J2ee: need another pair of eyes.

DaLoverhino

Hello. I am trying to learn J2EE. I've been poking around with the
following which seems like an infinite loop. I know I must be doing
something simply stupid, but I can't figure it out. Anyways, my
welcome-file, welcome.jsp forwards to gatherer.jsp which then forwards
back to welcome.jsp. Sounds like an infinite loop, but welcome.jsp
checks to see if a string is null, and this string is suppose to be set
in gatherer.jsp.

Anyways... here's the code (welcome.jsp, then gatherer.jsp):

<jsp:directive.page />

<head>
<title>Passing stuff around.</title>
</head>

String user = (String) session.getAttribute("user");
if( user == null) {
<jsp:forward page="WEB-INF/gatherer.jsp">
<jsp:param name="doWhat" value="getName" />
</jsp:forward>
}
else {
out.println( "Hello there, " + user + ". Nice to meet you.");
}

Now gatherer.jsp which is in WEB-INF subdirectory:

<jsp:directive.page
errorPage="/WEB-INF/errorPage.jsp" />

<%
String actionCode = request.getParameter( "doWhat");
session.setAttribute( "user", new String("Fred Flintstone"));
out.println( "The action requested was : " + actionCode + ". Heck
yeah.");
%>

Thanks.

HalcyonWild

DaLoverhino said:
Hello. I am trying to learn J2EE. I've been poking around with the
following which seems like an infinite loop. I know I must be doing
something simply stupid, but I can't figure it out. Anyways, my
welcome-file, welcome.jsp forwards to gatherer.jsp which then forwards
back to welcome.jsp. Sounds like an infinite loop, but welcome.jsp
checks to see if a string is null, and this string is suppose to be set
in gatherer.jsp.

Anyways... here's the code (welcome.jsp, then gatherer.jsp):

Anyway, what exactly is the error, you did not mention.
<jsp:directive.page />

<head>
<title>Passing stuff around.</title>
</head>

String user = (String) session.getAttribute("user");
if( user == null) {
<jsp:forward page="WEB-INF/gatherer.jsp">
<jsp:param name="doWhat" value="getName" />
</jsp:forward>
}
else {
out.println( "Hello there, " + user + ". Nice to meet you.");
}

Where are the JSP scriptlet tags. I assume you have them but did not
post here. If not, add them.

Now gatherer.jsp which is in WEB-INF subdirectory:

<jsp:directive.page
errorPage="/WEB-INF/errorPage.jsp" />

<%
String actionCode = request.getParameter( "doWhat");
session.setAttribute( "user", new String("Fred Flintstone"));
out.println( "The action requested was : " + actionCode + ". Heck
yeah.");
%>

Not really an endless loop if the value is being assigned properly. Any
diagnostic messages, any logs that are not being printed ? Post them
here.

Also, no need to keep the gatherer in Webinf folder. take it out.. keep
it in your webapps/myproject/ folder. Assuming that you are using
tomcat.