J2EE limitations and disadvantages

Discussion in 'Java' started by Sean Winship, Dec 13, 2004.

  1. Sean Winship

    Sean Winship Guest

    Hello,

    I'm being pulled in to a J2EE project (application server, EJBs, JCA,
    the works). I have extensive Java experience (including JDBC, JMS,
    and servlets), but have thus far avoided full J2EE because my initial
    investigations of it led me to conclude that it is unnecessarily
    complex, and inelegant. It seems to be one of those techologies that
    force developers to spend more time fighting with it than solving the
    real business problem.

    Is this perception correct? To assist in my ramping up on this
    project, I would appreciate pointers to documented, real world
    experience. What problems does J2EE solve well? Where does it fall
    down? What is the cost relative to the benefits? Is it possible to
    use it only where it works well and to integrate it with alternatives,
    or is there too much coupling?

    I don't have the option of not using J2EE on this project, but I would
    like to know in advance where my fingers are likely to get pinched.

    Thanks,

    Sean

    Sean Winship, Dec 13, 2004