J2EE Security

Discussion in 'Java' started by Sezer Yilmaz, Jul 8, 2006.

  1. Sezer Yilmaz

    Sezer Yilmaz Guest

    Hello !
    Some months ago we began to learn Java in University.
    I know there's enough to learn in that field, but know I got in my head to
    learn
    implementing J2EE applications because I'm very interested in Client-Server
    programming and distributed systems. So I managed to run some example
    applications and now I want to write my first own J2EE code.
    Since I need some motivation, the application I write must not be nonsense
    and I want to learn some important J2EE basics. So the project I chose
    is the following:

    - Application Name: Internet Adressbook
    - Application Server: JBoss 4.04
    - DB Server: MySQL
    - Authentication and Authorization functions ( Has anyone ideas ? JAAS
    perhaps ? )
    - Frontend: Java Application, no Web-Tier

    Now my question or problem is the following:
    The Applicationserver must be on the Internet so that I can logon
    with the Client from anywhere. Is this a bad idea (concerning security) ?
    Can I secure the communication between the client and the
    "business logic", the EJB's ? And what about the JNDI lookups ?
    What if someone else overwrites my registred objects to sniff
    important information etc. Is it possible to secure the JNDI
    lookups or is it even possible to "hardcode" the requests so
    that the JNDI lookups are no longer necessary and the security gap is closed
    ?

    I'm very interested in your opinion about all that.
    Thank you for your advices in advance.

    Greetings
    Sezer
    Sezer Yilmaz, Jul 8, 2006