J2EE module / library for user management, authentication, ACL etcwith Tomcat?

Ramon

User management, user authentication, access control, user profiles,
user accounts

Hi --

I'm trying to find a 3rd party module, library or other framework to
allow for user registration, authentication, basic ACLs etc for a new
J2EE-based web application. We don't need anything fancy, but it would
be nice to support basic modern self-registration (register, get an
email confirmation with an encrypted key, etc) as well as the ability
to assign users to groups / roles for ACL control, and the ability to
suspend accounts or turn them off. I've been looking at the facilities
provided by the Rails (Ruby) and Django (Python) frameworks and was
hoping to find something similar for Tomcat, especially given how long
J2EE has been around, but I've had a hard time finding anything.

The closest thing I've found is this post from 5 years ago (!):

http://groups.google.com/group/comp...en&lnk=st&q=user+management+java+registration

But most of the links therein are fairly out of date. Any suggestions
on where to look?

Thanks in advance for your time,

Ramon

marcelomorales.name

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/browse_threa...

But most of the links therein are fairly out of date. Any suggestions
on where to look?

Thanks in advance for your time,

Ramon

Use a portal. I believe most portal servers can do everything you ask
for. At least jboss's do.

Ramon

Use a portal. I believe most portal servers can do everything you ask
for. At least jboss's do.
We're sitting on top of Tomcat right now, and moving to another
framework isn't an option. I guess I was assuming that this type of
functionality was fairly modularizable and that someone would have
built this generically. Maybe that's not the case?

Ramon

Arne Vajhøj

Ramon said:
We're sitting on top of Tomcat right now, and moving to another
framework isn't an option. I guess I was assuming that this type of
functionality was fairly modularizable and that someone would have
built this generically. Maybe that's not the case?

You can get a portal for Tomcat.

http://www.liferay.com/ do !

Arne

Frank Seidinger

Ramon said:
We're sitting on top of Tomcat right now, and moving to another
framework isn't an option. I guess I was assuming that this type of
functionality was fairly modularizable and that someone would have
built this generically. Maybe that's not the case?

You can use tomcat with JBoss as well. So development and deployment of
your app will not change. For authentication and authorization you can
use whatever is available as a plugable security module with JBoss.

JBoss services are configurable. So if you need only a tomcat, you have
this with JBoss as well. You will not need to start an ejb container,
jms, etc.

Frank.

Joined
Mar 25, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
liferay[.] com and
agriya [.] com
are the players in liferay ,

people can Use a portal from any one of above . I believe most portal servers can do everything you ask || that's true