j2ee SDK, javax.* and j2ee implementations

T.G.

I know this is a rather basic question but somehow I never got a
complete answer, so gurus please shed some light on this:
when I try j2ee related sample code, like servlet, ejb etc, often on I
need some javax.* packages/classes, and naturally I go to Sun's java
website to download its j2ee sdk, but looks like it's just J2SE sdk +
sun's application server, so have 3 questions here:
1. are these javax.* packages available in any of these j2ee
implementations like Tomcat, JBoss?
2. do I need to download and install Sun's J2EE SDK at all if I don't
plan to use Sun's application server? if these javax.* packages
contains only interfaces that can be implemented by any vendor, I only
need to download one implementation right?
3. is there any convention to find a javax.* package/class/interface in
one particular j2ee implementation's jar files?

thanks in advance!

T.G.

Raymond DeCampo

T.G. said:
I know this is a rather basic question but somehow I never got a
complete answer, so gurus please shed some light on this:
when I try j2ee related sample code, like servlet, ejb etc, often on I
need some javax.* packages/classes, and naturally I go to Sun's java
website to download its j2ee sdk, but looks like it's just J2SE sdk +
sun's application server, so have 3 questions here:
1. are these javax.* packages available in any of these j2ee
implementations like Tomcat, JBoss?

Yes, although note that Tomcat is a web container, not a J2EE
application server.
2. do I need to download and install Sun's J2EE SDK at all if I don't
plan to use Sun's application server? if these javax.* packages
contains only interfaces that can be implemented by any vendor, I only
need to download one implementation right?
Correct.

3. is there any convention to find a javax.* package/class/interface in
one particular j2ee implementation's jar files?

Unfortunately not.
thanks in advance!

T.G.

HTH,