J2EE is driving me mad.

DaLoverhino

Hello. j2ee is driving me mad. I'm trying to develop some new apps
based on a beginner's book I've read, and I keep failing, so I keep
scaling back my 'ambition', and I keep failing....

So here's what I have. Apache 5.5.17, using FoxFire as browser,
everything running on my Windows XP personal edition.

I have an app:

webapps\SimpleWrite\index.html

It's just an html page with references to other html pages. The other
html pages don't exist yet. (Maybe that's the problem!), but I type:

http://localhost:8080/SimpleWrite/index.html

It works.

Now, I add to my webapps directory the following:

webapps\SimpleWrite\WEB-INF

I try "running" the same address in my browser, everything works out
okay.

Now I add to my webapps directory an empty web.xml file:

webapps\SimpleWrite\WEB-INF\web.xml

I try "running" the app again in my browser and now it fails. With
"Requested resource unavailable."

So I fill out my web.xml file like so:

<!DOCTYPE web-app

<web-app>
<welcome-file-list>
<welcome-file>index.html</welcome-file>
<welcome-file-list>
</web-app>

And then I "run" the app in my browser again, and it still fails. So
could it be the dangling references to html pages that I haven't
created? Well, I change index.html to print the message "Hello
There!!" I try to load it in my browser and I still get the same
failure.

What am I doing wrong? Could it be typo? and probably more
importantly, what basic concepts am I not getting here? J2EE is
driving me mad.

Thanks.

DaLoverhino

DaLoverhino said:
Hello. j2ee is driving me mad.

AhI I figured it out. I had to leave my computer for a minute or two
because I was about to put my fist through the monitor.

I had to stop and restart my apache server after changing the web.xml
file. It looks like I also have to quit out of firefox. But, I could
have sworn I've been doing this with every change that I do. So this
doesn't remove the fact that this technology is making me go mad.

deep

why r u making that things so though ?
as u r the fresh candidate for j2ee,then forget now about the
configuration of web.xml.
just copy web-inf folder form root directory and paste it in your
working directory.don't give any hand to the web-inf directory.then
shutdown apeche server and lon in again.

i think now your work is going as per your want.