[J2EE] Standard asynchronous call

zebulon

Hi,
I am looking for the standard way of calling a method of a class (POJO or
not) asynchronously within a J2EE developpement (for exemple within a
servlet) ?
I believe launching a new thread is forbidden (at least not advised) in a
J2EE environnement. Do you confirm that ?
Using a JMS provider and an MDB, is the only standard way ? if yes, isn't
that heavy for a basic issue like this one ?

thanks

Raymond DeCampo

zebulon said:
Hi,
I am looking for the standard way of calling a method of a class (POJO or
not) asynchronously within a J2EE developpement (for exemple within a
servlet) ?
I believe launching a new thread is forbidden (at least not advised) in a
J2EE environnement. Do you confirm that ?

New threads are forbidden in the EJB container. The web container
allows new threads.
Using a JMS provider and an MDB, is the only standard way ? if yes, isn't
that heavy for a basic issue like this one ?

Doesn't seem too heavy for me. Messaging is the standard answer to
asynchronous requests regardless of language. An MDB is not complicated
(not like entity or even session beans).

HTH,
Ray