    How can I protect it?

    Bes regards,
    Boki.

    boki, Apr 6, 2005

  2. Hi,

    There are many available tools to do what you want :

    Search for "java obfuscation"

    Regards,

    Arnaud

    Arnaud Berger, Apr 6, 2005

  3. boki

    Boki Guest

    Thank you very much.
    Hi, I found some.... but...

    Could you please recommand me one you like :D

    Thank you so much!!

    Best regards,
    Boki.

    "Arnaud Berger" <> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:d300mc$lmi$...

    Boki, Apr 6, 2005
  4. Hi,

    Sorry, bit I've never really needed obfuscation, so I wouldn't be able to
    advise you on obfuscators.

    I remember of obfuscated code where methods and attributes names were
    replaced
    by reserved keywords (if, else, switch) !
    This is perfect because no editor will let you edit such a code correctly,
    but I don't know which tool does this.

    Also, replacements by short names ( a, b, c ..) is good because it prevents
    from massive replacements
    by people decompiling the classes.

    Regards,

    Arnaud

    "Boki" <> a écrit dans le message news:
    d307vf$58f$...
    > Thank you very much.
    > Hi, I found some.... but...
    >
    > Could you please recommand me one you like :D
    >
    > Thank you so much!!
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Boki.
    >
    > "Arnaud Berger" <>

    ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:d300mc$lmi$...

    Arnaud Berger, Apr 6, 2005
  5. boki

    Daniel Dyer Guest

    On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 09:51:58 +0100, Boki <> wrote:

    > Thank you very much.
    > Hi, I found some.... but...
    >
    > Could you please recommand me one you like :D
    >
    > Thank you so much!!
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Boki.

    Proguard (http://proguard.sourceforge.net) is a good, free obfuscator.

    Dan.

    --
    Daniel Dyer
    http://www.footballpredictions.net

    Daniel Dyer, Apr 6, 2005
  6. <not a beginner issue, redirecting followup to c.l.j.programmer only>

    boki wrote:

    > Hi All,
    > Thanks for help.
    > I want to package/protect my source code for distribution, but user
    > can easily decompress JAR file to java souce code.
    >
    > How can I protect it?

    Obfuscation issues aside, have you thought about patents? If you have a
    patent/copyright on your source code, then decompiling the source will
    constitute a copyright infringement.

    --
    -Aki "Sus" Laukkanen
    "Älä multa kysy tai mä vastaan!"

    Aki \Sus\ Laukkanen, Apr 6, 2005
  7. boki

    Boki Guest

    Great! Thanks a lot!

    Best regards,
    Boki.

    "Arnaud Berger" <> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:d308l7$3j0$...

    Boki, Apr 6, 2005
  8. boki

    Boki Guest

    You are the one. Thanks!

    Best regards,
    Boki.

    "Daniel Dyer" <>
    ???????:eek:...

    Boki, Apr 6, 2005
  9. boki

    Boki Guest

    Hi,
    I guess, even for noncommercial reason, people still like to
    decompiling it, me too. :)
    So, I have to protect it.

    Thank you for advice!

    Best regards,
    Boki.

    "Aki "Sus" Laukkanen" <>
    ???????:d3097c$kus$...

    Boki, Apr 6, 2005
  10. Just a link with many thoughts on obfuscation :

    http://www.mindprod.com/jgloss/obfuscator.html

    Arnaud Berger, Apr 6, 2005
  11. Just a good link about obfuscation

    Arnaud Berger, Apr 6, 2005
  12. boki

    Boki Guest

    :D catch u!

    Best regards,
    Boki.
    "Arnaud Berger" <> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:d30ape$52p$...

    Boki, Apr 6, 2005
  13. boki

    Ray Ingles Guest

    In article <d3097c$kus$>, Aki "Sus" Laukkanen wrote:

    > Obfuscation issues aside, have you thought about patents? If you have a
    > patent/copyright on your source code, then decompiling the source will
    > constitute a copyright infringement.

    Um, no, patents are different from copyrights. A patent has a much more
    limited term (~17 years) but you own the idea, nobody else can use the
    idea without your permission. A copyright lasts much longer (your life
    plus ~70 years) but you only own, essentially, that particular sequence
    of bytes. Someone can rewrite the same thing from scratch and you've got
    nothing on them.

    Me, I don't think software patents should be allowed, and I'm not
    alone:
    http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/Patents/industry-at-risk.html

    --

    Sincerely,

    Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

    "If one is really a superior person, the fact is likely to
    leak out without too much assistance." - John Andrew Holmes

    Ray Ingles, Apr 6, 2005
  14. On 6 Apr 2005 10:46:13 -0500, Ray Ingles <>
    wrote:

    > patents are different from copyrights. A patent has a much more
    >limited term (~17 years) but you own the idea, nobody else can use the
    >idea without your permission.

    DISCLAIMER - I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY

    You absolutely don't own the idea.

    A patent gives rights to a particular expression or implementation of
    an idea and to derivatives based on that expression or implementation.
    Other expressions of the idea are still possible as are other uses.

    Algorithms are considered mathematics and are not patentable. A
    patent can only apply to the particular use of an algorithm for a
    specific purpose as a step in a specific application (or range of
    similar applications). There may be non-infriging direct uses of the
    algorithm as well as non-infriging uses for derivatives of the
    algorithm.

    It all depends on how clever you are at coming up with novel uses for
    your idea and how clever your attorney is at covering those uses and
    their derivatives in the patent claims.

    If you have questions consult an IP attorney.

    DISCLAIMER - I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY

    > Me, I don't think software patents should be allowed, and I'm not
    >alone:
    > http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/Patents/industry-at-risk.html

    I don't think so either.

    George
    --
    for email reply remove "/" from address

    George Neuner, Apr 8, 2005
  15. boki wrote:
    > Hi All,
    > Thanks for help.
    > I want to package/protect my source code for distribution, but user
    > can easily decompress JAR file to java souce code.
    >
    > How can I protect it?

    Use an obfuscator, such as ProGuard. The WTK will handle obfuscation for
    you if you provide the ProGuard JAR file.

    --
    Darryl L. Pierce <>
    Visit my homepage: http://mcpierce.multiply.com

    Darryl Pierce, Apr 11, 2005
  16. Boki wrote:
    > Thank you very much.
    > Hi, I found some.... but...
    >
    > Could you please recommand me one you like :D

    ProGuard.

    Darryl Pierce, Apr 11, 2005
  17. Aki "Sus" Laukkanen wrote:
    > Obfuscation issues aside, have you thought about patents? If you have a
    > patent/copyright on your source code, then decompiling the source will
    > constitute a copyright infringement.

    No, it won't. Patents and copyrights are not the same thing or
    interchangeable at all. Patents protect *IDEAS*, not implementations.
    Copyrights protect *IMPLEMENTATIONS* and not ideas. If you patent
    something then you prevent someone else from creating their own
    implementation of your idea.

    Besides, you would have a hard time proving someone decompiled your code
    (which does *not* violate copyrights or patents).

    Darryl Pierce, Apr 11, 2005
  18. boki

    Boki Guest

    Done. :)