J2ME development logistics

Chris Smith

Good day, everyone.

I've finally decided to bite the bullet and start working out J2ME in my
spare time in anticipation of a future project at work. The most
serious difficulties here seem to be related not to programming, but
rather logistics. I'm wondering if anyone's found a good solution to
these issues and is willing to share.

- Phone pricing is heavily inflated because everyone else is getting
huge discounts for new service agreements. Reasonable J2ME phone
development would seem to require at least phones implementing each of
MIDP 1.0 and 2.0, preferably with at least two vastly different screen
sizes in each MIDP version. At the moment, that looks like a close-to-
US$2000 investment, which is way beyond my means. Any better plans,
besides the "test in an emulator and pray a lot" approach? In my
experience so far, effortless portability is basically non-existent with
J2ME, so emulators don't impress me much.

- Is there a wireless provider out there that will allow up to four or
five phones on the same phone line? Better yet, will any provider work
with several of those phones simultaneously connected to the internet?

Also, I'm working with EclipseME, which I like very much so far... but
are there other tools I should look at, preferably inside of Eclipse?

Thanks,

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Jakob Bieling

- Phone pricing is heavily inflated because everyone else is getting
huge discounts for new service agreements. Reasonable J2ME phone
development would seem to require at least phones implementing each of
MIDP 1.0 and 2.0, preferably with at least two vastly different screen
sizes in each MIDP version. At the moment, that looks like a
close-to-
US$2000 investment, which is way beyond my means. Any better plans,
besides the "test in an emulator and pray a lot" approach? In my
experience so far, effortless portability is basically non-existent
with
J2ME, so emulators don't impress me much.

Here's what I do: I code primarily for one phone, the one I
personally own. When it's all done and working (and I have implemented
printing debug info on the screen, so I can easily pin-point the source
file and line the error occured at), I will ask friends to try it on
their phones. If something does not work, I'll hope I can work it out
with the debug ino and the emulator for their phones. But it is still a
long way until I get to that stage, so I cannot tell if that plan is a
good one.
Also, I'm working with EclipseME, which I like very much so far... but
are there other tools I should look at, preferably inside of Eclipse?

You might want to have a look at netbeans. I will not compare the
two, let alone give advice on which is better (in fact, I have not even
used eclipse). Here's also a great guide on how to set it (netbeans) up
for mobile development:
http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/delabassee?entry=on_device_debugging

regards

orson

hi,
sorry for asking here but I can't find the answer for my midp problems.
My application works perfectly on nokia 6600 (small problem with
alerts) even better on 6630 (the problem with alerts gone). But I still
have some questions.
1) I would like to filter list of objects (List). Now I have to set
filter value by ChoiceGroup.Popup object and then reload whole display.
Is it possible to use ItemStateListener for this only. It works on
DefaultColorDevice but doesn't want to work on real phones (6600, 6630
or 3230).
2) Is it possible to sort data using RecordComparator by more than one
key. I tried to put another if-then-else part when two objets are equal
but it doesn't want to work.
3) Why application works well on 6600 and 6630 but on 6260 it almost
every display change alerts with (no data) but than works. sometimes
even closes application with an error - it is hard to find what error
(think that it is KERN-EXEC 3)
4) when trying to test application on 60series emulator by nokia it
closes program every time I use RMS. The same application works ok on
DefaultColorDevice

thx for every comment and answer
Orson