    how can one implement a connection pool toward this web service within
    Websphere in a standard fashion ?

    , Dec 13, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > Within a J2EE application server, one use a datasource and thus a
    > connection pool to access the database. Same, accessing MQ (via a
    > connection Factory).
    > Every connection to a remote server is generally done via container
    > managed connections (?)
    > Does that still make sens regarding web services ?
    > If our application needs to invoque a single webservice (very often),
    > how can one implement a connection pool toward this web service within
    > Websphere in a standard fashion ?

    If I got your question right, are you comparing a web service call to a
    database call? When you call a web service (as a consumer), it is over
    HTTP (mostly). Since HTTP is a stateless protocol, you cannot possibly
    have a pool of HTTP Connections waiting around to be used. Basically,
    you should not be comparing a database connection with an HTTP
    connection in this context.

    I hope this helps - please post more information in case my
    understanding is incorrect.

    -cheers,
    Manish

    Manish Pandit, Dec 13, 2006

    thanks,
    I understand that http is stateless and jdbc is not but this does not
    explain me why we couldn't have a pool of (stateless) socket ready to
    use toward my web service (in order to avoid the overhead of the tcp/ip
    handshake)

    Manish Pandit a écrit :

    > wrote:
    > > Within a J2EE application server, one use a datasource and thus a
    > > connection pool to access the database. Same, accessing MQ (via a
    > > connection Factory).
    > > Every connection to a remote server is generally done via container
    > > managed connections (?)
    > > Does that still make sens regarding web services ?
    > > If our application needs to invoque a single webservice (very often),
    > > how can one implement a connection pool toward this web service within
    > > Websphere in a standard fashion ?

    > If I got your question right, are you comparing a web service call to a
    > database call? When you call a web service (as a consumer), it is over
    > HTTP (mostly). Since HTTP is a stateless protocol, you cannot possibly
    > have a pool of HTTP Connections waiting around to be used. Basically,
    > you should not be comparing a database connection with an HTTP
    > connection in this context.
    >
    > I hope this helps - please post more information in case my
    > understanding is incorrect.
    >
    > -cheers,
    > Manish

    , Dec 18, 2006