j2ee SDK, javax.* and j2ee implementations

Discussion in 'Java' started by T.G., Jan 3, 2006.

  1. T.G.

    T.G. Guest

    I know this is a rather basic question but somehow I never got a
    complete answer, so gurus please shed some light on this:
    when I try j2ee related sample code, like servlet, ejb etc, often on I
    need some javax.* packages/classes, and naturally I go to Sun's java
    website to download its j2ee sdk, but looks like it's just J2SE sdk +
    sun's application server, so have 3 questions here:
    1. are these javax.* packages available in any of these j2ee
    implementations like Tomcat, JBoss?
    2. do I need to download and install Sun's J2EE SDK at all if I don't
    plan to use Sun's application server? if these javax.* packages
    contains only interfaces that can be implemented by any vendor, I only
    need to download one implementation right?
    3. is there any convention to find a javax.* package/class/interface in
    one particular j2ee implementation's jar files?

    thanks in advance!

    T.G.

    T.G., Jan 3, 2006

  2. T.G. wrote:
    > I know this is a rather basic question but somehow I never got a
    > complete answer, so gurus please shed some light on this:
    > when I try j2ee related sample code, like servlet, ejb etc, often on I
    > need some javax.* packages/classes, and naturally I go to Sun's java
    > website to download its j2ee sdk, but looks like it's just J2SE sdk +
    > sun's application server, so have 3 questions here:
    > 1. are these javax.* packages available in any of these j2ee
    > implementations like Tomcat, JBoss?

    Yes, although note that Tomcat is a web container, not a J2EE
    application server.

    > 2. do I need to download and install Sun's J2EE SDK at all if I don't
    > plan to use Sun's application server? if these javax.* packages
    > contains only interfaces that can be implemented by any vendor, I only
    > need to download one implementation right?

    Correct.

    > 3. is there any convention to find a javax.* package/class/interface in
    > one particular j2ee implementation's jar files?

    Unfortunately not.

    > thanks in advance!
    >
    > T.G.

    HTH,