J2EE / JSDK components for discussion group / comment threads?

Ramon Felciano

Hello --

I'm looking for a J2EE or servlet-friendly component package for
comment thread / discussion group functionality that can be integrated
into an existing app. For example, if I'm making a catalog site that
provides descriptions of stereo systems (or whatever), and I want to
allow visitors to add comments to every catalog entry. Similar use
cases would be comments on blog posts (Roller, MovableType, etc),
recommendations for books or CDs (Amazon, etc), etc.

The key here is that you want:

(a) a core set of functionality (add comments w subject + body text,
user registration, threading, etc)
(b) the ability to link a discussion to a particular data object or
concept in the underlying site (stereo / blog entry / book / CD)
(c) the abilily to integrate the discussion functionality into a
larger web UI framework (i.e. discussion thread for the stereo should
appear on that catalog page, not jump to a separate discussion site).

This seems like it should be an ideal case for component-based
software: a relatively large set of commonly-used functionality, that
include all the major components of a J2EE solution: UI components
(JSP snippets or taglibs), app logic, persistence, and user
registration / tracking. So I assumed that this existed in some form
(commercial or open source) but have been surprised that I haven't
been able to find anything like this on the web. I am aware of
standalone Java-based solutions such as http://www.jivesoftware.com/
(which seems very nice), but these seem to be applications and not
components. So they could be embedded in a larger site, but generally
as a discussion section of the site rather than deeply integrated as
page components.

I've been out of the component software space for a few years so may
be using the wrong keywords in my searches. Does this exist as a
component solution per se? Or only in terms of frameworks or
standalone apps? I've seen discussion-thread-like functionality in
many J2EE apps out there -- does everyone roll their own?

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this, as I'm clearly
feeling a bit lost in this. If there is a better forum, please let me
know. Thanks in advance for your time and suggestions!

Ramon