J2ME, How to package/protect souce code?

boki

Hi All,
Thanks for help.
I want to package/protect my source code for distribution, but user
can easily decompress JAR file to java souce code.

How can I protect it?

Bes regards,
Boki.

Arnaud Berger

Hi,

There are many available tools to do what you want :

Search for "java obfuscation"

Regards,

Arnaud

Boki

Thank you very much.
Hi, I found some.... but...

Could you please recommand me one you like :D

Thank you so much!!

Best regards,
Boki.

Arnaud Berger

Hi,

Sorry, bit I've never really needed obfuscation, so I wouldn't be able to
advise you on obfuscators.

I remember of obfuscated code where methods and attributes names were
replaced
by reserved keywords (if, else, switch) !
This is perfect because no editor will let you edit such a code correctly,
but I don't know which tool does this.

Also, replacements by short names ( a, b, c ..) is good because it prevents
from massive replacements
by people decompiling the classes.

Regards,

Arnaud

Aki \Sus\ Laukkanen

<not a beginner issue, redirecting followup to c.l.j.programmer only>
Hi All,
Thanks for help.
I want to package/protect my source code for distribution, but user
can easily decompress JAR file to java souce code.

How can I protect it?

Obfuscation issues aside, have you thought about patents? If you have a
patent/copyright on your source code, then decompiling the source will
constitute a copyright infringement.

Boki

Great! Thanks a lot!

Best regards,
Boki.

Arnaud Berger said:
Hi,

Sorry, bit I've never really needed obfuscation, so I wouldn't be able to
advise you on obfuscators.

I remember of obfuscated code where methods and attributes names were
replaced
by reserved keywords (if, else, switch) !
This is perfect because no editor will let you edit such a code correctly,
but I don't know which tool does this.

Also, replacements by short names ( a, b, c ..) is good because it
prevents
from massive replacements
by people decompiling the classes.

Regards,

Arnaud

Boki

Hi,
I guess, even for noncommercial reason, people still like to
decompiling it, me too. :)
So, I have to protect it.

Thank you for advice!

Best regards,
Boki.

"Aki "Sus" Laukkanen" <[email protected]>
???????:[email protected]...

<not a beginner issue, redirecting followup to c.l.j.programmer only>
Hi All,
Thanks for help.
I want to package/protect my source code for distribution, but user
can easily decompress JAR file to java souce code.
How can I protect it?

Obfuscation issues aside, have you thought about patents? If you have a
patent/copyright on your source code, then decompiling the source will
constitute a copyright infringement.

Ray Ingles

Obfuscation issues aside, have you thought about patents? If you have a
patent/copyright on your source code, then decompiling the source will
constitute a copyright infringement.

Um, no, patents are different from copyrights. A patent has a much more
limited term (~17 years) but you own the idea, nobody else can use the
idea without your permission. A copyright lasts much longer (your life
plus ~70 years) but you only own, essentially, that particular sequence
of bytes. Someone can rewrite the same thing from scratch and you've got
nothing on them.

Me, I don't think software patents should be allowed, and I'm not
alone:
http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/Patents/industry-at-risk.html

--

Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

"If one is really a superior person, the fact is likely to
leak out without too much assistance." - John Andrew Holmes

George Neuner

patents are different from copyrights. A patent has a much more
limited term (~17 years) but you own the idea, nobody else can use the
idea without your permission.

DISCLAIMER - I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY

You absolutely don't own the idea.

A patent gives rights to a particular expression or implementation of
an idea and to derivatives based on that expression or implementation.
Other expressions of the idea are still possible as are other uses.

Algorithms are considered mathematics and are not patentable. A
patent can only apply to the particular use of an algorithm for a
specific purpose as a step in a specific application (or range of
similar applications). There may be non-infriging direct uses of the
algorithm as well as non-infriging uses for derivatives of the
algorithm.

It all depends on how clever you are at coming up with novel uses for
your idea and how clever your attorney is at covering those uses and
their derivatives in the patent claims.

If you have questions consult an IP attorney.

DISCLAIMER - I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY

Me, I don't think software patents should be allowed, and I'm not
alone:
http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/Patents/industry-at-risk.html

I don't think so either.

George

Darryl Pierce

boki said:
Hi All,
Thanks for help.
I want to package/protect my source code for distribution, but user
can easily decompress JAR file to java souce code.

How can I protect it?

Use an obfuscator, such as ProGuard. The WTK will handle obfuscation for
you if you provide the ProGuard JAR file.

Darryl Pierce

Aki said:
Obfuscation issues aside, have you thought about patents? If you have a
patent/copyright on your source code, then decompiling the source will
constitute a copyright infringement.

No, it won't. Patents and copyrights are not the same thing or
interchangeable at all. Patents protect *IDEAS*, not implementations.
Copyrights protect *IMPLEMENTATIONS* and not ideas. If you patent
something then you prevent someone else from creating their own
implementation of your idea.

Besides, you would have a hard time proving someone decompiled your code
(which does *not* violate copyrights or patents).