J2ME development logistics

Discussion in 'Java' started by Chris Smith, Jul 20, 2005.

  1. Chris Smith

    Chris Smith Guest

    Good day, everyone.

    I've finally decided to bite the bullet and start working out J2ME in my
    spare time in anticipation of a future project at work. The most
    serious difficulties here seem to be related not to programming, but
    rather logistics. I'm wondering if anyone's found a good solution to
    these issues and is willing to share.

    - Phone pricing is heavily inflated because everyone else is getting
    huge discounts for new service agreements. Reasonable J2ME phone
    development would seem to require at least phones implementing each of
    MIDP 1.0 and 2.0, preferably with at least two vastly different screen
    sizes in each MIDP version. At the moment, that looks like a close-to-
    US$2000 investment, which is way beyond my means. Any better plans,
    besides the "test in an emulator and pray a lot" approach? In my
    experience so far, effortless portability is basically non-existent with
    J2ME, so emulators don't impress me much.

    - Is there a wireless provider out there that will allow up to four or
    five phones on the same phone line? Better yet, will any provider work
    with several of those phones simultaneously connected to the internet?

    Also, I'm working with EclipseME, which I like very much so far... but
    are there other tools I should look at, preferably inside of Eclipse?

    Thanks,

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation

    Chris Smith, Jul 20, 2005

  2. "Chris Smith" <> wrote in message

    > - Phone pricing is heavily inflated because everyone else is getting
    > huge discounts for new service agreements. Reasonable J2ME phone
    > development would seem to require at least phones implementing each of
    > MIDP 1.0 and 2.0, preferably with at least two vastly different screen
    > sizes in each MIDP version. At the moment, that looks like a
    > close-to-
    > US$2000 investment, which is way beyond my means. Any better plans,
    > besides the "test in an emulator and pray a lot" approach? In my
    > experience so far, effortless portability is basically non-existent
    > with
    > J2ME, so emulators don't impress me much.

    Here's what I do: I code primarily for one phone, the one I
    personally own. When it's all done and working (and I have implemented
    printing debug info on the screen, so I can easily pin-point the source
    file and line the error occured at), I will ask friends to try it on
    their phones. If something does not work, I'll hope I can work it out
    with the debug ino and the emulator for their phones. But it is still a
    long way until I get to that stage, so I cannot tell if that plan is a
    good one.

    > Also, I'm working with EclipseME, which I like very much so far... but
    > are there other tools I should look at, preferably inside of Eclipse?

    You might want to have a look at netbeans. I will not compare the
    two, let alone give advice on which is better (in fact, I have not even
    used eclipse). Here's also a great guide on how to set it (netbeans) up
    for mobile development:
    http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/delabassee?entry=on_device_debugging

    regards
    --
    jb

    Jakob Bieling, Jul 20, 2005

  3. Chris Smith

    orson Guest

    hi,
    sorry for asking here but I can't find the answer for my midp problems.
    My application works perfectly on nokia 6600 (small problem with
    alerts) even better on 6630 (the problem with alerts gone). But I still
    have some questions.
    1) I would like to filter list of objects (List). Now I have to set
    filter value by ChoiceGroup.Popup object and then reload whole display.
    Is it possible to use ItemStateListener for this only. It works on
    DefaultColorDevice but doesn't want to work on real phones (6600, 6630
    or 3230).
    2) Is it possible to sort data using RecordComparator by more than one
    key. I tried to put another if-then-else part when two objets are equal
    but it doesn't want to work.
    3) Why application works well on 6600 and 6630 but on 6260 it almost
    every display change alerts with (no data) but than works. sometimes
    even closes application with an error - it is hard to find what error
    (think that it is KERN-EXEC 3)
    4) when trying to test application on 60series emulator by nokia it
    closes program every time I use RMS. The same application works ok on
    DefaultColorDevice

    thx for every comment and answer
    Orson

    orson, Jul 20, 2005