[J2EE] webservice connection pool

olivier.girard

Within a J2EE application server, one use a datasource and thus a
connection pool to access the database. Same, accessing MQ (via a
connection Factory).
Every connection to a remote server is generally done via container
managed connections (?)
Does that still make sens regarding web services ?
If our application needs to invoque a single webservice (very often),
how can one implement a connection pool toward this web service within
Websphere in a standard fashion ?

Manish Pandit

Within a J2EE application server, one use a datasource and thus a
connection pool to access the database. Same, accessing MQ (via a
connection Factory).
Every connection to a remote server is generally done via container
managed connections (?)
Does that still make sens regarding web services ?
If our application needs to invoque a single webservice (very often),
how can one implement a connection pool toward this web service within
Websphere in a standard fashion ?

If I got your question right, are you comparing a web service call to a
database call? When you call a web service (as a consumer), it is over
HTTP (mostly). Since HTTP is a stateless protocol, you cannot possibly
have a pool of HTTP Connections waiting around to be used. Basically,
you should not be comparing a database connection with an HTTP
connection in this context.

I hope this helps - please post more information in case my
understanding is incorrect.

-cheers,
Manish

olivier.girard

thanks,
I understand that http is stateless and jdbc is not but this does not
explain me why we couldn't have a pool of (stateless) socket ready to
use toward my web service (in order to avoid the overhead of the tcp/ip
handshake)