well written for general Java programmers to get into all the
J2EE technologies.

Jules

David Segall

BarryNL said:
Get Mastering Enterprise JavaBeans (2nd Ed.) by Ed Roman from Wiley
Computer Publishing. Can be downloaded from their website as a free PDF
as well.
I could not find the PDF download. Do you have the URL?