J2EE info for beginners

Discussion in 'Java' started by Chris R., Sep 20, 2003.

  1. Chris R.

    Chris R. Guest

    Here's my current status:

    I'm moderately experienced in client-side java programming. i don't
    know it all, and i'm definitely weak in Swing and database programming,
    so i have a bit to learn there. However, i'm looking to develop this
    skill set with the J2EE platform - i have a few ideas for web apps that
    i'd like to work on, and i want to get cracking.

    The problem i have is this: Every source of info i can seem to find on
    web applications anywhere always seems to assume that i want to learn
    code automation tools, arcane server settings, or how to add a patio to
    my house with java. What i'm looking for is a very clear, but
    **thorough** j2ee tutorial, for someone who is just starting at it, but
    knows nothing outside of client-side java. No xdoclet, etc...

    If it helps, my currently-working server is running Apache tomcat, and
    JBoss (yeah, i know its not a pure reference implementation, but it'll
    do - i hope?) I'd love to hear back, from anyone that can suggest ways
    to work on this.

    Thanks in advance

    --
    Chris R.
    =======
    Chris R., Sep 20, 2003

  2. Chris R.

    J. Doe Guest

    "Chris R." <> wrote in message
    > Here's my current status:
    >
    > I'm moderately experienced in client-side java programming. i don't
    > know it all, and i'm definitely weak in Swing and database programming,
    > so i have a bit to learn there. However, i'm looking to develop this
    > skill set with the J2EE platform - i have a few ideas for web apps that
    > i'd like to work on, and i want to get cracking.

    Unfortunatly, the full J2EE platform takes some learning. There is quite a
    lot of things included.

    This is not such a bad thing, as I found out tonight when asking some PHP
    coders if PHP supported transactions, when they started going into "If you
    check this return value... etc etc" I quickly realized the answer was no!
    =o)

    What i really suggest is a good book. There are some of your standard "Teach
    yourself J2EE in x amount of time" and such, which will probably give you
    enough to get cracking. A little more detailed is "Professional Java Server
    Programming" from Wrox. Its a bit heavier a read, but covers the technology
    pretty nicely.

    Further reading which i also found useful would be "J2EE Design and
    Development" by Rod Johnson (also on Wrox). Which covers the nitty gritty of
    the platform, which technologies to use and when kind of stuff.

    Also, you will need at least a passing familiarity of XML (or you can use
    xdoclet ;o)).
    J. Doe, Sep 20, 2003