J2EE Development/Production Environment Advice

Discussion in 'Java' started by John, Apr 30, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hi,

    I have experience in J2SE and have recently started learning J2EE 1.4
    with a view to using it in an upcoming project. At the moment I am using
    XP Pro with the reference implementation and pointbase, which seems
    workable.

    My concern is that there seems to be a large platform-specific aspect to
    J2EE at the moment. Ideally I would like to develop using my existing
    setup then simply copy the .EAR to a server with a decent deployment setup.

    I am quickly realising that this approach is likely to fail
    catastrophically, and that to guard against this I should develop on the
    deployment environment. This leads to the question of "which environment?".

    The application will use CMP (and CMR), a web interface as well as an
    application client, and will ideally be backed by a decent transactional
    database. The server will be Windows based (for at least 18 months), but
    will only deal with thousands of transactions in each 24h period. This
    is an open source project.

    I know that's quite an extensive list of requirements, but hopefully
    someone in the group has already gone through the same process and
    worked out the best way of proceeding.

    Regards,

    John

    John, Apr 30, 2004

  2. John

    Sudsy Guest

    John wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have experience in J2SE and have recently started learning J2EE 1.4
    > with a view to using it in an upcoming project. At the moment I am using
    > XP Pro with the reference implementation and pointbase, which seems
    > workable.
    >
    > My concern is that there seems to be a large platform-specific aspect to
    > J2EE at the moment. Ideally I would like to develop using my existing
    > setup then simply copy the .EAR to a server with a decent deployment setup.

    The only "platform-specific" elements I see are the deployment
    descriptors. You can create a generic ear and deploy is any
    number of J2EE platforms. I developed an application against
    WebSphere and deployed to WebLogic, for example. Tools like
    Eclipse make things even easier as they can generate the
    platform-specific descriptors such that deployment is a breeze.

    Sudsy, Apr 30, 2004